My shooting table (i hope)

the pictures for my NRA packet to get my card that allows me to use a table a T/R matches. if you have idea's please feel free. it needs to be able to break down and light so we can get it up on too the berms.

IMG_7673_zps42eac374.jpgIMG_7671_zps4f5ef672.jpgIMG_7670_zpsb730455b.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good from here. How is it all held together? Is it stable enough to make good hits?

The only thing I would say based on the photos is that while carpeting is more comfortable on the elbows, a laminate or veneer top may be more durable to the elements.

Good looking start, but I do see 2, 3 or 4 trips back and forth to the truck to get it set up.

Have you thought about trying to hook something to you chair to shoot off of?

Good looking start, but I do see 2, 3 or 4 trips back and forth to the truck to get it set up.

Have you thought about trying to hook something to you chair to shoot off of?

if you have any idea's on that let me know please. the table is in 2 parts.

Looks good from here. How is it all held together? Is it stable enough to make good hits?

The only thing I would say based on the photos is that while carpeting is more comfortable on the elbows, a laminate or veneer top may be more durable to the elements.

yes it seems stable, the J hooks hold it together, the black plastic golds gym step is glued and screwed to the 1/2 plywood. i just shot with it but still have work to do. to make it more natural. i believe i need to get the gun a little higher. having a little trouble with shadows in the scope

do not think to much as the target was only at 70 yards. but is the most i have got to shoot it. all shot groups are 5 rounds each, but the black hills is 8. i had 2 fliers on the first 5 and like what i saw so  went back to it with 3 more rounds. note the 60 grain U-max is what i shot first and the first shot was low and i adjusted. the targets are 3"

IMG_7675_zps7e508c93.jpgIMG_7674_zps70a4b566.jpgIMG_7677_zps95cfeb7b.jpg

Here something that might work and you could make a pouch/mount and carry it on your chair maybe.

[url=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/romad7/media/jawhorse.jpg.html]jawhorse.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/romad7/media/jawhorse_feature-img_folded.jpg.html]jawhorse_feature-img_folded.jpg[/URL]

you could have a narrower rectangular table that extends back and is clamped in the front.  Then hinge the front on a riser with a height adjustment mechanism on the center beam to adjust the angle.

Here's my quick drawing:

[url=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/romad7/media/chairplatform.jpg.html]chairplatform.jpg[/URL]

I wish I was closer, I would love to build this with you.

Edited by Romad7

Them targets look GOOD, if I could be next to the chair I might come up with a plan.

But Mt Juliet is a bit away from you. I do get to Dickson about once a month

to see my Mom.

Here something that might work and you could make a pouch/mount and carry it on your chair maybe.

jawhorse.jpg

jawhorse_feature-img_folded.jpg

you could have a narrower rectangular table that extends back and is clamped in the front.  Then hinge the front on a riser with a height adjustment mechanism on the center beam to adjust the angle.

Here's my quick drawing:

chairplatform.jpg

I wish I was closer, I would love to build this with you.

hmmm there is something to check into

Them targets look GOOD, if I could be next to the chair I might come up with a plan.

But Mt Juliet is a bit away from you. I do get to Dickson about once a month

to see my Mom.

just let us know when you are going there the next time

Hmmm the more I look at what you have and picture it in use in my mind I think two thoughts.

1. Something that could be mounted to your chair would be ideal like Red said.

2. Barring that wouldn't it help to have adjustable legs so it could be used easier on uneven ground? Maybe mount a few levels so it would be easy to adjust to make a flat surface.

This is actually a pretty cool project, I wish I was handier so I could cobble some tables up for you to try out.

BTW, nice shooting, those targets are looking good.

I don't know...seems to me a good solid platform with attached fold-up legs that you could just run your electric chair under would be better than something that is supported from the side like that. A platform supported by 4 corners is going to be much more solid that what I see in your picture and much lighter also...probably a one trip item rather than multiple trips. Not to mention easy setup.  It could also be made wide enough to place your rifle in the center (stability) and allow room on both sides of your rifle for other items (I"m thinking a small bag with a small spotting scope, gloves, tool bag ect...as well as ammo)

Edited by Randall53

I have been looking at mounting the edge of the "bench" on the arm rests and legs for the front 2 corners that will fold somehow.

With out getting next to the chair and getting a good look(we are working on that part) and takeing

a few measurements to get the height right is the next step. Just got to get next to the chair.

now remember i cannot bend

i have drive up to the rifle and the scope. the scope is mounted on a extra riser so the scope and rings could be moved back more than 2" so i can see thru it. my fingers are in the way when i open the bolt. they hit the windage adjustment

Hmmm the more I look at what you have and picture it in use in my mind I think two thoughts.

1. Something that could be mounted to your chair would be ideal like Red said.

2. Barring that wouldn't it help to have adjustable legs so it could be used easier on uneven ground? Maybe mount a few levels so it would be easy to adjust to make a flat surface.

This is actually a pretty cool project, I wish I was handier so I could cobble some tables up for you to try out.

BTW, nice shooting, those targets are looking good.

thanks, just hope once i get it all worked out i can do that at a real distance. i do have levels just need to remove them from the old top. i do have some stuff to put under the legs

I agree about the Jawhorse. It is a great tool, and even if you had to use two, you could put together something that would be easy to put up and tear down. 

i have to find one first the table top has to at least 36" off the ground, but i agree one on each side should be very solid.

we used the old table top to shoot out to 800 yards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NRA Protest Committee were to take issue with the front vertical edge/lip you have installed on the bench. Allowing your bi-pod to rest against that edge/lip could be seen as an advantage to you. They may or may nor require your shooting surface to be completely flat.