Noob looking for first gun...

Guest Honest AK

Guest Honest AK

I've never shot or even held a gun in my hand before but want to get a pistol for self defense and some range fun. I have a couple of questions, though.

Since money is kind of tight for me right now, those German police trade in Sig P6's are looking pretty good to me. Do gun shops generally do transfers for people that have never bought guns at their place of business?

I'm concerned that they might resent someone that's never spent money there buying a gun somewhere else and expecting them to handle the transfer . How much should I expect to pay for the transfer?

If it's a problem then I'll probably save a while longer and get a new CZ 75.

Also, where do I go for training? I live in Columbia and would go anywhere in Mid TN but I'd rather not have to head over to Memphis or Knoxville. How much do classes like that normally cost?

Sorry to ask "what will that cost" so much but like I said, money is pretty tight but I'm eager to get started.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Sigs are great guns!And yes any shop should want to don the transfer for you regardless.

If they get snippy with you then leave!

What kind of training are you looking for?

My HCP class was 75 bucks.It did not get into detail,but did include some basics on firearm handling.

Guest bkelm18

First step is to hold one in your hand. You need to know what you like and dislike about a gun before making your first big purchase. Some people love Glocks, I dislike them because they feel like I'm gripping a 2x4. My personal favorite is the Springfield XD. Fits very nice in the hand. I know you said money is an issue, but a $200 gun (just an example) that doesn't feel right in your hand is a worse investment than a $400 gun that does. The "standard" for transfers is $25 plus $10 for the background check. Most shops have no problem doing the transfers regardless of if you have shopped there before or not, but just call to make sure. The CZ 75 is a great pistol. Very well designed and it fit my hand better than anything else that I've held, but the P6s are great buys as well.

If it is a first time handgun purchase, I would suggest a revolver. Semi-autos can be finnicky if not held correctly and jam up on you. I saw this problem the last time I was at the range and a young woman was having the gun jam after the first shot.

I am not sure about how different shops handle transfers. Training classes can run from $50 to $85 in my area but that is in ET. I'm sure someone from your area can give all the info you need.

If it is a first time handgun purchase, I would suggest a revolver. Semi-autos can be finnicky if not held correctly and jam up on you. I saw this problem the last time I was at the range and a young woman was having the gun jam after the first shot.

I am not sure about how different shops handle transfers. Training classes can run from $50 to $85 in my area but that is in ET. I'm sure someone from your area can give all the info you need.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. If you have never fired a handgun, get used to a revolver first due to its inherent simplicity.

Guest sling

Ditto. You may even start off on a .22 revolver just to learn how to shoot first. Once you get aquainted on the basics you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for it.

.22's dont really seem to lose their value as much as other guns.

Guest Verbal Kint
Ditto. You may even start off on a .22 revolver just to learn how to shoot first. Once you get aquainted on the basics you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for it.

.22's dont really seem to lose their value as much as other guns.

With him saying money is tight, I wouldn't suggest buying a .22 only to turn around very shortly and buy something that's adequate for carry. I know you weren't suggesting such, but a .22 is not going to cut it for self-defense... and something in .38 (like a S&W 442 or 642) really isn't all that much worse in the recoil department, yet will save him from having to turn around and lose money on uprading later.

You can find a new S&W 442 for under $400 all day long on gunbroker, and $403 shipped from Bud's Gun Shop... and even cheaper, if need be, buying used from somewhere/someone. Not only will he be able to easily learn on such a handgun, but he will be able to carry the same weapon for protection.

After handling several smaller guns, and picking up a 642 for the wife, I've really fallen in love with the S&W J-frame revolvers. They truly are the best concealed carry weapon, or BUG, for most people in my opinion. Small enough that they disappear anywhere, yet not tiny enough to where it doesn't fit your hand. Plenty of stopping power, yet not uncontrollalble to handle. Simplicity of a revolver vs semi-auto in the heat of the moment. Excellent company pedigree. I'll be buying another 642 for myself shortly, as a back-up to the G23.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest sling

No, a .22 is horrible for self defense. I know that. I wasnt saying that at all. :yum:

I was just mentioning the fact that the .22 is pretty much the perfect thing to learn on.

