DoubleStar AR

Guest Kimber.45acp

Guest Kimber.45acp
So is there no way to tell.other than shooting it / changing the upper.what if its a 556 upper already and the purchase of a new one would be worthless..except having another upper
Guest Kimber.45acp
K I found the stamp 5.56 NATO 1/9 twist so I'm good to shoot both 4556 and 223 correct.. Any other info about AR any at all little bits large bits would be appreciated I'm a complete newb here..

K I found the stamp 5.56 NATO 1/9 twist so I'm good to shoot both 4556 and 223 correct.. Any other info about AR any at all little bits large bits would be appreciated I'm a complete newb here..

If the barrel is stamped 5.56 1/9 then yes you are fine shooting both 5.56 & .223 out of it.

I'm not clear on exactly what you are asking about little/large bits though? So I'm guessing if you provide a bit more detail on exactly what it is you have a question about you'd probably get better feedback from your fellow TGO'ers.

I believe the little bits, large bits means he is trying to learn and is receptive to any and all information.  It doesn't matter if it is a small amount of info (little bits) or volumns of info (large bits).  What a great opportunity for you guys with knowledge to help someone learn.

"Multi-caliber" marking has no actual practical meaning on an AR-15 lower.

"Multi" (as some say, without mention of "caliber") seems to have become sort of a convention back when AR pistols first came in vogue, mainly signifying that it wasn't a "rifle", and might have been a nod to certain state laws where registration is necessary along with type of firearm.  There are even lowers made in the past that say "pistol" on them, but I believe most of them were assembled as pistols from the manufacturer. My PSA lowers just say "multi" for instance, no "cal" or "caliber".

Also, for years, the 4473 classification was "long gun", "handgun", and "both", so some lower makers followed that convention if they weren't making them for a manufacturer to assemble and market a rifle or a pistol. (now 4473 is "long gun", handgun", and "other firearm", changed in 08)

"Multi-caliber" seems to perhaps be just more of a marketing convention to make it clear that they have versatility beyond just 5.56/.223, I dunno. Might also be a nod to SBR process, where you have to initially specify caliber, even though you can change it if you like without further paperwork, and regardless of what lower says.

But the upshot is that the marking has no legal significance, and never did, at least federally.  And no structural significance either, since obviously, you can make an AR-15 from a mil-spec lower that will run some 15 different calibers regardless of what is inscribed on it, and you can make any virgin lower into a pistol or a rifle (and if first built as a pistol, it can go back and forth between pistol and rifle).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
Guest Kimber.45acp
Thx very much for there very informative explanation.thats something I would have never known.thx OS
I enjoy learning new info,techniques,and taking someone who's experienced in the particular feild...thx
Guest Kimber.45acp
Patotn you nailed it all info anyone willing to share.from muzzle break to stock(top to bottom) customization double star isnt the best rifle out there what imprivements can i do ro make it better i can google all day long.. But the best information comes from fellow owners not a computer IMo
Guest 6.8 AR

Your lower doesn't matter, like Mac says. I haven't seen one for 300 blk, yet. Look at the barrel for markings,

and what everyone else said.

OS hit the nail on the head. Multi-caliber means it can be used for just that, multiple calibers. See, where these things are registered, if you register it as a multi and it's stamped as such, you can swap uppers no prob such as 6.8 or 9mm BUT if it's registered as a .223/5.56, you have to remain with that caliber. That's why AR "builds" are popular in Kommie states as with a Multi stamp they can get around that little stipulation. The barrel will have the stamping everytime, SOMEWHERE, lol. Be it under the handguard but usually it's right there in front of the gas block so as to NOT be a pain the posterior.

:pleased:

Edited by whitewolf001