Optic for a 30-30 Marlin

I've been staring at my Marlin 336 for a while now wondering what to put on top of the XS rail. I've upgraded to a Wild West Guns big loop lever and put the XS long rail mount on it. Next in line will be to trim the barrel down to 16.5" and thread it (need more things to put a 30cal can on). While I'm waiting for the lathe at the shop to get freed up for personal projects, I'm in need of a scope/optic for this nice lever action. I don't forsee this being something I shoot past 100 yards with since subsonic 30-30 is about as long range as throwing a rock.

I put on an EOTech I had sitting around and it looked too goofy, couldn't take the rifle seriously anymore. Next I tried a Bushnell TRS-25 (Micro red dot), it looked good but I don't have any extras of those and pulled it from my 300BO to check out. I'm still leaning towards something with a bit of magnification though and I love mil-dots. 

So my question is this; What are you running on your 30-30 lever action, why did you go with that and what reticle does it have?

....So my question is this; What are you running on your 30-30 lever action, why did you go with that and what reticle does it have?

I don't have but two "good" scopes, meaning that cost over about 50 clams, and one of them is on my Marlin .30-30.

Went with Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with the  matte BDC reticule.

Because, was on sale for little over a hundred, and I had gift card, and it was free shipping and whatnot, and Nikon line is plenty fine with me.  SG I believe, but might have been Cabela's. Anyway, wanted the BDC because .30-30 drops so much past 100 yards, thought it would be handy. And it is, though I haven't shot the thing in the last year I don't believe.

I believe it's this reticule:

NIKON-Monarch-4-16x50-SF-Riflescope-BDC-

But been shooting for the last 10 months or so at range that I can only get about 135 yards, and I don't hunt,  so ha on me.

- OS

A Williams or Skinner Peep Sight is the way to go in my opinion. The main allure of a lever is that it's easy to carry, and a scope negates that.

+1 Why ruin that clean looking rifle with a big ole' optic? But to answer your question if it were me I'd definitely go with a "traditional" style scope.

I like the skinner a lot, but disliked all of the Williams I tried.

As far as scopes go, I really like the 1-4x20 Leupold and Nikon Monarch scopes. In particular, Nikon made an illuminated reticle that was great on 1 power.

Meant to mention in first post as fair disclosure, I'll probably take that scope off the 336 at some point, mainly put it on there to so what the rifle "can do", which is quite impressive btw.

I agree that having a scope on lever gun negates a bit of its great lightweight and slim style handling, not to mention it just dumps on the traditional look of the thing, too.

I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 too, and never put a scope on it at all. May well try a peep on one or both at some point.

- OS

Agree with previous posters on Skinner sights. It's much easier (for me) to get on target, don't snag (like a scope) on brush when you're in the woods, and you don't have to worry about knocking them off sight (once set, they stay set).

I bought it with a Williams peep on it and removed it for the rail to go on. I'd love to get the RamLine plastic furniture since the existing stock has a crack in it. I've got a Nikon P-223 on my 300BO Handi Rifle and a P-22 on my Savage MKII, both with the BDC reticles. I like them both pretty well, the Bushnell Elite HD on my 300BO AR has clearer glass though, but it's also pretty bulky in comparison to the Nikons. I do like how low the scope is on your former lever actions Craig. The search still goes on...I'll wait and see what midsouthshootingssupply has for sale in the next few weeks.

Chris, That one with the synthetic stock was a fast to put into action.  We went stipple crazy on that one too!  I'll check with my gunsmith friend in AL if he still has it. He and I traded some guns 4 times.  He is coming up next weekend to trade me out of one of my 1022s for one of my old CZ 452s.  I'm going to trade him some ammo, optics and other .22s for new to me .22s.

Craig 

I bought it with a Williams peep on it and removed it for the rail to go on. I'd love to get the RamLine plastic furniture since the existing stock has a crack in it. I've got a Nikon P-223 on my 300BO Handi Rifle and a P-22 on my Savage MKII, both with the BDC reticles. I like them both pretty well, the Bushnell Elite HD on my 300BO AR has clearer glass though, but it's also pretty bulky in comparison to the Nikons. I do like how low the scope is on your former lever actions Craig. The search still goes on...I'll wait and see what midsouthshootingssupply has for sale in the next few weeks.

You should be banned from owning lever action rifles all together. :shake:

:D

You should be banned from owning lever action rifles all together. :shake:

:D

Haha. Yea but what I'm looking to do isn't nearly as bad as what Mossberg did to theirs. My other 2 lever actions are pretty standard, Rossi ranch hand in .45LC, Rossi M92 .454 Casull with 16" ported barrel. This 30-30 is just something different to throw a suppressor on.

My 30-30 has a 3-7x leopould scope.  Because I had the scope on hand more than selection for this gun.   Its just a regular old fashioned crosshair.  Its fine at the range of this gun; a 30-30 is typically used at 300 or less yards, and it works for me.  

My 308 lever has a something (10ish?) to 24 power cheap "sniper" scope on it with mil dots or dashes (I forget but some sort of field-guesstimate type).   For use at longer ranges.   While overpowerful and "too easy" at shorter ranges like 100-200, there is much to be said for overpowerful and easy .....  a good choice for a casual day or to show off your "skill" :)

I tried the Skinner on my 336 in .35 Remington. I wanted to keep the original front sight so I tried the low profile version. Mistake for me, since the holes on my receiver were a little off center, and I didn't have enough drift on the front sight to compensate.

BTW, used the stock buckhorns during deer season, when glare and poor eyesight almost cost me a young buck. Good thing he hung around for a second shot.

Anyway, I have a Weaver rail now, and am thinking about the Bushnell Banner BDC scope. Or I may just save my money and use something in my closet.

My Marlin/Glenfield 336 belonged to my late father.  I still remember when he first got it, back in the '70s when I was just a kid.  It actually came brand new with a rail already mounted and a scope.  The scope even says "Marlin" on the tube.  I have no idea what kind of scope it is, though.  I took the scope off back when dad was still alive, before it was even officially 'mine' when I was shooting it more than dad did.  I still have it somewhere but I don't think it is currently on the rifle.

Edited by JAB