Supreme Court OKs DNA swab

I am going to sit back and watch the fireworks fly on this one.

I have an idea which side people will lean toward and suspect some intellectual replies for and against.

I suspect almost all arrest will be DNA tested in the near future and the results put in a database to check against outstanding crimes.

I can see it after a conviction, however just for an arrest seems a bit to far.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

20 years ago the military took every sailor, soldier, airman and marines DNA. We all lined up and went through with nurses taking swabs, putting them in baggies and "move on to the next guy". Dont know if they still do it, but would suspect since then they would be doing it during the initial MEPPS physical.

My DNA is already in a database. Plus, I have done it 6 times for Genealogy purposes. If they want it, wont be hard to find.

That being said, considering that DNA can be used to ID a predisposition to an illnesses, (Something warned about during the Affordable Care Act Hearings), with a Gov. database, people WERE concerned that a Database would eventually lead to deciding who does or does not get Medical Treatment based on a predisposition for an illness.

If you do not commit a crime, nothing to worry about. Start worrying when the Insurance Companies start asking for access to the Database.

20 years ago the military took every sailor, soldier, airman and marines DNA. We all lined up and went through with nurses taking swabs, putting them in baggies and "move on to the next guy". Dont know if they still do it, but would suspect since then they would be doing it during the initial MEPPS physical.

My DNA is already in a database. Plus, I have done it 6 times for Genealogy purposes. If they want it, wont be hard to find.

That being said, considering that DNA can be used to ID a predisposition to an illnesses, (Something warned about during the Affordable Care Act Hearings), with a Gov. database, people WERE concerned that a Database would eventually lead to deciding who does or does not get Medical Treatment based on a predisposition for an illness.

If you do not commit a crime, nothing to worry about. Start worrying when the Insurance Companies start asking for access to the Database.

I will bet my last DOLLAR it already being done.

Guest Keal G Seo

I am kinda torn on this. I do feel like it is mine etc etc but I also feel this is similar to fingerprints. I mean whenever you are arrested they take fingerprints to add to their database and cross check on national ones to solve other crimes. Guess this is one of the very few times I am leaning towards the invasion. I would like to see it all on a conviction basis but we know that isn't going to happen...either they will be allowed to or they wont and now it looks like the former.

I think this is a horrible decision. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. Yet another right down the drain.

have you ever been arrested?  Innocent until proven guilty is a fallacy.  Always has been.

Guest TankerHC

A quick story. When I grew up in Baltimore, we had a store on every corner and a bar on every other corner. on top of the store on one corner of our block the store owner, MRS Keusch, lived in an apartment, alone. Her deceased husband was a Bataan survivor. This was in the 70's, I left Baltimore in 1980..

She was raped and murdered in 1991 in her apartment. No one had any idea who would do something like that to an 86 year old woman, especially one well liked in the neighborhood. She and her husband had opened the store and had been there since right after WWII.

In 2010 one of my best friends during childhood, Eddie Arcaro was arrested for theft (Eddie and Ernie were brothers and lived with their mother down the block). They took his DNA. Mrs Keutsch knew Eddie since he was a baby, and his brother and his mother was Mrs Keutsch's hairdresser. His DNA linked him, he raped and murdered that old lady then attended her funeral with his brother and mother.

Took the police 20 years to solve that crime. If they would have had his DNA, it may have had to wait a few years for technology to catch up (Which it eventually did anyway), but may have been solved a LOT sooner, and got a murderer off the street.

He plead guilty and was sentenced to life in prison.

You don't have to commit a crime to be arrested.  That's one of the problems.  I wonder if we'll see an increase in arrests in some of the more statist locales simply to add more individuals to that database.  

And we won't have to worry about insurance companies asking for it. In a few years, they'll be out of business, the IRS will be in charge of our health care and they won't have to request the info, it will be right there in the database for the checking.

Edited by Clod Stomper