Make sure you get the right permit and license

If he is a serious hunter, he should know what license is required of him no matter where he goes. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I could tell ya'll stories that would blow your mind!

"A man has got to know his limitations." Clint Eastwood.

Dave S

• Like 1

My concern is more that they spent the time and money involved for a length federal investigation for something where the subject of the investigation obviously had no criminal intent.  Did he make a mistake yes, was it something that a professional hunter should have known, again id say yes.   But was it something so serious that warrants a Felony charge,  Hardly.

• Like 2
Guest 270win

All while people kill one another in Memphis.  The feds can't seem to bring multiple fed felony firearm charges against the pants sagging gang bangers.  Or the feds did not have the time to try the Muslim terrorist in Little Rock who murdered the military recruiter. 

They pick and choose what they enforce for mainly political reasons.  We do not have a justice system anymore where true justice is served to the true wrong doers of society.  It is nothing but a legal system that can be extremely expensive for the unintentional violator and a free ride for the true criminals..

Edited by 270win

My concern is more that they spent the time and money involved for a length federal investigation for something where the subject of the investigation obviously had no criminal intent.  Did he make a mistake yes, was it something that a professional hunter should have known, again id say yes.   But was it something so serious that warrants a Felony charge,  Hardly.

Yep.  Huge waste of taxpayer money.  Murderers, child molsters, meth dealers?  Nah, lets go after the hunter who got the wrong license...   :shake:

I don't know about Kansas, but it sure would be nice if the licenses and regulations were simple, clear, and easy to understand.  Just yesterday I spent 10 minutes waiting in line while the clerk tried to explain to a guy that having a fishing license and a trout stamp wasn't enough.  If he wanted to fish for trout in Tellico, he also had to have a Tellico trout stamp, and it's a one-day stamp only.  I'll grant you that's not exactly rocket science, but it sure could be a lot simpler. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 4
Yup the first fishing license I bought after I moved down here was a resident fishing license, had no idea I couldn't use it outside of your county of residence & that I was forbidden to use artificial baits or lures with it.

In Indiana a fishing license was a fishing license, they didn't care what type of bait or lure you used or where in the State you fished at.

So I've had 3 different licenses since moving down here, a resident, a commercial & a hunting/fishing combo.

I'm still not 100% certain that I am in compliance with everything but at least I've tried LOL.

I agree 100%

Dave S

Yup the first fishing license I bought after I moved down here was a resident fishing license, had no idea I couldn't use it outside of your county of residence & that I was forbidden to use artificial baits or lures with it.

In Indiana a fishing license was a fishing license, they didn't care what type of bait or lure you used or where in the State you fished at.

So I've had 3 different licenses since moving down here, a resident, a commercial & a hunting/fishing combo.

I'm still not 100% certain that I am in compliance with everything but at least I've tried LOL.

When was this?

It can get pretty confusing. Now, try enforcing the laws when you deal with three different agencies and three different sets of regulations!

A hair yanking experience for sure!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS
I have read other states hunting regs and they can be confusing. He should have checked and double checked. A mistake yes and could have been avoided but to launch a federal investigation is just crazy. Besides it shouldn't have taken 4 years of taxpayers dollars either.
  • Like 1

When was this?
It can get pretty confusing. Now, try enforcing the laws when you deal with three different agencies and three different sets of regulations!
A hair yanking experience for sure!

Dave S

It was last spring when I first moved to TN, I just asked for "a fishing license" and they asked me what kind and I said "a regular one" to which they issued me one of the county residence licenses.

So much for the thousands of dollars of tackle that I have aquired over the years LOL, anyway I remedied that with the combo license this year, but I still needed a $300.00 freaking dollar commercial license to run a string of catfish slat-baskets & trot-lines!

I don't mind paying a reasonable fee, but TN seems to be on the high-side w/regards to paying for hunting & fishing privilages.

Oh and don't get me started on the limited seasons & small bag-limits.
  • Like 1

Speaking of TN being on the high side for hunting and fishing, 41/2 more months and I can buy my daughter her lifetime sportsman license.  The way I figure it prices are only going to go up so if I get her the lifetime for her first birthday it will save her lots over her life.  If she ends up being more like her mom and not into that sort of thing i'm only out a couple hundred.  For those out there with young children or grandchildren it is definitely worth looking in to

• Like 1

All while people kill one another in Memphis.  The feds can't seem to bring multiple fed felony firearm charges against the pants sagging gang bangers.  Or the feds did not have the time to try the Muslim terrorist in Little Rock who murdered the military recruiter. 

They pick and choose what they enforce for mainly political reasons.  We do not have a justice system anymore where true justice is served to the true wrong doers of society.  It is nothing but a legal system that can be extremely expensive for the unintentional violator and a free ride for the true criminals..

Boy howdy!!

A hunter and fisherman can be asked anything you want and that's OK. Ask a man his name when he open carries and buddy it's hell on wheels game on!!!

Our justice system needs a serious overhauling razorback!