Guest Verbal Kint
No, a .22 is horrible for self defense. I know that. I wasnt saying that at all. :yum:

I was just mentioning the fact that the .22 is pretty much the perfect thing to learn on.

I agree... and wasn't accusing you of such. I knew where you were coming from. :D

I actually agree with Sling and Verbal. If the gun itself is going to break your budget, how are you going to shoot it much and practice when ammo is over $10 a box for nearly all centerfire rounds. With a .22 you can shoot all day on $7-8 of Federal bulk pack ammo. That's a lot of practice, and a lot of savings to be able to buy another, more powerful gun later.

In reality, your first gun you may end up turning around and selling soon anyway, if you end up not liking it too much. You'll only know if you like it after some experience with it, so it's all a crap shoot (pun intended) anyways.

I do agree, though, that .22 is total garbage for a defense round. (and don't anybody start talking about how their cousin's sister's boyfriend's co-worker's nephew once killed a charging bull elephant with a .22 short. It was luck and I don't want to hear about it)

But, you probably won't be carrying right away as you have never shot a gun, and I am guessing you haven't gotten into the legal and moral rammifications of carrying a gun. You've got lots of practice and training to do before going armed. It is a serious responsibility. Once you do take the HCP class, plan on up to a 10 week wait for your permit to arrive. Depending on you money situation over the next 3-6 months (my guess as to when you'll probably be ready to actually carry) do you think you'll be able to buy a .22 now, and then a more powerful gun later, when you know more of what you want in a firearm?

For training, I recommend Todd and Dustin here: http://www.criticalincidentstrategies.com/

Best of luck!

Guest Major Pain

Would be a good idea to go to a gun show and look around and handle a few guns and see what feels right to you. A revolver is hard to beat for first firearm for simplicity and dependability. As far as handgun classes there should be some in your area. Call your local gun store and ask who is giving classes around Colombia, a city that size probably has several.----MP

I've never shot or even held a gun in my hand before but want to get a pistol for self defense and some range fun.

I'm a Sig fan and the P6 is a fine weapon, but I would not recommend one to someone with no shooting experience. In fact, I wouldn't recommend any semiautomatic for a first time shooter. That would rule out the P6 and the CZ 75.

I suggest starting out with a revolver. Revolvers are simple, reliable, and are available with plenty of power. For range shooting and home defense, a 4" .357 magnum would be a great choice. Good power and fairly easy to shoot accurately. These are widely available on the used shelf at your local gun shop. A Ruger like a GP100, Security Six, or SP101 would be good choices. Smith & Wesson 686 or Model 65 would also be good, but perhaps a bit more expensive.

One advantage of the .357 magnum is that you can also shoot .38 special rounds in it, which cuts your range costs down some. However, you can also load up .357 magnums for defensive purposes. (You do need to practice some with .357 also if that is your defensive choice.)

If you think you want to get a carry permit and carry it, then a 3" barrel might be a better choice. Stay away from the <2" barrel (snubnose) models. Great carry guns, but they not much fun at the range and it takes a lot of practice shoot them well.

When you can afford it, I would buy a .22 pistol as well. As mentioned before, it is much less expensive to practice with a .22 and shooting it will improve your shooting skills.

I took my carry permit class here: http://www.therangeinc.com/

It cost $100 and the training was good.

Edited by Buzz

I would also add that going to a place like Guns & Leather in Greenbrier, TN and rent a gun, go down to their range and shoot it. Dennis or one of the other guys would probably give you some quick pointers in gun safety and steer you towards the gun that would best fit your needs.

Guest Honest AK

I'm sure it will be a good while before I'm skilled enough to carry a gun around in public. That is a responsibility I would not take lightly.

When I say self defense, I mean around the house, for the meantime. On two different occasions last month, I had strangers knock on my door asking for some guy I'd never heard of. Might just be me being paranoid but I felt they could have been looking for an easy target for a robbery. I'll just say these guys didn't look very friendly. One of them was standing there on my porch drinking some kind of liquor out of the bottle! lol

I will get a .22 for practice, eventually but will have to do with just one gun for the time being. Because of the unannounced "company" I've had lately I want something powerful enough for defense but still cost effective enough to practice with a lot. Seemed to me like a 9mm auto fit that need best.

