The Zen of CCW

I read a lot here about guys who like to advertise that they carry (Decals, Badges, big guns print across the room, etc.) Maybe I am totally off target, but my main philosophy is that I don't want the other guy to know I am carrying. If he knows I am carrying I have given him lead time to formulate a plan on how to take me. I want the S&W 64X to be a complete surprise at the last moment. I am not inviting the SOB to a duel, I am actually trying to avoid him completely. If the shtf I want to be the one with the surprise and the lead time. The first notice I have a piece should be the loud bang and the feel of several pieces of hot metal tearing into his thorax. If the incident doesn't go down I still don't want anybody else to know I am/was armed. I like the impression that I give that I am just a little elderly baldheaded grandpa. It keeps me from being involved in stupid things with stupid people in stupid places. I look harmless and overzealous LEOs don't normally target me as trouble, so if I don't get into a shooting bout, I will probably be allowed to walk away without further incident. If I advertise my armed status, I am going to have more problems than I need. I personnaly feel that those of us who carry should forget the politics and macho stuff and keep as low a profile as possible. I intend to walk in the crowd with only my wife knowing I am armed, nobody else needs to know.

How do others feel about this.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I prefer to carry concealed. IMO, it's simply no one else's business what I do, as long as it's legal, and carrying concealed prevents them from knowing. There are also other reasons I don't carry openly. Mainly, it can prevent SOME issues.

Just as a complete sidenote, I understand that churches are an off-limits location in MS. Someone who went to church in say, MS, might run into problems if they didn't carry concealed, and, for that matter, even though it's perfectly legal in TN to carry in a church, someone still might run into problems if they carried openly. Especially, if that person, lets just say, played an instrument and was on stage.

I'm sure that could apply to any public gathering that a person attended. Even though it might be legal to carry a gun at the location, it might be a good idea to be discreet about it.

So, in my opinion (which is worth everything you paid for it) in most circumstances, I think it's better to carry concealed. IIRC, most people here feel the same way.

Edited by robbiev

I could not agree more. I carry a Ruger SP101 in a DeSantis pocket holster. No one has ever noticed it. I usually avoid places I know could be trouble. Unfortunately no one is sure where these places are any more. I have it if I need it, and pray I NEVER use it. Just like insurance.

Guest nraforlife

Why I generally carry in a concealment undershirt. As I have said in the past it is a SLOW draw BUT no printing and nothing visible at all to any wandering eyes. I do wear IWB tuckable sometimes and always tucked. Don't invite trouble unnecessarily.

I don't think anyone on this forum wears a concealed carry badge.

I couldn't believe I saw an add for one of these things in an NRA magazine. Claiming,"this badge may save your life."

More like,"this thing could cost you your life." :D

I read a lot here about guys who like to advertise that they carry (Decals, Badges, big guns print across the room, etc.) Maybe I am totally off target, but my main philosophy is that I don't want the other guy to know I am carrying. If he knows I am carrying I have given him lead time to formulate a plan on how to take me. I want the S&W 64X to be a complete surprise at the last moment. I am not inviting the SOB to a duel, I am actually trying to avoid him completely. If the shtf I want to be the one with the surprise and the lead time. The first notice I have a piece should be the loud bang and the feel of several pieces of hot metal tearing into his thorax. If the incident doesn't go down I still don't want anybody else to know I am/was armed. I like the impression that I give that I am just a little elderly baldheaded grandpa. It keeps me from being involved in stupid things with stupid people in stupid places. I look harmless and overzealous LEOs don't normally target me as trouble, so if I don't get into a shooting bout, I will probably be allowed to walk away without further incident. If I advertise my armed status, I am going to have more problems than I need. I personnaly feel that those of us who carry should forget the politics and macho stuff and keep as low a profile as possible. I intend to walk in the crowd with only my wife knowing I am armed, nobody else needs to know.

How do others feel about this.

and the feel of several pieces of hot metal tearing into his thorax?

Er um... don't you mean center mass? :D

Personally, I prefer to carry concealed. IMO, it's simply no one else's business what I do, as long as it's legal, and carrying concealed prevents them from knowing. There are also other reasons I don't carry openly. Mainly, it can prevent SOME issues.

quote]

+1

I carry concealed because if I ever find myself in a situation where I may be forced to draw my gun I want it to be a surprise to the BG. It seems that advantage is something that you would give up by open carrying. I, too, like the idea that only my wife knows that I am carrying.

I agree for the most part, however, I do chose to open carry when walking my dogs because if a BG jumps you or more likely Bad Dog gets loose and comes after you, you will not have the element of surprise. You will be the one surprised and you better be fast on the draw or be prepared to get bit or mauled. My wife has to walk them by herself at night and I want her to get the HCP so she can open carry at night walking them also. I'd hate for her to get jumped or bit because she didn't think she needed a HCP or needed to carry. This is a crazy world we live in and you never know what might happen.

Guest janwbrown616

I guess out of habit I always carry concealed (except at the range, duhhh.)

If I'm in a business and someone comes in to rob it. Chances are they would not have noticed I was carrying till the last minute. THEN, Bang, They are going to go for me first.

I just soon, keep a low profile....

As already partially pointed out... unless you were looking for trouble, when the shtf you will be the one who is surprised, and will not have any lead-time (otherwise you should have been making tracks away from the developing situation). The idea is not to 'one-up' the BG by surprising him back... it is to have quick access to your means of neutralizing him, preferably before he can make any reaction at all. I really don't care if a BG is surprised by my 'armedness'... as a matter of fact, I would prefer that he is well aware that I would not be easy prey, and decides against it to begin with.

I guess out of habit I always carry concealed (except at the range, duhhh.)

If I'm in a business and someone comes in to rob it. Chances are they would not have noticed I was carrying till the last minute. THEN, Bang, They are going to go for me first.

I just soon, keep a low profile....

Or they see your gun at the last minute and decide that maybe now is not the best time to be robbing the place. Most robbers are not looking to die or get in a gun fight, they just want money. Seems like a lot of people here think that every robber or BG is looking to take out a bunch of people and that you're going to be first cause you're wearing a gun.

...even though it's perfectly legal in TN to carry in a church, someone still might run into problems if they carried openly. Especially, if that person, lets just say, played an instrument and was on stage.

I recalled one incident.

Once, a few years ago, at the church I used to attend, the head of security asked an off-duty (I'm assuming, anyway) but fully uniformed police officer to leave his gun in the car because it would scare people.

Guest C4Dave

I carry concealed, not because I want to surprise a BG, but to avoid all the other problems. If a BG knows you are carrying, they will find another victim. Most assaults/robberies occur when others are not around. The BG will pick out an easy target, and hit you quick. Many times from behind. You won't know what hit you. You are on the ground, and getting pummeled. They grab your wallet, and its over. They take off running.

If you are carrying open, they will move on to an easier target. There's lot's of target out there.