How hard was it to switch shooting hands?

Guest NotDylan

Guest NotDylan

For those of you who have done it, how hard was it to switch your main shooting hand and how long did it take? Do you now shoot better with your "new" main hand, do you feel you have an advantage because both hands are capable now?

I've been a lefty for 24 years but only a gun owner for a month or two, so I don't feel that it's entirely set in stone. I'd like to switch for a variety of reasons, the main one being that a larger market of handguns/rifles will be open to me and much easier to operate. And being right eye dominant only makes it worse.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been right handed all my life, but when I wanted to start shooting I had already lost the sight in my right eye. When I bought my first gun the guy in the gun shop suggested I try shooting lefty as everything was going to the left when shooting righty. So I tried lefty and it brought every shot into the center. So now I shoot and carry all lefty. I also shoot in IDPA, USPSA and 3 Gun. I have also taken several training classes. I didn't start shooting until I was sixty and now I'm sixty seven and going strong. What is your domiant eye, that makes a difference.

It's not to hard for me and I shoot about the same either hand. I too am right hand left eye dominant, so it does come in handy sometimes. My brother in law is right handed, but when he went to the police academy he struggled shooting. They suggested he switch and ended up being the best shot in his class.He is now a SWAT sniper. He didn't do a lot of shooting before then.

Guest jackdog

went from lefty to righty3 yrs ago. always shoot both eyes open. rifle ,shotgun are close to even. pistol is even with either hand. actually can clear holster faster as a righty.

I practice with both hands. I started doing so earlier in the year. I started with shooting SA with my S&W 686, then moved to DA. Then I moved on to my Sig 226 and other semi-autos, but still going back to the revolvers. At one point for about a month, I shot strictly with my left hand and when I tried with my right, I found I was shooting better lefty.

In real world situations, you may need to shoot with your weak hand, so I find it important to practice, strong, weak, and both hands.

To answer your question, it's not hard to switch with practice. Don't expect to be amazing after one box of ammo. Since you've only been a handgun owner for a short time, you hopefully haven't developed any bad habits and should easily be able to switch back and forth.