"Sunday drivers"

We haven't had a thread complaining about the way someone drives in a good week so I thought that I'd open a can of worms and raise TGO's cumulative blood pressure and give yall something to talk about. 

You know what grinds my gears?  "Sunday drivers," but you know, if they would stick to country roads and Sundays,and have a little courtesey it wouldn't be that bad.  It seems that everywhere I turn there is some old retired fart preaching about how how he doesn't need to be anywhere at any certain time, he never exceeds 35 MPH, and he shifts at 1800 RPM and is able to get 16 MPG in his '89 dodge Ram by doing so.  Here is a news bulletin, while the rest of the world thinks that it is great that you worked hard and are enjoying the fruits of your labor and are never in a hurry, we are still a part of the work force and we have to be places at a certain time or there are consequences.  Of course the old farts like to say "well you should have left earlier."  Well old fart, do you remember back when you were working 60+ hours per week at the office and still working on work after you got home?  Mix that in with maintaining a house, taking care of and playing with your kids, sports practices, helping with homework, cooking dinner, cleaning the kitchen and then maybe getting in bed by 11 pm, and if you are really lucky you get to sleep until maybe 5 am before you have to get up and rush to get to work on time?  

Maybe you do remember doing all of that and it gives you great pleasure to sit out on the highway and quickly pull out in front of me just as I hit the highway and get up to speed.  You must do this because you know that the next passing zone is 8 miles up the road and that you doing 30 in a 50 will make my head explode.  I hope one day to be able to take the time to putt down the road, I have nothing against slow drivers, it actually sounds relaxing.  I will always try to remember that some people do have places to be, since I will be in no hurry it will not be a problem to pull off the road for a second and let the working people on by.  After all you can't yell at people on welfare and then yell at me for supporting a family and trying to get to work on time, that would be hypocritical. 

leave five minutes earlier whipper-snapper ;)

I drive slow,  not 30 in a 50 but less than 60 on the interstate on my work commute and never over the speed limit on surface streets.  I used to haul ass.  I discovered taking my time gives me less stress and does not even cost five minutes on a 20 mile commute.

if it is me you are flipping off as you go by I will be the guy smiling and waving.

• Like 10

As soon as I find my miniature violin I'll get it out and play a tune for you...in the meantime...LEAVE EARLIER.

Seriously, people who don't follow the rules of the road (including those who pull out without ACD or who drive 10 or 20 miles under the speed limit) have a special place in hell reserved for them - I know that because Gary Larson put it in one of his cartoons; they were right next to the child molesters and murders.  :)

• Like 3
Ha, I had a good one in Kentucky the other day. Dude is traveling in the left lane at a couple miles below the speed limit, and I'm traveling in the right lane about 10 mph faster than him; there is no one on the highway at the time. Since he doesn't believe in traveling in the right lane I'm forced to pass on the right. When I get about 50 yards from him he speeds up, making this whole process take longer. As I get next to him he matches my speed. There is a semi I'm coming up on and am forced to slow down and get behind this moron to get around the semi in the right lane. As soon as I get over this guy drops his speed 10 miles an hour and now I'm stuck behind him. I would really like to know what goes through these people's minds when they do this.
  • Like 2

Ha, I had a good one in Kentucky the other day. Dude is traveling in the left lane at a couple miles below the speed limit, and I'm traveling in the right lane about 10 mph faster than him; there is no one on the highway at the time. Since he doesn't believe in traveling in the right lane I'm forced to pass on the right. When I get about 50 yards from him he speeds up, making this whole process take longer. As I get next to him he matches my speed. There is a semi I'm coming up on and am forced to slow down and get behind this moron to get around the semi in the right lane. As soon as I get over this guy drops his speed 10 miles an hour and now I'm stuck behind him. I would really like to know what goes through these people's minds when they do this.

There is nothing going through his mind. At all. Ever. He's the lowest kind of life form whose only purpose is to make other people miserable for his pleasure. 

Which is why I'm glad I drive a 1300cc motorcycle. In order for that to work on me he'd have to be driving a Corvette ZR-1 or faster car. Otherwise insufferable shit eating d-bag a-holes like that guy are going to see nothing but taillights. 

There is nothing going through his mind. At all. Ever. He's the lowest kind of life form whose only purpose is to make other people miserable for his pleasure. 

