From the minds of babes...

Today my daughter went on a field trip.

They went to a big park near her school. While there they were broken into smaller groups to perform a scavenger hunt.

Seems one of the items they needed to find was a dead animal.

Now, I wonder, what kind of a list is this that has a dead animal as one of the things a group of First Graders must find. 

However, my wife was more disturbed by my daughter's solution to the conundrum. See, they could find lots of living animals, but none that fit the criteria of dead.

What is a girl to do?

Why, find an animal, and make it fit the criteria.

My wife is scared to sleep, she is convinced we are raising a sociopath.

I was disappointed it was an ant. An ant is an insect, not an animal.

I was however impressed with her cognitive reasoning.

• Like 2

Kids are amazing. My daughter will be 2 in July. Yesterday i witnessed her pick up my wifes iphone, press the unlock button, use the slide unlock on the screen, scroll through the pages until she found the gallery, launch it and then showed off pictures of us to everyone in the room and called us by name.

meanwhile my 6 year old thinks brushing his teeth is "boring".

sigh...

• Like 3

Kids are amazing. My daughter will be 2 in July. Yesterday i witnessed her pick up my wifes iphone, press the unlock button, use the slide unlock on the screen, scroll through the pages until she found the gallery, launch it and then showed off pictures of us to everyone in the room and called us by name.

sigh...

I'm not surprised. She seems to favor her mom a lot and he seems to favor you.

Maybe he needs an electric toothbrush that makes farting sounds while he brushes. You could get a matching pair.

I was late coming home one night and my wife asked my daughter (Who is 8) where Daddy was. She kept watching tv and said "I don't know, he's your problem, not mine!" Lol Kids are hilarious and don't even have to try. :)

• Like 2

While I would also wonder why a first grade scavenger hunt would include a dead animal.... that's hilarious!  :rofl:

sigh...

I'm not surprised. She seems to favor her mom a lot and he seems to favor you.

Maybe he needs an electric toothbrush that makes farting sounds while he brushes. You could get a matching pair.

We recently got our 5 yr old an electric toothbrush.  Sadly, it doesn't make farting noises.  :(  But he does have more interest in brushing his teeth with it.  :)

Most systems classify the kingdoms into plant, animal, and other (mostly a bunch of groups of microgranism groups).  An insect is an animal in those systems, though it is not of course a mammal.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_%28biology%29 shows some of the methods used but they boil down to plants, animals, and weird stuff.

This is a good case of "what in the heck is wrong with the idiot teacher today" syndrone, which is becoming a serious problem. 

Edited by Jonnin

sigh...

I have a 4 year old that was doing the same thing. She wants to take my wife's iPad everywhere with her. *sigh* Such is the world we live in. technology is wonderful, and can greatly improve our every day lives, but I try to make sure it's balanced with "outside" time.

Edited by Good_Steward

I have a 4 year old that was doing the same thing. She wants to take my wife's iPad everywhere with her. *sigh* Such is the world we live in. technology is wonderful, and can greatly improve our every day lives, but I try to make sure it's balanced with "outside" time.

I grew up an only child and glued to my Nintendo (explains a lot right?) but I make sure that my kids stay active. Scouts, soccer, baseball, day camps, etc. But since their old man is a techno junkie, they certainly know their way around the gizmo's. I had to force feed technology to my wife however. That and guns :)

I am also concerned more that first the grade scavenger hunt had them looking for dead animals.   I think at this point, you should probably call the school board and ask wtf is going on.

Growing up in the country, I was both used too and understood finding dead animals.  However that isn't the point.

Edited by vontar