Taurus Mil. Pro 145PT. 45c vs. Springfield XD Sub 9mm

Guest sysco462

Guest sysco462

Ok. I have narrowed my new gun purchase down to 2 guns. I would appreciate any advice/opinions on these 2 guns. I have done research on both guns and its seems like I can't go wrong with either one.

1) Taurus Millineum Pro 145 PT .45 cal - for $369.00

2) Springfield XD Sub compact 9mm - for $469.00

I appreciate the advice.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jdavis

i would buy the springfield they are very dependable guns springfield is one of the oldest gun manafacturers around so they have to know something about a gun, just throw in a few more bucks and get a 45 compact thats what i carry it is concealable and its still enough gun to hold on too. i have owned a few taurus autos and have had some trouble with feeding i would also stay away from the autos in taurus but thats just my oppinion some people love them. ( buy springfield you wont be dissapointed.):mad:

Guest Ghostrider

Best of both worlds? XD45c

I have one and it's been totally sold - just don't put reloads in it....

Springfield has the details of the 20k round test they did with one. Darn good reading...

Guest bkelm18

There's nothing wrong with Taurus automatics. Every single one I have seen has been flawless and functioned perfectly. I say go with whatever fits you best.

Guest Brian@GunDepot

I don't consider those two guns in the same category, honestly. Taurus is more in line/quality with Kel-tec... if even that good.

The XD is a superior pistol to the Mill Pro. They both are good buy, but the XD is better without a second guess in my opinion.

I own an xd45 and a millennium pro 9mm. I think they are both great guns and never had any trouble out of either one. Of course the springfield is going to be the better of the two, but I think taurus is making quality stuff nowdays. I think they just have a bad rep from the past

Guest Todd@CIS
XD.

Stay away from the Taurus automatics.

+1, with the possible exception of the Beretta clones.

Those of you that have had trouble-free Taurus Mils, good on you, but I've seen/heard of way too many that don't work worth a crap.

And, lately, Taurus customer service SUCKS. Dustin has experienced this first hand.

I have a PT-145, it is my daily carry gun and I am very happy with it. That said I did have problems with it, the first gun I bought had a defective safety and I had to exchange it for another one. I also really like the XD’s. At the time I bought this pistol I didn’t have the extra money and I felt I really needed the gun that day. If I had it to do over knowing I could wait a little I would defiantly get the XD, in 45 of course.

Guest Tom@GunDepot

I like the Taurus line as well, for the $$$ they are a great pistol! Springfield is a great pistol also just a matter of personal preference really. I like the 24/7 Pro the best in Taurus just my:2cents:.

For the money I think the Taurus 145 is a good weapon, and it feels good in your hand. I don't own one but a friend does, and I put 50rds down the pipe with no problems. I do own a XD-9, XDM-40, XD-45 and all I can say about the Springfield XD, it's a reason why is was the gun of the year in 2007. For the money I don't think you can beat them. Go for the XD.

I would have to say go with the XD if you can swing it. I have both and yea the taurus is dependable with factory ammo, but i cant get it to run hand loads to save the world. I called taurus to discuss the problem and was told that they didn't recommend using handloads and they have heard of many customers with that problem but were not interested helping me fix it. I understand if they didnt want to cover it under warranty but they refused to even talk about what could cause the problem.

I have found that extra mags for the xd are much easier to find and you also have the option of using the extended mags from the full size xd for more capacity.

You may also want to look at a S&W M&P. i purchased one over the weekend and was very impressed with it. Only downside is they dont yet have a compact version in 45acp yet.

Also as Magiccarpetrides mentioned the resail value on the xd will be higher. I recently sold my taurus PT111 and really took a beating. I would sell my PT145 in a heartbeat if i could get a fair price for it.

Guest sysco462

Ok. I appreciate the advice. I went today and looked and held the 145 and the XD. They both felt good. I also looked at a sub compact Glock. It did not fit my hand very well. I also held an M&P. Are there any more compact size autos that I should consider that are under $500? I want to line up a list of 3 or so to go rent and shoot this week. My permit is due in this week so I am ready to find a good conceal carry gun. You guys have been extremely helpful. THANKS!!!