Which is why I'm glad I drive a 1300cc motorcycle. In order for that to work on me he'd have to be driving a Corvette ZR-1 or faster car. Otherwise insufferable #### eating d-bag a-holes like that guy are going to see nothing but taillights. 

Ha, I don't put up with that crap when I'm on my bikes, you either let me around you politely or you get to find out what 16,000 RPMs sounds like as it sucks the paint off of your ride. 

....   Well old fart, do you remember back when you were working 60+ hours per week at the office and still working on work after you got home?  Mix that in with maintaining a house, taking care of and playing with your kids, sports practices, helping with homework, cooking dinner, cleaning the kitchen and then maybe getting in bed by 11 pm, and if you are really lucky you get to sleep until maybe 5 am before you have to get up and rush to get to work on time?  

No, he doesn't remember doing any of that because he never did it.  Life was different for him 40 years ago.  He didn't work 60 hrs/wk at the office and he sure didn't work at home.  He maintained the house but the wife did all the cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the kids.  So neither does he understand nor does he care to understand. 

If life is that harried for you (and I'm right there with you), its time to evaluate your priorities and cut some unnecessary stuff out.  Its the only way to maintain your sanity. 

• Like 2

Those are the ones that make me think about vehicle mounted weaponry. I have several good designs in my head.

• Like 1

This is the thing that I hate most about driving; trying to pass someone and they seem to want to make me work for it.

Leave earlier or resign yourself to getting there late.

I drive five mile an hour under the speed limit everywhere I go.

It is less stressful. I don't have to worry about idiots that can't drive and hold up traffic if the are all in front of me.

Guest drv2fst

I used to drive really fast.  That's were I got my username.  Some of my fast cars are listed below.  I have raced motorcycles in one of those cars and even sport-bikes couldn't keep up.  I took most of these cars to the track frequently.  I am ashamed to admit that I very often drove like an idiot on public roads as well.  I have some great road racing stories but those are all fading memories now.  Several years ago, I flipped my last car several times.  I apparently got airborne at about 140 mph and lost control when I landed and my right rear wheel snapped into.  That ended my driving fast habit.  I'm cured (so far).

• 1992 Acura NSX
  • 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (upgraded to about 450hp)
  • 2001 Honda S2000 (not as fast but really fun)
  • 2008 Mitsubishi Evolution (upgraded to nearly 500 hp)
  • 1985 Porsche 911 Turbo (upgraded to about 600 hp)
  • 1994 Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 (one of about 350 ever in the US)
  • 2003 Honda S2000
  • 1992 Porsche 911 Turbo S2 (1 of only 20 ever in the US) This is the one I totaled.

Now I drive a Honda Ridgeline truck slowly and carefully often with my children in the back seat.  No more speed demons for me.

Guest drv2fst

I actually got pulled over once doing about 160 mph.  The officers (4 of them) were so shocked that I actually stopped, they didn't even give me a ticket.

Edited by drv2fst

I don't go under the speed limit, but I do like to leave a looong healty follow distance to the car in front of me.  It's saved me more than once.  People seem to not like it, so they pass me, pull up and then I back off again.  I really don't see how being 30 yards further up and going the exact same speed is better.

I watched one of those "I'm in a hurry" lane jumpers the other day.  He was whipping back and forth across 4 lanes of traffic, jumping ahead.  I watched him cross all the way back and forth 3 or 4 times.  He never got out of my visual range the entire commute, while I sat in the same lane, poking along at the speed limit with my long follow distance.  My conclusion: aggressive driving doesn't really gain you anything but an ulcer.

• Like 4
Guest MAWLJ45

Spend a day in Campbell County and you will never ever complain again about your roadways/drivers when you leave. They even advertise it here, passed an OLD OLD OLD FART the other day with bumper sticker "I'm retired, go around me". :rant:

Guest mattgawarecki

Because my daily commute takes me in and out of downtown Nashville, I feel like I deal with my share of "less than perfect" drivers. After living here for two years I've come to the conclusion that no matter what I do, they're always going to be there. While annoying in their own right, the slow ones don't scare me as much as the ones darting in and out of traffic and across lanes.

