Anyone got the garden going?

We have ours all turned over and I planted about 3 or 4 rows of pole beans, some okra and cabbage. Hopefully this weekend we will get the tomatoes, cucumbers and squash plants in. Oh and peppers, can't forget the peppers. Anybody else got one going yet?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 20x40 raised bed. Rain drains fast but it sucks up the water in late summer.
I have green beans poking through. Cucumbers and squash about 6inches tall.

My biggest deal this year is an Aframe I built to hang topsey turveys on. I have bell peppers, cucumbers, jalapeños and tomatoes in them. One of my Mr. Stripey tomato plants is already about two foot. I hope they do well.

I have a 20x40 raised bed. Rain drains fast but it sucks up the water in late summer.
I have green beans poking through. Cucumbers and squash about 6inches tall.

My biggest deal this year is an Aframe I built to hang topsey turveys on. I have bell peppers, cucumbers, jalapeños and tomatoes in them. One of my Mr. Stripey tomato plants is already about two foot. I hope they do well.

Don't you just love the Mr Stripey...
  • Like 1

Lettuce, green beans, and peas coming up now.  The lettuce is almost ready to eat.  I lost my larger garden plot so I need to build a raised bed in the yard to make room for tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, and whatever else we decide to plant.  And yes, this business of raining every weekend is getting old real fast. 

JuI have a 12  x 5  raised bed ,  I just put a  border of roofing papar covered  with straw around it and  fenced  it in outside of the paper with a gate on the end.. Last year the fence was right up against the border and I had problems  reaching over to weed and pick stuff.  I'm opanting 3  kinds of tomatoes, peppers  carrots and eggplant after work.   Oh and O raised the height of the fence.  Rabbits mannaged to jump the last one.

I have an eighteen inch wide grand canyon going through the center of my garden from all the rain.

Planted okra, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, bush green beans, cabbage, zucchini, turnips, and Better Boy tomato's. Turnips and green beans just broke the ground the other day. Weeds / grass seem to be growing faster and can't get into the mud to hoe them out. Oh yea, I won't even mention the hundreds of deer prints turned into hundreds of mini ponds in the garden.

Two of my favorite vegetables are Lima beans and peas and I didn't plant any. At my age I can pick them and shell them all day long and not have much to show for all my labor when all said and done. There's got to be a better and more efficient way to shell peas and Lima beans than by hand.

In thirty-five years of planting tomato's, last years crop was by far the best ever. For the first month of harvesting, most were the size of a softball or larger and so very tasty. Only problem is, I don't know what I did differently than any other year?

Oh yea... In those thirty-five years I've known many people who had some ripe tomato's by July 4th, not me, ever... I've always made it a goal of mine to try and get at least one ripe tomato by then. Last year was the first time ever I had numerous softball size ripe tomatoes by the end of June, go figure? Sure would like a repeat this summer!

Edited by Dennis1209

Our garden is going strong. But... Does anyone else have trouble growing beets? No matter how many packs of the blasted things I put in, they won't come up. Having an issue with bush green beans and spinach this year as well, despite the last few years we've had a ton of beans.

Our garden is going strong. But... Does anyone else have trouble growing beets? No matter how many packs of the blasted things I put in, they won't come up. Having an issue with bush green beans and spinach this year as well, despite the last few years we've had a ton of beans.

What bean did you plant?
Also did you plant them in the space where the tomatoes were last year?

What bean did you plant?
Also did you plant them in the space where the tomatoes were last year?

Blue Lake bush beans. And no, they were far from the tomatoes.

Blue Lake bush beans. And no, they were far from the tomatoes.

Weird. I also like the Blue Lake, although this year I planted "Contenders" Pretty much the same bean but just a little shorter growing season. 55 days I think. Maybe you just got lucky and got bad seed. Sometimes it happens. Last year it was carrot seed for me. My second round of carrots did nothing at all.

Weird. I also like the Blue Lake, although this year I planted "Contenders" Pretty much the same bean but just a little shorter growing season. 55 days I think. Maybe you just got lucky and got bad seed. Sometimes it happens. Last year it was carrot seed for me. My second round of carrots did nothing at all.

That's what I think. It happens unfortunately often, though. We've had bad luck with various plants, from turnips to beets to even okra. Heck, this year, we planted about three different sacks of peas. The first two came up great. The third? Maybe about 5%... perhaps we should stop buying seeds from Walmart... where does everyone else get their seeds?