The revolvers are appealing but I want more than 5-6 shots since whatever I get will be my only gun for a while.

I appreciate all the advice. If anybody else has some info to pass along, please do.:)

Guest pjblurton

Boy did you open a can of worms...

Before you get caught up in listening to opinions from everyone on which gun is better than this one or that one. Find a good local range with a good selection of rentals.

Shoot what you think you would like and what would suit your purpose. If it something that goes BANG every time you pull the trigger, has an effective defense caliber and it feels natural to you, then you have found the perfect self defense handgun for you.

And you did it all on your own!

I know you mentioned funds are tight. But buying a box of ammo, renting a lane and a gun 5 or 6 times still doesn't add up to buying a gun to learn on and you make an informed decision when YOU are ready.

With that being said, don't discount any of the advice from others on this board. Theres some old salts around here that really know thier stuff!

Good luck

A good idea I think, is to go to a local gun shop. One that has a range on site, and that rents guns. That way it's like test driving a car. Then you want get something you think you like, to learn you hate it after firing it.....Good luck..

I would suggest a .357 revolver for your first SD/HD handgun. One with a 4" barrel would be your best bet.

You can usually find a .357 revolver for fairly cheap prices nearly anywhere. They are very reliable and easy to shoot, and having the ability to load them with .38 Specials will really help your wallet when it comes time to practice at the range. Being a new gun owner, range time is key.

Being in the Columbia area ( think that's where you said you were from), maybe you can come to one of the TGO meet-n-shoots at Owl Hollow in Franklin. I'm sure some wheel gun guys would be more than happy to let you shoot a few rounds. Maybe this will allow you to get a feel for something you're more comfortable with.

Guest Lefty

A pump gun could be an option for in home defense. A riot gun will hold 7+1 rounds with way more power than a handgun, and is easier to shoot. But there are law enforcement trade-in pistols for around $300 in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Guest jackdog

go to a range that has rentals. Try out a few guns. Start with a 22 and then work your way up for 60 or 70 dollars you will get a lot of good info.

You guys might end up talking me into getting a revolver! lol

Is .38 Special cheaper than 9mm?

Don't let us talk you into anything. Everyone has something that works well for themselves. What works for me, may not work for you. That's why most would suggest getting your hands on as many options as you can.

I only suggest a revolver, because they are so easy and reliable. Once you get more comfortable, a semi-auto is a natural progression, in many cases. A semi-auto has more parts to worry about, and for a new shooter they can sometimes get a bit overwheled with all the moving parts and features.

I assume you're asking about ammo prices? I don't think there is a huge difference, but I believe 9mm is generally cheaper than .38.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Is .38 Special cheaper than 9mm?

No.

9mm is as far as I know, cheapest caliber period, cept for .22.

Example: WallyWorld Winchester "white box" (good for range)

100 9mm is $18+

100 .38 special is $29+

- OS

No.

9mm is as far as I know, cheapest caliber period, cept for .22.

Example: WallyWorld Winchester "white box" (good for range)

100 9mm is $18+

100 .38 special is $29+

- OS

wow i never knew it was that significant a difference. i need to look into a 9mm now.:)

and HonestAK, i just got into handguns about six months ago. it was tough to choose a gun, hearing so many different opinions and suggestions. i never heard i could rent guns, so i shot the few i could and ended up with a gun i thought i liked. after shooting some others, i've found there are many guns i like much more for about the same price, or a bit higher.

i've sold that first handgun and collected a few more, and i'm still not sure i have the right guns for me. i think i'll always be able to find one i like better.

bottom line you should rent, borrow, and shoot as many guns as you can until you find something you like, then buy it.

Trying a couple of guns at a range is great advice. You should definitely do that if at all possible. If you have any friends who shoot, this would be a great time to ask them to help you out. Guns & Leather would be at least an hour drive from Columbia, but it would be worth it.

Here is a pretty good article you might want to peruse:

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/home_defense.htm