the wait begins...

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

Went to the DOS this morning to submit my paperwork. A nightmare as always. But as soon as I get my prints done after work I'll having nothing left to do but wait.

I couple observations about the class. Somewhat informative but really boring. I was very surprised by the number of people in the class who openly admitted that they already carry and are just trying to get legal. I was also surprised that the instructor openly admitted to carrying in posted locations. Finally, I was surprised by how difficult it seemed for some of my classmates to follow simple instructions during the range qualification. The instructor told us exactly how many rounds to load and then each time told us how many to fire. When the instructor would say "you should have X number of rounds left" there were inevitably people who said "no, I've got Y number left." Seemed liked every time the instructor said to fire 1 shot and 1 shot only there was a person who would empty the magazine. There was even a person who put 9 mm in his 40!

Anyway, glad the waiting has started. Will be happy when the waiting is over.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sysco462

Get ready to wait!! I got finger printed on May 20, 2008, and still waiting. I called and they said they were on a 90 day wait period. And you are correct-it was scary to see some of the people in my class that could not follow directions. Many had no business carrying a handgun, due to their lack of intelligence and ability to treat the gun with respect.

Guest pjblurton

Good luck with the wait, bro! I'm at the 71 day mark and just got a letter from the DOS wanting more information on a minor "incident" in Blount County 11 years ago! ARGH!

I got the info faxed to them and they said it will still take two weeks to review it.

Best thing to do is just block it from your mind for the next three months or it'll drive you crazy.

Edited by pjblurton
Guest pjblurton

I agree about the class too!

Where did you take yours. There were some people at Brighton Arms who had to have the rangemaster show them how to load thier weapon and several who missed the sillouette all together!

Scary Stuff!

I agree about the class although i will admit for me the instructor made the class less of a drag. He had a sense of humor and would interject a joke every once in a while. He was very serious about the curriculum so no worries there.

I went to the DMV and got printed yesterday so for me the wait now begins. I do not want to screw up the privilege of being issued a permit, so for me i will not illegally carry. i will continue o just carry to the range is all.... Darnit!

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
I do not want to screw up the privilege of being issued a permit

In the video they show you, the sheriff uses the word "privilege" both at the beginning and the end of the video. It's not a privilege in my mind, it's a right. I hate the fact that I have to wait. How about giving me the benefit of the doubt and letting me carry until my application is rejected (which it won't be).

I wonder if there is a case out there of a person who was injured or murdered while waiting on his permit?

Guest sysco462

I called today about my permit. And she told me they were issuing it today. What exactly does that mean?? It is being mailed today or printed today or??? When can I expect it from time of issue?

Guest pjblurton

Well, if they issue it today, that means that its hot off the press and will get to you within 7 - 14 days.

That's the pat answer.

What it really means is that they sat on thier ass untill you decided to call and rattle thier cage, then got up and decided to earn the f'n $6.55 per hour that we pay them!

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

Stress is killing me!

Finally, I was surprised by how difficult it seemed for some of my classmates to follow simple instructions during the range qualification. The instructor told us exactly how many rounds to load and then each time told us how many to fire. When the instructor would say "you should have X number of rounds left" there were inevitably people who said "no, I've got Y number left." Seemed liked every time the instructor said to fire 1 shot and 1 shot only there was a person who would empty the magazine. There was even a person who put 9 mm in his 40!

I was frightened by other "classmates" when I had my carry class. It turned out that 9 out of 12 people in the class had little or no experience with handguns. I was surprised that one of the guys had a .22 target pistol. That would be really convenient to carry.

In the video they show you, the sheriff uses the word "privilege" both at the beginning and the end of the video. It's not a privilege in my mind, it's a right. I hate the fact that I have to wait. How about giving me the benefit of the doubt and letting me carry until my application is rejected (which it won't be).

I wonder if there is a case out there of a person who was injured or murdered while waiting on his permit?

While I will agree with you that it is our right to own a gun, It is a whole different subject to carry a gun. The lawmakers put in place a law to prevent people from carrying their guns without a permit. I have to follow that law so for you , me , and all the others that follow the law it is a privilege.

That being said I also do not believe this law has changed the fact that many carry without a permit. I am just saying I want to make sure to follow the law so I will get my permit issued without issue so I can carry.

In the meantime, I have to wait!

Guest bkelm18

I think you would have to prove that your permit would have prevented the crime. Which I don't think you would be able to do especially considering the state considers the permit a privilege and not a right.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
I think you would have to prove that your permit would have prevented the crime. Which I don't think you would be able to do especially considering the state considers the permit a privilege and not a right.

I was just asking if there was a case out there. I agree that it would be almost impossible to prove that a permit would have prevented a crime in a court case. I was thinking that if there were cases like this, where someone had been attacked while waiting for the permit, perhaps these cases could be used in the legislature to affect changes in the law.

Yeah please don't get me wrong. I am not carrying until I get the permit.

One thing from the class (and my memory is fuzzy so bear with me), is that if you should and hurt/kill another person, the law doesn't really grant you permission to do so. Rather the law says it's assault/manslaughter/murder, with the EXCEPTION of cases where self-defense, etc. It then has the stipulations of when you can or cannot claim self-defense as an EXCEPTION from the law. I think you cannot claim self-defense if you use the weapon while committing a crime. So if you a breaking into someone's house, and they point a gun at you, you can't shoot them and then claim self-defense. On that same note, carrying without a permit is committing a crime, so you may have a hard time claiming self-defense if you have to use it while carrying illegally.