Anybody here recently get a CDL?

With some of the changes to the law in the last few years, having a CDL at all is becoming a big pain in the rear. 

I don't recall the written test being very expensive. I think just the test was something like $12.00. After my road test I had to get a new license with my CDL info printed on it, that cost me the replacement license fee. Renewals are more expensive, and must be done in person at the DMV. No more renewing by mail. 

That's just off the top of my head...:lol:

Guest RedLights&Sirens
I have not read other responses so if this information is repeated, sorry.

The health card is the easiest of the process. Go to most doctors offices and tell them you need a DOT Physical. They will screen you on hearing, vision, vitals and a couple other things. Its almost useless really. They fill out a card that you are required to keep with your license and up to date at all times. DOT Physical is every two years if in good health or every year if less than good.

The driving test will be a road and static course. The road course is wherever they tell you to go. The static course is in a parking lot, you will conduct a pre-trip inspection of your vehicle prior to driving an obstical course in the lot. Its really pretty easy if your allowed enough practice to develop reference points on where to stop.

There is so much more I can add really but its been a long day. Sorry. Goodluck!

No hazmat endorsement required. I think the cost is 40 something dollars. I'll only need to renew it once most likely. Mainly, it sounds like a pretty good PITA for something I'm almost sure I'll never use, need, or want. Such is life I supose.

The pre-trip is what fails most people.

There's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.

No hazmat endorsement required. I think the cost is 40 something dollars. I'll only need to renew it once most likely. Mainly, it sounds like a pretty good PITA for something I'm almost sure I'll never use, need, or want. Such is life I supose.

There's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.

I wish i could find a job that paid as well as my current one, but didn't require a CDL. I love my job, but the BS that comes along with a CDL is a royal PITA. I hope to be able to move onto something else one of these days.

What does the physical involve? I'm not a fan of doctors. On the odd occasion I need to go, I usually go to my friend's wife. I'm not comfortable with her checking a prostate, hernia, etc. You know what I mean?

Just renewed my Class A last week, and even though I'm not driving for a buck (or expect to) wanted to keep it just in case, had to get a new DOT physical to renew it.

Looking at the long form they give you:

- General health history questions
- Vision test (using standard eye chart), but be 20/40 corrected in each eye and with both eyes. Peripheral must be at least 70 degrees
- Hearing, "forced whisper" at 5 feet, they often don't mess with that if it seems to can hear okay during conversation. Can use audiometer, but most don't.
- Blood Pressure, must be equal or less than 140/90 for full two year certification
- Urine sample tested for specific gravity, protein, blood, and sugar, not sure what procedure is if found out of spec
- General cursory body checkup, heart/lungs, mouth/throat, ears, abdominal probe, grip, balance, etc. No finger up ass or in scrotum. :)

Far as the test with truck, been over 10 years ago, but back then at least it was tough to pass the pre-trip without some advance coaching, no matter how well you actually knew everything -- you have to go from back to front, explaining, touching, naming, etc, you don't just respond to questions, can't leave hardly anything out.

Don't remember what original CDL cost, but renewal was $66 for 5 years, and the DOT physical was $55 for two years.

I only have T endorsement (double/triple trailers) - never even hooked one up, btw, no special test for that, even written best I remember.

The HazMat has turned into big whup, dropped mine after first renewal -- besides extra fee and testing, background check and whatever.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The pretrip is the hardest part. If you can drive, you can drive a truck. Shifting might get you if you don't know how to double clutch or float the gears. That might take some time if you can't find an automatically shifting manual to test in. The written test is easy, the driving portion is easy. The health card is all up to you, easy or not based on your health. Vision and certain health issues, such as diabetes can instantly fail you.

The pretrip is a nightmare, something like 140 points they can check you on. You have to all the way around, tires, brakes, air system, fuel, etc, touching, naming and describing good or bad. 

My company has used a private tester for years, and that is the route I suggest if you can.

• Like 1
Ive had a class A57 cdl for several years. The 57 restriction means can pull a trailer over 10,000 pounds except tractor trailer. The last time I renewed they changed it to a regular class A license for whatever reason which was fine with me. Also anyone driving for a goverment agency does not need a health card. I have to show them my city ID when at the DMV in place of a health card. It will be a 52 restriction and will say goverment use only on your license. As for the tancker endorsement. When I got mine, you had to have your CDL a year before you could take the test. Edited by Bad_Bowtie

Also anyone driving for a goverment agency does not need a health card.

...yet it is one of the many required items you bring with you to take the written test. Don't you just love government?

My company has used a private tester for years, and that is the route I suggest if you can.

I believe our maintenance division has some provision for administering the pre trip and driving test in-house.

What I need first is to get through the written test. I'm going to leave teaching me to drive a truck to my employer.