Home Burgler alarm went off today

Well, I had just left the house this afternoon to go get my wife at her office and as I was getting on the interstate I got a call from my alarm monitoring company telling me that my alarm had just been activated.

In December of '06 we had a breakin where the guys were able to get around my system ($800 upgrade with insurance money) and stole about 10k worth of our things including my S&W 686. When we got home that Sat. evening the BG's were still in the house. Fortunately they choose to leave rather than confront us. They could not have been out more than 10-15 seconds as we came in. That is when I decided to get my carry permit!

Well today I foolishly told the monitoring company caller to cancel the police and that I would turn back and check it out. I didn't understand that he said that the zone that activated was the glass breakage detector in the kitchen. I had figured that I had not securely closed all of the doors and the air conditioner forced a door open that was not completely closed. We have a contact on the door from the kitchen to the garage and that is what I thought was not closed good. Well as I got to the house I was second guessing cancelling the police but I had my new XD 40 on my side. As I entered the house, gun drawn, I checked the living area and could see that there was no one there. It turned out to be a simple false alarm caused by that glass breakage monitor.

I have wondered what my emotions would be in that type of situation. I was remarkably composed. No racing heart beat no hyperventalating. I am sure that had I opened the door and seen someone there I could/would have shot . That is really something that I hope I never have to face but I guess that I got a little preview of how I would react.

By the way, I got my 686 back about 4 months ago. The Nashville Sherriff's Dept recovered it while evicting a girl from the projects.

:D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

By the way, I got my 686 back about 4 months ago. The Nashville Sherriff's Dept recovered it while evicting a girl from the projects.

:D

congrats on getting the smith back...don't hear of that happening very often

Guest janwbrown616

If you didn't feel well and the emergency room Staff said you needed an open heart surgery now! would you cancel the doc and pull out your trusty Swiss Army Knife?

I would have shown up, waited outside and let the pro's handle it.

Also, IF I did not cancel the LEO, I sure would not go bandishing my weapon inside the house. Good way to get shot by friendly fire....

Guest goomba

glad you got the smith back.. very rare for that to happen.

never cancel the cops. best thing to do in my opinion would be to have the alarm company call the cops, and be sure to tell them that you are also en route.

then after you get off the phone with the alarm company, YOU call the local PD and advise them of what is going on... that way its double safety for you when you get there that the cops know you are going to be there when they show up or that you may be there when they get there.

I also would not enter the house. wait for PD. let them check the perimeter & let them enter the house if they feel the need. typically unless its obvious the building/ house has been broken into, they will go in with you to check the house, but not with guns drawn... thats only if it appears to be a legitamet B&E.

I'm curious how the thieves were able to circumvent your alarm during the '06 break-in you mentioned?

The alarm company that installed the system told me that thieves will usually break out a glass in a door or window to gain entry so he said that in the great room all that would be necessary would be a glass breakage detector. The guys that broke in used a screwdriver or something like one, and simply pried the window open. This was a new home when we bought it in '99. The windows are the double pane style and are not very solidly built. When they applied a little pressure the 4 screws holding the two window locks just pulled out and the window was open. Without contacts on the window the alarm was not set off. If I would have used a little common sense, I would have realized that and had contacts put on all of the windows to begin with instead of after the breakin. That's what I get for taking the word of a "Professional Alarm Salesman". There was no motion sensor because we had a small house dog that would have set it off.

How the hell does someone get evicted from the projects. Rent is like $20 a month :rofl:

I am not sure why she was being evicted but if anyone living there is caught with drugs they can get booted out. She was listed as a defendant on the paper I got back with the gun. She probably had another charge against her after finding the gun in her apt.

If you didn't feel well and the emergency room Staff said you needed an open heart surgery now! would you cancel the doc and pull out your trusty Swiss Army Knife?

I would have shown up, waited outside and let the pro's handle it.

Also, IF I did not cancel the LEO, I sure would not go bandishing my weapon inside the house. Good way to get shot by friendly fire....

That's why I stated that I foolishly cancelled the police. I had not been gone 3 minutes and figured that I had screwed up and not completely secured all of the doors. Had I let them send the Police I surely would have not gone in until they arrived. I checked the perimiter and saw no sign of forced entry before I went in. Had Police been able to get there before me I would have seen their car and not just run in with gun drawn. This episode proves that I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but give me a little credit.

My main point of the story was that I was able to keep my emotions in check in this situation.

Most important do not go in house untill you make damm sure it is empty. I did same

thing and MNPD had gone in back and was in when I walked in. Glock in face and

German Shephard wanting you for snack is no way to start out your day.

Just admit it...your a stone cold killer looking to shoot some poor innocent kids that got tangled up with the wrong crowd and just dont know any better. :) Its a good thing you second guessed yourself...its says that you still have common sense and arent the vigilante type (not that I would have anything against you if you were :rofl:)

Glad you got it back - doesn't usually turn out that way!

I would have waited for LEO response too. Course I wasn't there with adrenalin pumping and it's easy to armchair quarterback.

If I had seen any sign of forced entry I would have imediately called LEO's, given them my description and waited outside and only confronted if he/they came out before LEO's arrived.

Guest rj8806
....... I was remarkably composed. No racing heart beat no hyperventalating. I am sure that had I opened the door and seen someone there I could/would have shot . That is really something that I hope I never have to face but I guess that I got a little preview of how I would react.

:koolaid:

My guess is you were calm and collected because you assumed it was your mistake that set off the alarm. As everyone else has already told you, it was pretty foolish to call off the police. I wouldn't suggest that next time.

My guess is had you encountered someone inside, your calm, cool, collected self would have been turned instantly into heart pounding anxiety which might not have resulted favorably.

Glad you're o.k.

Richard

My guess is you were calm and collected because you assumed it was your mistake that set off the alarm.

That’s what I thought also.

It’s good that you got to experience a little excitement, but if there were an armed intruder in your home he would have heard you coming and you would have been shot…. No matter how many guns you had in your hands. :D

Glad to see you are still posting. thumbsup.gif