Dave S

• Like 1
Guest 270win

I do think the hunting and fishing licenses here are expensive.  I used to pay 35 dollars for a combo hunting and fishing license in Arkansas and could hunt and fish just about anything.  If I duck hunted, I believe I would have had to get a state duck stamp.  As far as deer hunting, archery, muzzleloader, modern gun, it was all done with that 35 dollar license..  The season there is longer too for archery.

Edited by 270win

I do think the hunting and fishing licenses here are expensive.  I used to pay 35 dollars for a combo hunting and fishing license in Arkansas and could hunt and fish just about anything.  If I duck hunted, I believe I would have had to get a state duck stamp.  As far as deer hunting, archery, muzzleloader, modern gun, it was all done with that 35 dollar license..  The season there is longer too for archery.

License here is pretty expensive depending what and where you hunt and fish.

Dave S

So if this was a incorrect hunting license issue, why did they not prosecute him for that specific violation under state law instead of this ridiculous Lacey Act under federal law? Seems they were trying really hard to bring this guy down hard for a small mistake.

I've heard Ted Nugent complain about being harassed. This makes me feel like the Feds are watching and going after celebrity gun owners and hunters. Especially with the recent IRS scandal.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnwbSN1l3SQ

Speaking of TN being on the high side for hunting and fishing, 41/2 more months and I can buy my daughter her lifetime sportsman license.  The way I figure it prices are only going to go up so if I get her the lifetime for her first birthday it will save her lots over her life.  If she ends up being more like her mom and not into that sort of thing i'm only out a couple hundred.  For those out there with young children or grandchildren it is definitely worth looking in to

I got my 5 yr old his lifetime sportsman when he was 3.  His little brother will be getting his this year as well.  Seems worthwhile whether they get into it or not. 

Why has the Lacey Act only applied to conservative companies and now a hunter? Seems like they drudged this act up to prosecute people who don't think like the current administration does. Why didn't they just give him a citation for an incorrect license and suspend his hunting rights in Kansas. I don't see where this is a federal issue and certainly not a felony.

I know Spook.  He is a great guy.  When he shot this deer, it was the largest ever shot on film.  This buck garnered a lot of attention.

JohnC, Kansas went after him also.  The $20,000 fine was 10k for Kansas and 10K for the government.  He also lost his hunting rights in Kansas for a year, the rest of the US for 6 months.

Bigwakes, the Lacey Act only applies because he brought the deer back to Tennessee, so it crossed state lines.  Once he crossed state lines, it became a federal violation as well.

All of us hunter need to be aware of the Lacy Act.  If any of us kill a deer in Alabama, tag it incorrectly and bring it back to Tn, we have committed a federal crime.  

Know the hunting regs of where ever you hunt.

Do I think Spook made an honest mistake, yes.  Should he have known better, hell yes.  He is a professional hunter, its his job to know the law.  

I bet he never makes that mistake again though.

• Like 1

Just yesterday I spent 10 minutes waiting in line while the clerk tried to explain to a guy that having a fishing license and a trout stamp wasn't enough.  If he wanted to fish for trout in Tellico, he also had to have a Tellico trout stamp, and it's a one-day stamp only.  I'll grant you that's not exactly rocket science, but it sure could be a lot simpler. 

I used to think all that was needed to fish for trout at Tellico was a regular fishing license and the Tellico permit.  I never realized you still needed the (extra $18) state wide trout stamp along with the extra Tellico-Citico permit until I was buying license one time and the person at the counter told me.  I actually doubted what she said and tried to confirm or negate by carefully reading the fishing regs book - to no avail.  I ended up calling the TWRA and the person who answered the phone couldn't answer the question, either - she had to put me on hold while she found out the answer from someone else.  Yeah, real clear regs there, guys (not to mention sticking it to someone who would like to engage in an activity like fishing that should be both simple and affordable.) 

So, one day of fishing at Tellico can cost:

Hunting and Fishing combo license:  $28

Statewide Trout Stamp:                     $18

One Day Tellico-Citico Permit:           $5.50

That's a total of $51.50.  Of course, all but the $5.50 Tellico-Citico permit are good for more than one day but still I could buy one heck of a fish dinner at Red Lobster for $51.00 - and I don't even like eating trout all that much (but they are a lot of fun to catch.)

Honestly, if I wanted to discourage 'regular' people from hunting or fishing I'd probably start with the system of confusing regs and multiple-license expenses we have here in TN.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
So according to the Lacey Act...it's illegal for me to kill a deer in Tennessee and then drive it home (also in Tennessee) but take highway 72 (because its faster) which happens to go through North Mississippi??

So according to the Lacey Act...it's illegal for me to kill a deer in Tennessee and then drive it home (also in Tennessee) but take highway 72 (because its faster) which happens to go through North Mississippi??

Only if it was taken illegally. A legally taken deer that is tagged properly can cross state lines.

Edited by KahrMan

There's a reason why I try to just feed the fish. I don't keep anything but pictures.

I believe that a person still needs to be licensed even if that person is just "catching & releasing".

Or at least that was the case in Indiana, TN might be different.

I believe that a person still needs to be licensed even if that person is just "catching & releasing".

Or at least that was the case in Indiana, TN might be different.

I know and do have a license, but in the unlikely event I hook something I don't have a permit for,  I don't have to worry about it as I don't keep anything anyway.