Car Question

Guest catskratch

Guest catskratch

After saying hello in the new members board, I figured I'd come here with the question I wanted to ask in the first place.

A few nights ago I was taking dinner to my wife. I had just gotten my HCP last week and a nice holster so I thought about carrying it with me for the first time. I changed my mind last minute since I really wasn't going to be gone long (and yes, I know the SHTF at any time but still). As I was heading there, a cop pulled me over. Seems my tags had expired and thankfully I only got a warning.

But to my point, whats considered the proper way to carry one's handgun while going someplace. Since I have a HCP am I ok to have it on my person, or do I need to stow it someplace? Loaded or unloaded? Whats the general rule of thumb just so I know the next time I go out. This is only the 3rd time I've been pulled over in my entire life so this doesn't happen that often, but I was curious since I had thought about it before I actually left. Thanks in advance!

Mike

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While in Tenn. since you have your HCP you are good to keep the weapon on your person with one in the pipe. Other states differ some from that but as stated you are good to go in TN with the gun on you in your holster, pocket holster, or actually where ever since you have your HCP. Hope this helps! Stay safe and stay armed!

Guest Todd@CIS
Just curious, didn't your HCP class instructor go over this with you? He should have!

+1

These basic questions should have been answered in your HCP class...you either had a terrible instructor or you should have stayed awake. :D

Where to carry is just a personal preference. Front pants pocket, belt, ankle, etc. A piece of advice, once you find your "spot," consistancy is the key.

Oh, and an unloaded gun is worthless.

Regards

Guest sling

Catscratch,

We're not making fun of you... so dont take any of the criticism the wrong way.

But, as others have said, this really should have been something covered in your initial carry course.

also Mr. Anderson was right. you're welcome to carry it where ever you care to carry it, in what ever condition you wish to carry it!

In Tn, its a HANDGUN carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so concealment isn't mandatory. it is a good idea most times though.

a good iwb holster will help, or a low profile paddle holster..what ever blows your skirt up:D......

I will also add that Todd is also right...an unloaded firearm is just an expensive ROCK.

Guest Ranger Rick
After saying hello in the new members board, I figured I'd come here with the question I wanted to ask in the first place.

A few nights ago I was taking dinner to my wife. I had just gotten my HCP last week and a nice holster so I thought about carrying it with me for the first time. I changed my mind last minute since I really wasn't going to be gone long (and yes, I know the SHTF at any time but still). As I was heading there, a cop pulled me over. Seems my tags had expired and thankfully I only got a warning.

But to my point, whats considered the proper way to carry one's handgun while going someplace. Since I have a HCP am I ok to have it on my person, or do I need to stow it someplace? Loaded or unloaded? Whats the general rule of thumb just so I know the next time I go out. This is only the 3rd time I've been pulled over in my entire life so this doesn't happen that often, but I was curious since I had thought about it before I actually left. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Mike,

Don't worry about the grief on not getting info in your class. :D I went thru what I thought (and still do) was a great HCP class this Spring... and I don't specifically remember any discussion about "how most people carry in their car." I do remember it being ok to have a loaded firearm, ready to go bang (compared to the separate ammo/gun rules for non HCP)... but, that is one of the reasons I got a HCP to begin with.

To answer your question... I would guess that most people are going to wear their gun in the car. I have an IWB holster (Super-Tuck) and my firearm stays on me and concealed. Honestly, it's too much trouble to take it out and then re-conceal (tuck the shirt in) it when I get where I'm going.

I do have a lockable safe in my vehicle so I can put my firearm safely away when going in somewhere that is posted or otherwise unable to enter (like a food establishment that serves alcohol). Most of the time, I still wear the holster though, so when I get back out of the "gun free zone"... the firearm goes back on my hip.

Also, I guess from a practical point of view... I can get to my firearm quickest in my car when it's on me too. If I've got to get it out in a hurry... it being "on me" is going to not make me look away from a potential threat to get it. Make sense?

I carry locked and loaded. I do carry a pistol with a manual external safety (Taurus PT111). I just feel better about shoving it in my holster than I would about one without the external safety (like my Glock). Opinions vary. Carry what your comfort level allows. And keep reading this forum... and you'll find out the "why" of what people are normally doing.

Stopped by a LEO again, I'ld hand him/her your HCP with your DL. He's gonna find out you've got it anyway when he runs your DL. Then he might wonder why you did not tell him. I would. It's just a nice thing to do. I would do it even if I did not have my firearm with me. After giving them to him he'll tell you how he wishes to proceed. He could disarm you if he felt you were a threat. Most of the time, they will just ask you if you're carrying. After your "yes, on my right hip, round in the chamber." They'll ignore it and continue with the reason for the stop. Reasonable guess... most LEOs are not going to want you to pull out your pistol cause it will increase the chance of an accidental discharge :woohoo: by a nervous HCPer.

Carry your firearm around the house on you. Drive out to Walmart and walk around the store with it. Do the things you normally do with it on you. After a while it will feel like... just what it is... a tool you practice with a lot, but rarely use.

