Adhesive bandage - specifically uncut rolls

When I lived in europe, a friend of mine introduced me to "wundschnellverband". A company named Hansaplast makes it its 6cm x 1m and you cut however wide of a piece that you need. Great for covering an incision or blade wound. or making a small skinny for a finger or something. I can't seem to find a replacement here in the US - my googlefu search skills aren't that good. Anyone seen or heard of this stuff on this side of the pond? If you have - where can I buy - I've run out

thanks

heres an example 

http://www.praxisdienst.com/en/Bandaging+material/Surgical+dressings/Plaster/Band+aid/Hansaplast+Elastic+Adhesive+Plaster+Roll+4cm.html

Edited by morrisster
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like coban to me. This stuff is awesome to keep pressure on something.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Coban-self-adherent-wrap.html

ETA: don't think that'll do exactly what you want. It only sticks to itself. I'll think on it but I don't believe I've seen anything like that as far as having the ability to adhere to skin

ETA(again): Being in the medical field I thought this would be easy, boy was I wrong. Maybe check this out.

http://www.medline.com/product/CURAD-Elastic-Adhesive-Bandage/Medical-Tapes/Z05-PF00293 Edited by KKing

KKing, I'm a nurse and have had lots of exposure to various products and its not coban. Its basically a long/wide uncut bandaid allowing you to cut which ever size you need.

Hozzie, I'll send $20 with you if you find some and wanna grab some for me if you find it.

pitt2magic, your link didn't take me to a product but their main page. what did you search for on their page? I can see if its similar

Guest Lester Weevils

The stretchy stuff that sticks to itself (like the coban linked above) I have bought retail at places like wally world and walgreens, same aisle with the other bandage supplies.

In addition to medical uses, it is almost as good or sometimes better than duct tape for certain ersatz repairs around the house or in the shop. Wonder how many "alternate uses" it might get sold for? Ferinstance Rockler sells that same stuff for woodworkers to wrap their fingers, for protection against splinters and callouses during wood work. Maybe it would also give fingers a "surer grip" holding wood and such, running it thru saws, planers, routers.

Dunno how common it is any more, but back in the "jazz age" when it wasn't so common for every instrument to have its own mic, doghouse bass players would have to slap the crap out of standup basses to generate enough amplitude to be heard in a jazz combo, and they would often bandage up their fingers so that many nights a week, many hours per night of bass playing didn't turn their fingers into hamburger. That coban stuff would probably be excellent for such use as well.

Being in the medical field myself, I have a thought on why you can't buy that stuff here. Think of how a band-aid comes here, with the paper on the adhesive side and the absorbent pad itself. The outer package is marked "sterile if package is intact". This is a FDA thing. The stuff above from Germany or Europe or wherever does not hat the backer so the absorbent pad is not sterile so not up to standards here.

pitt2magic, your link didn't take me to a product but their main page. what did you search for on their page? I can see if its similar

Sorry I was logged into my account when I copied the link so I guess you cant follow it when not logged in.  The site is www.henryschein.com, you may have to go to the medical section.  The item to search for is 

Omnifix Elastic Tape L/F 4"X10YD

Hope this works, without an account you may get some crazy price like $20 a roll, my price is $3.55 a roll.  I also live in Chattanooga so if this is what you are looking for I can order it at my price if you want.

gunwhatgun - that makes sense. but for me for this application I don't really care about sterility (silly thing for a nurse to say I know). I've used it for years and never acquired an infection from it.

omnifix looks like medipore (3m's version) - which is awesome stuff. I'd love a roll of that. I'm leaving friday AM for a job in Kalifornia though (I'll be gone 13 weeks - the life of a travel nurse).  When I get back I'll get in touch with you (end of august)