Toy gun buy-back

Guest Keal G Seo

Indoctrination is what comes to my mind as well. But it's no secret that the statists are going after the minds of our kids, despite their protests to the contrary.

If they can poison the minds of a generation against gun ownership, we will become like Europe, Canada, and Australia as far as gun ownership is concerned.

Edited by daddyo
And the premise of all this, as per the article, is that toy guns desensitize kids from the gravity of using real guns against people. Never mind that boys have been playing with toys guns for centuries, and only recently has it become a problem in the media.

Meanwhile, parents are giving their VERY young children access to extremely graphic and violent video games. I'd like a liberal to explain to be how kids shooting each other with water pistols is more violent and destructive to a child's development than all the violent content they are exposed to on basic television and video games. As a parent, I am much more concerned about having my child exposed to such things.
Guest Keal G Seo

But it's for the children.

There is no logical need for an Aqua Rifle that sprays a whole gallon without reloading.

I even had the SS300 which held a lil more 2 gallons! Guess all those were pointless soakings.

One of main issues I had with the article was what the guy said about it desensitizing kids to shooting each other with real guns. I know I played with toy guns of all types, video games too but that is another matter, and I haven't decided to shoot anyone for fun. I think stupid people should not be allowed to speak. (or vote)

Guest Keal G Seo

And the premise of all this, as per the article, is that toy guns desensitize kids from the gravity of using real guns against people. Never mind that boys have been playing with toys guns for centuries, and only recently has it become a problem in the media.

Meanwhile, parents are giving their VERY young children access to extremely graphic and violent video games. I'd like a liberal to explain to be how kids shooting each other with water pistols is more violent and destructive to a child's development than all the violent content they are exposed to on basic television and video games. As a parent, I am much more concerned about having my child exposed to such things.

Ok, have to address the video game issue: I grew up with these games. From Doom and Duke Nukem to Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. I have never seriously considered shooting anyone beyond the hypothetical self defense stuff. Don't get me wrong I have wanted to lol but it isn't like all these made me actually consider doing it. I also don't think they have desensitized me one bit to the emotional side of it if it ever does happen. If people do it and blame it on entertainment media there is something much more deeply wrong with them.

Ok, have to address the video game issue: I grew up with these games. From Doom and Duke Nukem to Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. I have never seriously considered shooting anyone beyond the hypothetical self defense stuff. Don't get me wrong I have wanted to lol but it isn't like all these made me actually consider doing it. I also don't think they have desensitized me one bit to the emotional side of it if it ever does happen. If people do it and blame it on entertainment media there is something much more deeply wrong with them.

same here i grew up on those games aswell and i have better manners, am less violent etc than my sister and shes on welfare

great, better get your supersoakers now before they go up to ~$500

Wonder if water is going up as well??

They will probably just limit tank size. My guess is they will try to ban the high cap tanks, and put a 12 oz limit on them
If I really wanted to soak innocent people I would open up on them with a water hose or a water ballon.
Just like; If an international or domestic terrorist really wanted to injure a lot of innocent people he would drive a Suburban down a busy sidewalk or set off an IED.
  • Like 1

same here i grew up on those games aswell and i have better manners, am less violent etc than my sister and shes on welfare

I played many as well. I think the problem is when you mix in high power prescription drugs and compleatly isolating yourself for hours, even days at a time, reality becomes blurred. Some of these kids are not just playing a few hours a week, they literally almost never stop. As for the water guns that's just dumb!

I played many as well. I think the problem is when you mix in high power prescription drugs and compleatly isolating yourself for hours, even days at a time, reality becomes blurred. Some of these kids are not just playing a few hours a week, they literally almost never stop. As for the water guns that's just dumb!

This plays to the point I'd make. While you may have played video games, I highly doubt it's how kids are today. Today, parenting is growing to be a thing of the past, now children are sat in front of the tv/video game system and being raised by it. You may have played video games, but I'd bet you also had someone who tried to tell you right from wrong, and I'd bet you didn't play them for hours and days on end. Then when the child grows older and is used to being isolated by their self, they don't know how to socially interact and thus increases the chance the parents think they need some sort of medication that is possibly mood altering. Just my thoughts. As for California, well if stupid thoughts were weight, they would have sank into the ocean long ago Edited by KKing

There is a big difference between a young child and a teen in terms of how they interpret that violence. Obviously it isn't just video games, but other media, violent household, etc. There are young kids who are exposed to that and they are usually the little aholes roughing up the other kids on the playground.