One thing you will notice, however... you'll walk a little different. Not because there are a few more pounds on your belt. But, because you're a little different inside. Weird, but true. You'll see. Trust ol Ranger Rick :down:

Edited by Ranger Rick
clarify
..... Stopped by a LEO again, I'ld hand him/her your HCP with your DL. He's gonna find out you've got it anyway when he runs your DL......

There is no requirement to hand the LEO your HCP unless they ask for it.

The LEO will not be automatically alerted that you have a HCP when they run your DL.

In order to find out if you have a HCP during the DL run the LEO must request that information.

Edited by DMark

The LEO will not be automatically alerted that you have a HCP when they run your DL.

In order to find out if you have a HCP during the DL run the LEO must request that information.

I agree with your first statement. I feel each situation is unique as to when (if at all) you should notify an officer you have a HCP and you are armed. In no way would I bring up or show my HCP if for some reason I was unarmed at the time.

But your last two statements are incorrect. As others have stated your HCP number and DL number are the same. As far as what is in the state's database they are the same thing.

When an officer runs your DL it will come back with your Name, Address, etc.. and whether you have a HCP or not. There is simply a field called Gun Permit and it will have a Y or N.

Of course it would be up to the dispatcher to tell the officer of the HCP status, most I know do whether requsted or not, but some may not.

And to the OP, with a HCP carry however you want in whatever condition you want.

Guest janwbrown616

Most of the time when I'm stopped, I usually tell the LEO that I'm armed. IF he want's to see my permit, I'll show him.

GUess it sounds crazy, but, I prefer to tell him up front if necessary. I don't actually carry a permit tho. I have my Retired LEO badge, which usually works. Advising him I'm armed also, gives me an excuse to show him my badge without looking like I'm asking for special treatment.

Sometimes it works,sometimes.....

..... Of course it would be up to the dispatcher to tell the officer of the HCP status.......

So my statement that HCP status is not "automatically" provided & the LEO must "request" (or be given) makes my statements correct. :rolleyes:

I have LEOs in the family at the local/state/federal level from rookie patrol officer to SES-2 and they tell be that HCP status is not something given to them when the DL is run - - - not that the Federal LEO would ever ask. ;)

In fact it brings out all sort of "probable cause" issues to even request the information during a normal traffic stop....., which the lawyers in my family like to point out. :lol:

BUT - - - When the officer asks you to step out of the car it becomes a whole new ballgame. At that point they like you to have both hands on the steering wheel and slowly say, "Officer, I have a Carry Permit......, I am currently carrying......, how do you wish for me to proceed?"

Whatever you do don't use the word "handgun/gun/firearm/pistol/hogleg, etc., etc. since that might be the only thing the officer hears just as he draws his weapon on you. :dropjaw:

Guest Todd@CIS

I agree with your first statement.

As for your 2nd and 3rd, it depends.

At my Dept, officers with computers in their cars, it automatically pops up when a DL is run.

Officers without computers in their cars? It's my agency's policy for the dispatcher to automatically advise the officer of HCP status.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Actually, I've only been stopped once since I've have had my HCP. Speeding a bit in Blountville. I presented my DL and did tell the officer I had my handgun and asked if he wanted to see my permit. He ran my DL, declining other stuff and just warned me.

Wonder if I should have told him about the trunk full of military munitions? :rolleyes:

Guest catskratch

Thanks everyone for your replies! I feel a lot better about carrying my gun with me in the car. And I'm not offended or anything about the comments concerning where I took my lessons. They covered where not to carry, so I guess one would assume that any place else is considered ok. They did show some video with a skit of this lady being pulled over and not telling the LEO that she had a HCP and the officer saw her gun and did the probably standard procedure of drawing his gun and getting her out of the car. So yeah, I just wanted to make sure of the proper way to go about doing this.

Again, thanks for all of your replies, I'm very glad I joined this community and whenever there is another Memphis get together, I'll try to swing by! Have a good one everyone!

Mike

You also mentioned you were on your way to dinner.

I'm hoping that your instructor covered the part of the law that says you can not carry where alcohol is server for on-site consumption. (assuming the restaurant you were headed to serves alcohol)

Guest catskratch
You also mentioned you were on your way to dinner.

I'm hoping that your instructor covered the part of the law that says you can not carry where alcohol is server for on-site consumption. (assuming the restaurant you were headed to serves alcohol)

Yeah, they did go over that (and a friend of mine already had mentioned that before I took the class) but I was just bringing my wife some fast food from wendys, haha.

Mike

i wish the troopers and rhea county officers were taught that it is a carry permit. showed mine to 3 different officers and the yo-yos said it was incorrect. been chewed royally 3 times in over 10 years because of open carry and cocked and locked. still carry that way but it is mostly concealed unless i am in my truck which has no ac. do have copies of the tenn. AG opinion in all my vehicles now.

Edited by jughead
spelling

I always inform the officer that 1st I have a handgun carry permit and 2nd that I am currently carrying a firearm. I also have all my windows down, my interior lights on, and my hands on the wheel before the get up to the car. Since I have done it this way both times I got pulled over (once for speeding, once for tags) I have recieved a warning and no ticket YMMV.