Benghazi, AP phone, and IRS scandals. Changing minds?

I don't think taking the Fifth counts for anything unless it is in a court of law.  I am surprised she was not compelled to talk.

I thought the same thing.

I also thought "Who can fire these gd people? Can Congress say: You don't talk, you don't work. You're fired. Look for a box from UPS with your personal items from your office in it... GTFO of here before I have you arrested for trespassing" like they should've done this morning.

I mean she still gets a paycheck from us.She can choose to not incriminate herself all day but she don't need to get paid doing it. Screw her

Is that guy the only one that can fire her azz? 

Which leads to another thought. We The People do not vote for these mf'n commissioners that are screwing us all. They are appointed. Anything they do at all IS the appointers responsibility and liability. They can't say they're appointed by the previous guy if they still allow them to work. Therefore in my mind they can hang that guy no matter if he's directly tied to it or not. It's still his gd fault directly. No matter wth they say. 

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

From the hearings, these high muck-a-muck fearless leader commissioner jobs look radically desirable. High pay and you don't have to do anything or know anything at all. No talent or expertise required. Extra points if you are ENTIRELY incurious, have absolutely no initiative, and have zero long-term or short-term memory. The ideal candidates for these jobs would either be the profoundly mentally retarded or final-stage alzheimers patients.

The house committee reserved the right to call Lerner and compel testimoney under oath, expressing the opinion that she waived her 5th amendment rights by making an opening statement and answering one substantive question AFTER pleading the fifth.

It would take too long to find a video clip, if one exists, of something I recall from the holder hearing last week (May 15). The entire hearing is most likely on CSPAN but it would be time-consuming to find the little piece-- One of the reps asked Holder if Holder's opening of a Justice investigation of the IRS issue, would give potential witnesses the excuse to refuse to answer committee questions because it might interfere with an FBI investigation. OF NOTE-- That is the exact excuse used by Lois Lerner.

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Lester Weevils

Like water board her during the hearing or something?

- OS

Perhaps I'm recalling incorrectly, but have vague recollections of times in the past where it is immediately off to jail for contempt of congress, if compelled and she refuses to cooperate.

Perhaps I'm recalling incorrectly, but have vague recollections of times in the past where it is immediately off to jail for contempt of congress, if compelled and she refuses to cooperate.

Well, that would be fine with me.

Dunno if any folks were jailed for contempt in front of congressional hearings, but lots have been for contempt of court, which seems to be some sort of clear cut distinction.

Judy Miller, currently of FOX, spent a couple of months in jail for refusing to testify at a federal grand jury when she was still with NY Times, for example. Can't right off point to any federal employees that have been jailed for contempt in any situation?

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

According to this-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_Congress

The only person to see jail time for contempt of congress in recent times was Rita Lavelle, EPA, 1983. However, it is labeled as a partial list which needs expansion.

Thinking further about it, not only is this Lois Lerner "not very good at math" but she doesn't appear to be a particularly sharp lawyer, or capable of hiring especially sharp lawyers. Otherwise she would have been smart enough (or her lawyers smart enough) to avoid making opening statements under oath. And even more dumber, was to answer a substantive question after invoking the fifth. I'm completely ignorant of law and even I would have been smart enough not to answer that question. When that happened while I was watching the hearing this morning, it got me giggling.

Edited by Lester Weevils

If true, this one is pretty jolly-- Lois Lerner to plead the fifth at wednesday's house hearing--  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328696/Lois-Lerner-Top-IRS-official-invoke-Fifth-Amendment-congressional-hearing-tea-party-targeting-program.html

I don't know if it is still allowed to mercilessly badger a witness taking the fifth, as was sometimes done in the past. IOW, rather than accept the fifth and dismiss the witness, keep asking questions for hours, forcing them to plead the fifth over and over and over again for the cameras. I've seen old video of this done to underworld characters and such.

Am not a lawyer (for damn sure) but heard somewhere that a witness can't take the fifth on some questions and answer others. If that is true, it would be lots better than bear baiting to get Lois Lerner up there, and after she pleads the fifth to 20 or 30 relevant questions, proceed with questions such as--

"Is it true you like to pick your nose and eat it?" "I plead the fifth."

"Is it true you only bathe once a month?" "I plead the fifth."

"Is it true you once did every employee at the cleveland branch in a single afternoon?" "I plead the fifth"

I'd just say, "I plead the 5th to infinity" and not say any more. :)

That tingle in Chris Matthews leg seems to have turned into a thrombosis.

He's really dissing the admin over the way they've handled all this, and hitting BHO hard!

If MSNBC turns against him, can he actually survive his term?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Lester Weevils

I'm never right about anything, but suspect Lois' best insurance against some random tragic fatal accident is to cozy up with Issa's bunch and squeal like a pig. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/05/23/obamas-aides-protected-blew-credibility/

So perhaps a reporter will try asking him if the administration is sending heavy arms Syrian rebels. Maybe someone is doing it but doesn’t want him to know so he can credibly deny it to other world leaders. Or let’s say someone asks about any of the scandals. It’s reasonable at this point to assume that he’s not the right person to query since someone may be PROTECTING him.

The White House claim that the witholding from the president of information on the report was done by a bunch of White House boy scouts to avoid any kind of perception of meddling in an inspector general investigation doesn’t make much sense. The White House already knew. If there was going to be meddling, it would far more likely have been done by staff than the president. This was purely an operation to protect the president’s political backside.

Obama’s getting slammed for not knowing what’s going on in his administration. But it seems he doesn’t even know what’s going on in his own chief of staff’s office.

Maybe Valerie Jarrett should do the next press conferences instead. Or if Obama does it, the staff should at least make sure he reads the papers first so he knows what’s going on.

I don't think taking the Fifth counts for anything unless it is in a court of law. I am surprised she was not compelled to talk.

Being subpoenaed before congress is a lot like going to court. You are sworn in and have to tell the truth. If in telling the truth you admit to criminal activity then you can expect a visit from the relevant LEO. Thus she took the fifth to try and stay out of trouble. And she goofed that up good
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

She used the 5th after she gave her statement, also, making her wave the 5th Amendment protection.

That was a pretty dumb thing her lawyer had her do, if one did.

Guest Lester Weevils

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/05/23/Alan-Dershowitz-Lois-Lerner-can-be-held-in-contempt-by-Congress

Dershowitz says Lerner forfeited her fifth amendment rights and her lawyer is "guilty of malpractice" allowing her to make a statement then afterwards answer a question.

He also mentioned what I vaguely recalled-- He said the congress never uses it anymore, but there is a little house of representatives jail and they can declare contempt and frog march uncooperative witnesses straight to that little jail, though usually they refer it to the justice dept.

Because the justice dept refused to prosecute holder for contempt already, then maybe it is time to dust off the little House jail. :) Depending on what Lois knows, she may be safer in the House jail than in her own home. :)