SkySaver Personal Rescue Device up to 100 stories

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I couldn't help but laugh at the way the guy in the 'training video' just stopped what he was doing and more or less jumped out the window, trusting a likely untested piece of equipment to keep him from a long fall with a sudden stop without even finding out what was going on, first.

Man, he is going to be seriously embarrassed when he finds out that someone's kid was visiting his mom's office and tripped the fire alarm without knowing what it was.  It will be a while before he lives that down around the water cooler.

"Hey, Ron, somebody left a bag of popcorn in the microwave too long and it scorched.  Better grab your backpack and be ready to hit that window!"

or, maybe,

"Yo, Jack, we just had a light bulb to blow out in the conference room.  It could be a fire hazard - better get your backpack!"

I'm not saying that something like this might not be a good thing to keep on hand, just in case, for someone who works in a high-rise (which, thankfully, I don't.)  I'm just saying that their demonstration video was so cheesy as to make it difficult to even take their product seriously.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

300 lbs weight limit? I'm out! :(

I thought so too - but my wife reminded me that I'll probably "lose" about 20lbs in fecal buildup the moment I realized I had to jump out of a 120 story window.  Just keep a change of pants and some baby wipes right next to the backpack for emergency situations.

• Like 1

definitely not within the normal margin of safety... but when it matters/counts you'd rather have it than not. The guy who trained me on my NFPA certs told of a story where he was on a nat geo expedition in china, where for weight savings they had to carry the smallest lines they could afford to. They were on 6-8 mil ropes (shoe strings basically) - the margin of safety was like 1.1:1 - they eliminated people from the team because they were too heavy and the larger ropes would have been too much. 

Would I operate my daily rope work on such thin margins? Absolutely not! Would I mind having a pocket full of cord that can handle my weight to rescue my @ss from a sticky situation? you bet your britches I wouldn't mind. 

Also, would I clip into a handrail screwed into drywall? Ha...

I think it's pretty neat. I would definitely consider one if I worked in a high rise. I don't know about clipping it to an "anchor" on the wall. I would have a big piece of pipe or something that wouldn't even dimensionally fit through the window to anchor to. There could be a lot of lives saved with it. Some buildings have solid glass walls so I think a ball peen hammer should be attached to the pack too.