Flying With Guns? Some People Do It Wrong...

TSA Week in Review: Record 65 Firearms Discovered In Carry-on Bags (54 Loaded)

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/05/tsa-week-in-review-record-65-firearms.html

Record 65 Firearms Discovered This Week – This beats our previous record of 50 guns. Of the 65 firearms, 54 were loaded and 19 had rounds chambered. See a complete list and more photos at the bottom of this post.

Firearm Strapped to Prosthetic Leg of Passenger – A passenger at Salt Lake City (SLC) received a pat-down after an anomaly was detected during advanced imaging technology screening. During the pat-down, officers discovered a fully loaded .22 caliber firearm inside his boot and strapped to the prosthetic leg. The passenger was arrested by Salt Lake City Airport Police on a state charge of “Carrying a Concealed Weapon in a Secure Area.”

It's amazing what some people will try to do. I just don't understand why.

I can’t believe it was 65 ignorant people that didn’t know the gun was there. Either they were willing to risk the very high probability of arrest and convictions on weapons charges; or they had other intentions.

• Like 1
Ben(Been dyac)Stoeger's guns were denied last year flying to a class he was putting on. He is the two year running USPSA production national champ. I'm quite sure he was doing right. I wonder if the numbers reflect situations like that.
Edited by Mechanic_X

Been Stoeger's guns were denied last year flying to a class he was putting on. He is the two year running USPSA production national champ. I'm quite sure he was doing right. I wonder if the numbers reflect situations like that.

Probably

Like when a robber is shot by a home owner in a justified situation, the crime goes into statistics with a gun.  So the total gun statistics are slanted.

Been Stoeger's guns were denied last year flying to a class he was putting on. He is the two year running USPSA production national champ. I'm quite sure he was doing right. I wonder if the numbers reflect situations like that.

I had a failure to understand what I read when I saw "Been Stoeger" LOL!   It amazes me how many people routinely fly with guns and TSA still screws up as much as (if not more) the people who don't know the rules for flying with a gun.

• Like 1

I flew with a handgun three years ago.  No problem going out of Knox,  leaving Phoenix was a whole different deal.  I did exactly the same thing both ways.  Had a Phoenix cop detain me while it was all sorted out.  Idiot TSA guy about had a stroke when he encountered the declared handgun.  The cop was very nice and told me I had done nothing wrong.  I was pretty much giving the TSA jerk a piece of my mind the entire time. Mr.TSA did not like me so much.

• Like 3

I flew with a handgun three years ago.  No problem going out of Knox,  leaving Phoenix was a whole different deal.  I did exactly the same thing both ways.  Had a Phoenix cop detain me while it was all sorted out.  Idiot TSA guy about had a stroke when he encountered the declared handgun.  The cop was very nice and told me I had done nothing wrong.  I was pretty much giving the TSA jerk a piece of my mind the entire time. Mr.TSA did not like me so much.

That is so strange. I had a completely different experience flying out of Phoenix  three years ago. I declared my gun at the ticket counter, the lady kind of ho-hum looked at it in my suitcase and gave me the "firearm" flag to go inside the suitcase and sent me on my way. I asked her if a lot of people fly with guns and she said "Lord Yeah" we get 'em all the time, especially during hunting season. She was A-OK with it all the way.

Good for you! They need a good "dressing down" till they learn and understand THEIR rules and regs.

Guest 6.8 AR

Tells you how valuable a commodity a TSA agent is, doesn't it? I wonder if any graduated from Kindergarten?

I have flown with guns many times.  The only time I have ever had my bad check was when there was a jar of strawberry jelly in it.  I told the TSA dude that he should put some of it on a biscuit, but he was not amused and proceeded with the explosive testing. 

The last time a flew with a gun was a few weeks ago.  Once again, my bag was not checked; however, my wife was detained for questioning after washing her hands in the bathroom.  I was not present for the events, but according to her, she went directly from the bathroom to security, went through the body scanner, and was pulled aside to a special area for frisking by a couple of girls who liked to wear flannel shirts and work boots.  After they found nothing with want my wife called a rather invasive frisk, they swabbed her hands for explosives, which resulted as positive for explosive residue.  By this time, our flight was boarding, and she pleaded with them to let her go or she was going to miss it.  They complied with her requests, and all was well.  I could not help but to be pissed with the whole system.  What a damn waste of money and resources.