A couple of weeks ago on the way home I had a guy tailgating me on a Harley while I was going with the flow of traffic. He ended up passing me, then had the nerve to do a full brake-check. Maybe it's just me, but antagonizing a 2-ton road missile doesn't sound like the smartest decision if you're going 60-70 mph surrounded by nothing but air and asphalt. I've tried to drive safer since getting married, but my awareness has gone up *especially* after that incident. It's a hunch of mine that most of the wrecks that happen around Metro are because of people that are either in a hurry or that are blissfully unaware of the large chunks of steel rushing past them.

As Mike.357 said, losing even 10 mph on average for a 30 mile trip won't cost you more than a couple of minutes total. If every minute counts, you may want to examine your schedule to help ease that stress. As a parting note though, I will concur that those who want to make you "work" to pass them are incredibly aggravating.

Edited by mattgawarecki

You guys can preach all you want. I just don't like driving slow. Even if I'm not in a hurry. But I don't mind people that do. All I ask is that if you're going 5MPH below the speed limit, do it in the rightmost lane. Or at least not in the far left lane. Doing 5MPH below the posted limit in the far left lane just makes you a jerk. That is why we have multiple lanes. 

On back roads, there are usually chances to pass every now and then. Enjoy your drive. 

I usually drive the speed limit when possible on the interstates. Around Nashville where most of them are 4 lanes I'll drive in the 2nd lane thus not having to deal with entrance/exit ramp traffic. That gives plenty of room for you guys to get by who haven't figured out what so many have said in this thread. I will still get the occasional horn blow but I just smile and wave (whole hand not just 1 finger)! 

Hopefully you will all live to be Old Farts! It comes on you before you know it!

I admit, I will do this to you if you tailgate me.  I will move over if given a chance, but I take a special sort of pleasure in griefing the guy that is parked in my trunk.  Its really simple ... 1 car length for every 10 mph.  Get closer, and since I can't make you widen the gap, the only control I have is to slow down to match your distance to my bumper.  Get 1 car length back, you gonna be going 10 mph in a min.

• Like 1

[

I admit, I will do this to you if you tailgate me. I will move over if given a chance, but I take a special sort of pleasure in griefing the guy that is parked in my trunk. Its really simple ... 1 car length for every 10 mph. Get closer, and since I can't make you widen the gap, the only control I have is to slow down to match your distance to my bumper. Get 1 car length back, you gonna be going 10 mph in a min.

I don't tailgate. If you read the post you'll notice that this moron specifically targeted me because he is just a flaming douchebag with an inferiority complex so bad that he can't handle someone passing him. I hope he and people like him get a combination of eye herpes and super-AIDS. Edited by TMF
Guest nra37922

All

Oak Ridge National Labs used their supercomputer to conclusively prove that turning on your headlights and/or using your turn signals does decrease your gas mileage...  Read this in Hooters Quarterly..

Edited by nra37922

I the risk of offending some here, it's the 18 wheelers who are pissing me off more than other vehicles...I suppose it's because I expect people who drive for a living to be a bit safer and courteous.

I always stay right unless I'm ready to pass a slower vehicle and I travel at about 75 MPH unless I have reason to do otherwise..  I travel about 66 miles of I24 every day (round trip) and it never fails that I'll be gaining on a semi with both of us in the right lane...I change lanes to pass and the semi I'm gaining on will pull into the passing lane in front of me requiring me to hit my brakes hard just to keep from rear-ending the SOB. Then, he'll take 10 minutes to pass the semi in the right lane because the semi in the right lane is trying to maintain 62.1 MPH while the semi trying to pass him is trying to maintain 62.3 MPH.

One of these days I'm going to install some 007 s**t on my car to handle situations like this. ;)

My every day used to consist of driving 90-105 burnin up lanes, gas & tires. My last ticket in '07 was 91 in a 70. I had just slowed because I was lighting my cigarette with 1 hand & my other was holding my coffee. I reprioritized after that.

I haven't broke 80 in a year & a half. Last job had me driving 250 miles a day around mid tn. I've got stories for days on these morons but I drive at or 3mph over nowadays.

With my expensive radar detector I can't count the number of tickets I haven't gotten from ol hidey-in-the-bushes officers because I'm not speeding. And driving around in the middle of the night, you could almost think me a hippy from all the deer I've saved by not speeding.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2