"Well Stocked" or "Hoarder"?

I have heard many TGO members make reference to the fact that they are "well stocked" when it comes to their ammo supply. I have also heard the term "hoarder" used to describe people trying to buy ammo. Where do you draw the line between well stocked and hoarder.  What do you consider to be a good number of rounds to keep on hand at all times?

I'll go first.  

1,000 rounds of each caliber center fire gun that I own.

5,000 rounds of .22lr or .22mag.

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

Well stocked is anything between enough to see you through a hopefully short-term run like we're in now and enough to last you the rest of your shooting life (the stuff is only going to get more expensive). That number will change depending on how much a person shoots. I don't call it hoarding until a person has, based on their shooting volume, more than they will shoot in their lifetime.

At my current rate of shooting practice, I've got enough for a couple of months, around 600 rounds I guess of my favorite calibers.  I could afford to buy much more. I'm gonna wait though and hope things settle down in the reloading market.  That's where I'm heading.

What's the difference, you ask?  I think that's purely a matter of perspective of the person looking at it.

Ideally, we should all be able to keep a few boxes of what we shoot on hand to go to the range, hunt, etc.  When you need more, then you happily go to your favorite sporting goods store and get a few more boxes. All is well. Plenty on hand for everyone, and for what everyone needs.

However, when you take into account an administration that does not view our hobby/lifestyle (substitute the word you want) the same way, and would be more than happy to restrict it in any way possible, then you throw some crazed criminals in the mix who do horrible things and fuel the fire, so to speak, of the very people who would like to curtail the ability of those in the gun owning community to get what they want or need, then a different dynamic is added to the mix.

How much is too little? How much is enough for whatever you think might be heading down the road?

That's your call.

I think the ammunition market may be starting to stabilize.  That being said, some states and some legislators have mentioned curtailing online sales. Some want a background check for ammo purchases. Some states are beginning to work on legislature to ban sales of lead ammunition. Some people don't want to camp out at WalMart or Academy or wherever to score a box of ammo where they can, and save themselves time and aggravation by buying in bulk or reloading. Some refuse to pay stupid money buying from resellers who mark up store-bought ammo and/or reloading supplies to ridiculous prices, and they don't know when it will end, so they sock some away.  Some are preparing fpr a 'Red Dawn' -type of experience or Zombies. Does that make it excessive, or hoarding?  Or justified?

What do you think will happen, long term? What's your budget? When you look in your safes or closets, do you think that maybe you're hoarding, or maybe that you ought to have some more?

All in your point of view.

I think the difference between hoarding and well stocked is whether the amount you have is for the purpose of shooting and preparation versus just acquiring for the sake of acquiring. I don't think you can put a number on that since it would vary from person to person.

For example, my number for .22lr was one brick on hand. My opinion on that has changed, drastically. My number for 5.45, 5.56, 7.62 and 12 GA hasn't changed though. A double basic load on hand minimum that stays untouched, and the rest for shooting.

I have enough that I don't feel pressured by the current craziness, and I haven't bought any ammo except for a couple of cases of 7.62x54R in the last 6 months. However, I don't feel comfortable enough to shoot much until the craziness subsides. So, I'm close to being well stocked from one perspective, but not from another. Those that are running short on ammo would probably still say that I'm well stocked, but I've only shot a few hundred rounds during the last few months to keep myself that way.

Guest Lester Weevils

If a person would for instance shoot a hundred .22 LR's on each range visit, and he shoots weekly, then he would need 5200 for a mere years supply.

I think Hoarding is what people do after an ammo crisis begins. Stocking is the same thing, just before the ammo crisis begins. I wouldn't put a number on it because it all depends on what you are "stocking" for. Are you stocking for going to the range or for resisting the placemet in DHS internment camps? Edited by bigwakes
  • Like 2
Guest 556or762
Who keeps ammo, isn't ammunition dangerous? I could use some more but I got enough to play with for now. Id say ammo hoarding is just like hoarding anything else, a hoarder is compelled to buy things even though they don't need or will never use them. I would probably use several cases of ammo a year if I shot like I used to, IDPA, .22 matches, rifle matches, lots of practice=lots of ammo.

I live out in the country, and shoot here as well. I find it inconvenient to go to the store and buy ammo or reloading components each time I want to shoot a gun. Local stores often do not carry most of the calibers I shoot anyway. I find it economical to be "stocked up" at all times. When something I use becomes low, I'll make one trip to the store, or online order to restock several things.

I have a good amount now, but when the panic first started I was low. Thankfully I was able to get the reloading components I needed and got some .22lr a few times at Academy or Bass Pro so now I am set.

Yes, I wish I had more, but I have enough to allow me to shoot as much as normal and enough components to keep reloading and keep my current level.

As a poster above said, stocking is with the intent to use it, hoarding is more having it just for the hell of it even if not needed. Most shooters I know fall in the stocking category as they intend to shoot what they have.