My son is about 4 and still doesn't have any toy guns other than a nailer in his tool chest. We have taught him about firearms and that they aren't toys and they are not to be pointed at people. Introducing a toy gun into the mix would contradict that, and he is too young to differentiate and understand. When he is older he'll have nerf guns, squirt guns, paintball guns since he will be old enough to understand the context. For now, if he were to be issued a toy gun I would have to worry that he may handle a firearm thinking its a toy. Someday he'll be old enough to know the difference. For violent media, I think it has a huge impact on young kids, but probably not after the age of 10-12. Older kids see that in a different context. Young kids aren't old enough to understand, and it can warp their sense of empathy and predispose them to violence. I could be wrong, but I've seen enough ahole kids to think that I'm not.
  • Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

VGs: Well I got started on games at about 3-4 on the Atari 2600 and by 5 had a NES. Even had Duck Hunt which had the Zapper gun. I played every VGs every chance I had and yes for hours on end. I didn't make it to days on end until I was a preteen and whippings didn't bother me anymore. Now that I am grown and disabled I will easily play for days on end giving up hygiene and nutrition when a new COD comes out lol. Granted games today can be quite different graphics wise but the argument has been around since back then. Most of my friends (around the same age) also had all the same systems and games I did and I don't see anything major wrong with them these days. Sure we have less social skills than ideal but not to the point of being anti-social, just the ones you would say are "quiet util they get to know you".

As for gory movies and such, who here wasn't staying up late and watching a scary movie with dad an experience? I can still remember my first was my 5th or 6th Halloween and the movie was "It". My dad was a big Stephen King fan. He also watched action movies and given they weren't "scary" I don't ever remember them being restricted in our home.

Now real guns: My first was a Red Rider BB gun that I still have to this day and I got it for my 4th birthday. Introduced to .22 with a single shot when I was about 6. Started hunting with a 20g when I was 8 and a 12g at 10. After I got my "Hunter's Education" card at 11 I got my first hunting rifle. I can also remember being at the river (MS river) for target practice and shooting his 30 round SKS as a treat when he got ammo but not positive on the age that started. My point I guess is that it should at least be looked at on a child by child basis for those that are capable of separating play from real life. My parents knew that I could handle it. I also knew that I would lose firearm privileges if I failed to follow all the safety rules and I loved to shoot so I never did. Add on to that my parents were old school enough to whip my ass if I really messed up and I didn't really want that either.

I also remember that all of my dads guns were accessible to me 24/7 in a gun cabinet with no lock and glass face and the sawed off pump he kept beside his bed. I don't ever remember opening that case without permission either. So maybe if we just re-introduce butt spanking as a legal form of punishment instead of functionality reducing drugs then we can stop a lot of this craziness. :) I am down for that option.

blaming video games, movies and TV for the problems with America's youth is some weak ass stuff.

who are these kids who never see light of day due to playing the PS3?

The post was not meant to be an indictment of video games nor for the purpose of laying blame for all of our society's problems; it was more to show the contrast between what is more damaging for developing minds: shooting water at one another or seeing a graphic representation of a human being having his life snuffed out.

No matter how you slice it, for very young children they are having these images presented to them without the proper context. Especially true when young kids can't comprehend the finality of death and the worth of life, to then be subject to images of people being killed willy nilly like it doesn't matter. No, it won't turn every kid into a serial killer, but to say that it doesn't confuse young kids or distort their ability to empathize with another person's worth of life is disingenuous. I choose not to allow exposing my kids to such things until they are old enough to separate reality from fiction. Like it or not, young kids can't do that so well. Case in point, there is the story of the 4 year old that just shot his father dead. The child has no idea what happened or that his actions caused the very permanent death of his father. If you sit that little kid down to play MW3 all day, he also wouldn't understand the difference between that and the killing of folks in reality. At such a developmental stage in ones life I would think it pretty important to prevent them from being exposed.

But maybe I'm just all effed up. Seems nowadays folks don't see the issue exposing their kids to sexually graphic television, violent movies, violent and explicit music lyrics, violent video games and programming with vulgar language. I may be the minority on this, and I'm totally cool with that. I don't blame any one piece of modern media on why our society sucks so bad; I realize it sucks so bad because of sh**ty parents and their lack of ability to control the content they expose their children to.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

Possibly but when I injured my back I was looking at nothing but pain killers, muscle relaxers, FPS games and action movies. I was out of work for two weeks. The only real life violence I experienced was the pain ripping through my body. Oh I was also taking anti-anxiety meds at that time.

I grew up in a liberal anti-gun family in Connecticut but was still allowed toy guns and eventually paintball guns also. I grew up on The Terminator, Robocop, Aliens and of course Chuck Norris movies, movies I watched from a very young age. Likley since birth. But still, I was taught manners and respect, right and wrong as well as real vs fake. I have only ever faced problems with the police once in my life and thats because in Nazi Connecticut apparently its illegal to defend your wife whos being hit.

Frankly I am sick of the whole toy gun, video games and movie scapegoat. Lets start blaming bad parents. Edited by RedLights&Sirens

Frankly I am sick of the whole toy gun, video games and movie scapegoat. Lets start blaming bad parents.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there slick, we don't believe in personal accountability anymore. These parents are doing exactly what is expected from them, placing their children in front of the television and letting the schools raise them.

Hmm I would gladly hit this up,  I think you can still get the junky squirt guns for a few bucks a pop.  Assuming they are willing to pay $20 a pop or something worthwhile to get the evil off the street?   Just like a real gun buyback, probably can make a ton off the right junk.....