Compact or Sub Compact

Guest sysco462

Guest sysco462

I am looking for a sub compact or compact gun once I get rid of by Beretta 92FS. I have been told on here of a few good ones - ie - M&P, Springfield XD, Glock, Walther, and a few more. Any suggestions and pros for the particular gun you suggest? Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i suggest a compact if you can conceal it if not a subcompact. i personally can conceal a xd45 service IWB but a xd-45 compact or a xd-40 subcompact would not be out of the question if i needed it to be more concealable.

the springfield xd just fits my hand like nothing else

I have 2 Glocks, G23 (compact) and G27 (sub-compact). The G27 gets carried a lot more but both conceal well and do what they are suppose to do. For a utility handgun they meet my standards.

Go for what feels good to you and that you feel comfortable with.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Can you give us any more information? "Compact" and "subcompact" are largely arbitrary and subjective terms. Are you looking for something to pocket carry? IWB/OWB strong side? What's your body type? Skinny guys toting IWB strong side have a lot to gain by going with a gun with a shorter grip ala an XD or Glock subcompact. Pudgier guys (like me) can get away with a full-size pistol IWB under a T-shirt.

In the end, a lot comes down to personal preference, as well as just how much you're willing to dress around the gun. We'll be glad to help you out.

Guest sysco462

I am 5-11 350lbs. I like the Blackhawk Serpa, but I also have a smart carry holster as well. Don't know if that helped much.

Guest mikedwood

At 5'6 and 150 pounds I'd say the G26 is perfect. I can say it's a great shooting pistol for a subcompact, I think better then my G19 or CZ P-01 (both considered compacts). All in 9mm.

Something like a S&W bodyguard or Taurus 85 is pretty awesome as well.

At 5'11 350 I'd say you could pretty much carry whatever you want. My G-19 looks like I'm trying to hide a Volkswagen when I try and carry it.

Guest janwbrown616

I have the Glock 27, the Walter PPK/S and the LCP. I carry all of them with the Clip Draw.

I'm 6'1 and 190, use the appendix carry for all and never had a doubt... or a problem.

If I"m wearing shorts I can carry the PPK/S or the LCP. A little heavier cloths I carry the 27. Sometimes depends on where I go I'll carry the 27 wearing shorts and a T shirt.

Guest bkelm18
What does anyone think about a Springfield XD 9mm sub compact? I like how it fits in my hand.

That's what I carry. Its a very reliable gun and much more comfortable in my hand than a Glock. The difference in 9mm and .40SW is negligible really when you sit down and look at the numbers. With the right load, a 9mm is very deadly.

Guest Brian@GunDepot
What does anyone think about a Springfield XD 9mm sub compact? I like how it fits in my hand.

Excellent guns. As stated, with good personal defense ammo, the 9mm will do any deed required.

Springfield is a great choice. If you really want a .40, they make it as well on the same frame for the same price give or take a couple bucks. Personally, I think 9mm works just fine for most all occasions. :hyper:

Guest abailey362

I have both a XD service (full size grip) and a subcompact, both in 9mm. I find that I can't stand shooting the subcompact without at least an extension on the mag, which makes it not much shorter than the service weapon. Both are relatively easy to conceal and with either 11 or 17 rds of good JHP, I feel comfortable with either one.

If cost is a big concern you may want to look at the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-145. It is my current carry gun and I am very happy with it. If cost isn’t a big concern for you the EMP is supposed to be nice. Also I handled the Para PXT LDA Carry a while back and was really impressed, if I had the money I would have one.