Help save the life of woodpecker(s)

Sam1

So we have been hearing this weird tapping noise recently and didn't think too much of it until today they started going full speed and I realized it was a woodpecker.  Little bastard(s) are pinging up the siding by a window and I have no clue on what to do humanely to ward them off without getting rid of all the birds in the area.

Does anyone know how to shoo these things off without the use of a pellet gun or poison?  They're beautiful red-heads so I'd rather not put them down, but I am also not going to let them damage our house. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by Sam1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam:  I dont think they will damage the house; but they will make a helluva noise in the mornin.  My father-in-law had them at his house up on Kentucky lake; in the woods of course.  They would get up early in the mornin to go to work, and it would sound like a machine gun.  I've seen 'em thump the steel can of a pole type power transformer.   They are persistent  and they do make a helluva noise.  I dont know of anything that will scare them, but i couldn't bring myself to shoot one.  Ya might call the ag extension agent in your area.  He might have some words of advice.

Good luck, you'll need it to run these guys off.

leroy

We have one (I think it's only one) that pecks our house every morning, and sometimes in the late afternoon. Either way, he only pecks a few times, then he's gone. I've caught him in the act one time, and the dummy was pecking the metal gutter. I haven't been able to find any damage, so I don't sweat it.

Sam:  I dont think they will damage the house; but they will make a helluva noise in the mornin.  My father-in-law had them at his house up on Kentucky lake; in the woods of course.  They would get up early in the mornin to go to work, and it would sound like a machine gun.  I've seen 'em thump the steel can of a pole type power transformer.   They are persistent  and they do make a helluva noise.  I dont know of anything that will scare them, but i couldn't bring myself to shoot one.  Ya might call the ag extension agent in your area.  He might have some words of advice.

Good luck, you'll need it to run these guys off.

leroy

Woodpeckers WILL damage your house. I looked at a property last year that had wood siding. I required it to be repaired and I was told the cost was about $3,500.

Yeah they have definitely already cracked up the siding, I can get to the section by going out on to the roof through a window.  Right now it won't be an issue to put some clear silicone on it, but we're not sure if they are somewhere else that I can't get to yet.

Think I'm just gonna make a trip to wally world tomorrow and get a .177 assault rifle.

Many houses on my mail route have been damaged by woodpeckers. Most of the folks have resorted to hanging fake owls or unloved Cd's in the affected areas. Don't know if it works but it is a cheap fix if it does. I suggest old BeeGees discs!

provide an alternative food source... they like other stuff than just bugs (the point of the pecking) and a good feeder (needs a tail bar, they *have* to support their tail to be able to eat from a feeder) will keep them off the wood IF the wood is not bug ridden.  If the wood has bugs, they are gonna peck it.  And you have a problem if that is the case, both ways..!

provide an alternative food source... they like other stuff than just bugs (the point of the pecking) and a good feeder (needs a tail bar, they *have* to support their tail to be able to eat from a feeder) will keep them off the wood IF the wood is not bug ridden.  If the wood has bugs, they are gonna peck it.  And you have a problem if that is the case, both ways..!

My bird-watching neighbor has several bird feeders placed within about less that 50' from my house. That has not kept the pecker away.

Woodpeckers WILL damage your house. I looked at a property last year that had wood siding. I required it to be repaired and I was told the cost was about $3,500.

THIS, I've battled them little pest since 1984 and I have patched numerous holes in my cedar siding. The super sticky mouse traps that you can get from a  are somewhat effective, but most of the time I let my double barrel .410 do my dirty work.

They peck to tell other peckers this is their turf.

I had one rattlin my gutter up bad. I opened the window and cussed it a few different times, suprising enough it went away. Bonus, neighbors think im nuts yelling/cussing out the window @0500AM

My bird-watching neighbor has several bird feeders placed within about less that 50' from my house. That has not kept the pecker away.

It may or may not work.   Again, they can't use most feeders, it has to be designed for their unique needs and full of whatever it is they like best (suet I think?).   Or you could just end up attracting more of them to eat your house.   I can't say, they don't eat my house usually (had one rogue that would not stop) yet frequent the feeder. 

needs to be like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coveside-22400-Woodpecker-Feeder/24905014

note the slab of wood below it, they push against that with the tail.

Edited by Jonnin
I've disposed of several with a .410. When you live in a log home you will find out that they can be incredibly destructive. So far I havent found a non lethal means of keeping them away that works

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

Oh I'm not going to kill any of them, this thread is about a fiction novel I was considering to write, with a plot about what someone's options were to address troublesome birds ruining the siding on their house :)

Good info, thanks. They carry lots of other critters on them, can do $100,000 worth of damage to stucko and open your house up to invite other things to move in too.

Or you can pay someone $1000 to come and remove them.