HCP;States reciprocity agreements

The NRA/ILA website lists states, which recognize each others HCP. Does anyone have information or experience, having to show your HCP to law enforcement in states other than TN; say in instances of a traffic stop?

I assume that the procedure would be the same ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

TN does not require you to inform police during a traffic stop that you are armed or to show them your handgun carry permit, UNLESS asked for the permit. TX, on the other hand requires you to immediately inform. MS does not require one to inform, and your car is considered to be like your house when it comes to guns.....you don't need a permit/license to keep a loaded gun in your car in Mississippi. Check the state laws before you travel somewhere to make sure you are in compliance. They vary widely, just like places you can and can't carry your handgun and whether or not you are required to conceal by law.

Guest jackdog

Mich law does require you to inform LEO's that you are in fact armed. I was stopped by mich state police a few months ago on traffic stop. Told officer I was armed. His response was thank you welcome to mich. By the way I clocked you at 13 miles over.

Well have a nice day and enjoy Mich. No ticket, nice state officer.

Both of these times were in TN, so can't help you much about out-of-state police.

I have been stopped twice since I got my permit, both times the officers were cool with it. I handed my HCP to them, along with my license. One officer didn't say a word to me about it. The other officer asked if I was carrying. When I said "yes," he just asked that I keep my hands visible.

I will always give the officer my HCP out of courtesy, regardless of what the state law says.

I usually keep my firearm in the glove compartment. I do not remember that the TN HCP specifies were the firearm can be located in the car.

My concern has been that,say I get stopped in Arkansas and Arkansas law specifies were the firearm can and cannot be located.

I guess the best course of action is to declare the firearm and HCP. Also, do not travel to the Peoples Republics of CA,Mass,Ill etc.

The best place I've found for the information you want is:

http://handgunlaw.us/

Click on the left side where it says:

US OFF-LIMITS A-M

US OFF-LIMITS N-Z

When the pdf files come up, scroll down to the state you are interested in. On the line where the state is listed you will see:

MUST NOTIFY OFFICER Y/N

This site has a world of info on firearms laws for all the states and other areas as well. And it seems to be accurate info and updated frequently. Of course, to be absolutely sure, you need to contact the individual states to verify the accuracy of any online information regardless of the source.

Here is the links to the state laws referred to above.

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf

I usually keep my firearm in the glove compartment. I do not remember that the TN HCP specifies were the firearm can be located in the car.

My concern has been that,say I get stopped in Arkansas and Arkansas law specifies were the firearm can and cannot be located.

I guess the best course of action is to declare the firearm and HCP. Also, do not travel to the Peoples Republics of CA,Mass,Ill etc.

+1 on Handgunlaw.us

Also if you have permit and are in a state that recognizes TN's permit, I'm pretty sure you can have your weapon anywhere ine the car, including on your person. It would only be if you didn't have a permit you would need to know if and how certain states regulate carry in a vehicle. But that is also covered at Handgunlaw.us

Thanks for the all information. By the way, I know a fellow that was caught speeding in Belle Meade and the officer said that he could have ticketed the driver, for not mentioning that he had a HCP. However, that is Belle Meade, a land were speeding tickets are written for 1 MPH over speed limit!

Thanks for the all information. By the way, I know a fellow that was caught speeding in Belle Meade and the officer said that he could have ticketed the driver, for not mentioning that he had a HCP. However, that is Belle Meade, a land were speeding tickets are written for 1 MPH over speed limit!

Or for driving in the left lane on Belle Meade Blvd if you get into the lane too soon before you turn. Of course that is in the LEO's opinion as to when is too soon.

Guest canynracer
+1 on Handgunlaw.us

Also if you have permit and are in a state that recognizes TN's permit, I'm pretty sure you can have your weapon anywhere ine the car, including on your person. It would only be if you didn't have a permit you would need to know if and how certain states regulate carry in a vehicle. But that is also covered at Handgunlaw.us

+2

http://www.handgunlaw.us/