Savage Striker is inbound

So I have toyed with the idea of getting one for some years now. Well about a week ago the bug really hit and I bagan the search. I contacted the seller of every one that has been for sale in the last 18 months on Armslist. Dozens of emails as well as dozens of cold calls to no less than a dozen states finally resulted in one. I got a call last night from a gentleman that indeed had one for sale we discussed it and I decided to sleep on it before making the decision.

Well this morning I notified him I would take it.

We are working out the shipping details and I hope to have it by next weekend to begin the transformation.

What are my plans? Do I really need to say? 300 Blackout!

It is in 7mm-08 but that will change because I will be building a 300 Blackout. It will result in a gun that is more compact than a rifle yet capable of anything a rifle can when shooting subsonics as well as most supersonics. It will have a 8.5"-9.5" bull barrel that is ~.900" in diameter with a straight taper that will be threaded for a suppressor.

I am debating on what to use for aiming but I am really seriously considering a set of irons. I got a killer deal on a set of new Williams front and rear from a handi rifle. I think they would work great when mounted to the barrel but it would mean I could also mount optics.

I am unsure whether the gun will keep its current stock or if I will cut down a rifle stock. I honestly like the idea of a tactical Striker. Maybe a McCree presicion without the rifle stock attached so I can use detachable magazines.

For those of you who do not know what a Savage Striker is

1213434_01_savage_striker_7mm_08_640.jpg

Pictures from here:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1213434/columbia-south-carolina-handguns-for-sale--savage-striker-7mm-08

1213434_02_savage_striker_7mm_08_640.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool.  Tempting to pay the SBR tax and rig up a folding stock.

With a 16" barrel a Savage action is actually very short so no real need to SBR one.

I have left handed and right handed rifled actions. My left handed action will be a bench/prone gun while my right handed action will be more of a general use rifle.

A 300 Blackout doesn't need a 16" barrel to shoot subsonics or even supersonics so the Striker is the great platform for that without going through the SBR process. I just think the Striker will fill a niche for me that my rifles can't. Heck if I could find a way to do it, and yes I have researched, I would build a revolver in 300 Blackout. I already have several Form 1's waiting to be approved.

The Striker will allow me to use it like I do my suppressed Cricket pistol just on a bigger scale.
c8eafdf0.jpg

Nice project. I have Contenders and though about this. My Buddy in South Georgia has had a 300 BLK on his Contender for hog hunting. He told me he is getting mixed results with proper expansion out of a 10" barrel. I haven't spoke with him lately. I have a 30-30 barrel and love it. I have not tried to load it up or down.

I also have always wanted a Striker in .308. I passed a year ago on one in 6mmBR. Keep us posted.

I have no intentions of hunting and if I do it will likely be with subsonic cast bullets. I cannot think of any 30 caliber bullet that will expand to 1.3" which is what the permanent would channel will be as the cast bullet tumbles.

10" of barrel is plenty of barrel to get a PROPER bullet to expand. Most 30 caliber hunting bullets are designed to expand at a velocity that is much higher than the 300 Blackout. You cannot take a bullet designed to expand at 2,800+ fps and expect it to perform at 2,200 fps.

I know, and have had conversations with, several hog hunters that use SBR's to hunt hogs and they all say it works great. But bullet selection is the key. I would not mind hog hunting but I am several hours away from any place where I could.