Chemical Defense

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

Bought some sprays a few years ago that had CS, CN, OC and a marker dye. Was some off brand so I cant remember who made it, just the blue pack with a big "4-1" printed on it. Anyone know if anyone still produces the 4 in 1s? All I can find are 2-1s, mostly OC and dye.

Just found a 3 in 1, OC, CS and dye. The reason I am asking is that I have been hit with OC and seen friends try it...dumbarse teenage stuff. But I had gotten this for a GF and her daughter (who refused to carry a gun though they enjoyed shooting) anyway her son had sprayed a mist into the living room playing with it, I couldn't get mad since I had done the same thing when I was his age, and it pretty much crippled him, his sister and her BF. After we came into the room we were still choked pretty hard by it. He claimed it was less than 1 second burst and the can still felt near full. So with that in mind I would like to get a new set for the new family.

Edited by Keal G Seo

The three in one should be just as effective. CN Gas is weaker than CS gas it just has a longer effect.  Personally I don't think that for a defensive spray CS/CN even worth bothering with as its effects are greatly reduced with sources of fresh air.  I've been through several CS chambers and have been sprayed by OC multiple times.  For me id rather take the CS chamber any day of the week.  a few minutes of fresh air and your good to go the OC takes significantly longer to wear off also CS And CN both take more time to take effect than OC spray sometimes as much as 30 seconds, that being said both effect different people differently and you are able to fight through any of them. 

The next thing to consider is at what range is they are most likely to use it.  The streams have a longer effective range apprx 20 feet depending on manufacturer but require batter aiming.  The cone mist provides for more area of coverage but its effective range is reduced to around 10-15 feet. 

For someone who doesn't train on how to use it I would recommend a cone mist unit as they are much easier to get on to target.  As far as a good brand, My go to choice is Fox Labs.  They make some of the best OC products on the market. However their formula is geared to LE.  It has a fairly high SHU with a relatively low oil to dye ratio.  This results in an extremely effective spray that has a slightly shortened recovery time.  So that you don't have to spend an hour waiting for a person to calm down after being sprayed.  Recovery time from most of the fox labs stuff is around 20-30 minutes longer for some shorter for others

I know some of that is unsolicited advice, I just don't want to see people waste money on a defensive product that may not be very effective for their intended use.

• Like 1
Guest Keal G Seo

Ok new to this what is cs cn oc mean and what is the diff ?

Don't ask me to spell them but CS and CN are 2 very similar tear gasses. One lasts longer with weaker effects and one has shorter duration with added effect of nausea and possibly vomiting. OC is basically just the hot part of peppers, capsaicin, and works instantly on contact. While these do burn/choke enough willpower and you fight through it. But to someone not expecting, it can give you a couple of seconds to flee or take the offensive.

On the stream vs cone I think that is why they mixed them. The gas is liquid for a moment but evaporates under normal atmospheric pressure so they stream it and even if you just hit the person in the chest as the gas evaporates it creates a cloud around them.

Guest Keal G Seo

Thank you guys for the input. I think I am going to have to settle with just a 3-1. Seems that the CN gas in liquid form can cause permanent skin damage and I assume this liability is why I am having trouble finding it.

Check out the Kimber Pepper Blaster. Bought it for the wife. It conceals quite well in a pocket and has a good effective range and limited blowback (it's a gel).

Everyone in my house has the Pepper Blaster II. Thirty five dollars and effective for seven years. That's a go.