Question about IPDA rigs.

Most people prefer to use standard OWB kydex holsters (CompTac, BladeTech, Blackhawk, etc. . .)  Although I do see many people running their IWB holsters.  Can't use an "open" style competition or race holster.  Has to be a holster you could use for everyday conceal carry.

Need 2~3 mags total.  Usually one double mag pouch will suffice.

Need a concealment garment; jacket, vest, overshirt, etc. . .

Gun style is just about anything, as long as it is not tricked out with high end optics, major modifications,e tc. . .9mm is the minimum caliber. 

Not sure where you are planning on shooting, but I think Cleveland Gun Club does IDPA and also ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportmans Assoc).  Check out this sticky for more details:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/48840-whenwhere-action-pistol-sports-3-gun-tennessee/

I can't expert you but the starting point is the current rule book, which will tell you what is allowed in a general sense, as a starting point, though its vague in a lot of places.  If you have read that already ...  someone else will have protips I am sure :)

Adding to the above, its not just something you can use daily, it also has to follow their excessive safety rules so no pocket holsters and a number of other rigs are banned, it HAS to be on a belt for example so no ankle/shoulder/back/etc jobs.    There are dozens of daily carry holsters that would not be considered safe enough for the sport. 

# mags is tied to capacity, but 2-3 for a standard 15 shot pistol is about right, 4 for a 1911 may be better.

9x19 caliber.  9mm is not sufficient (380 and 9x18 not allowed for example). 

lots of regs (again mostly safety)  like min trigger weight, etc.  So you can trick it out but only so far. 

Edited by Jonnin

I would add that each club you shoot with can add or take-away rules and requirements (although from my experience you probably won't find any that will relax anything to do with safety). Especially if its going to be more of a fun shooting event, as opposed to a competition. Best thing to do is go, watch and ask questions (I will say that you should take your mags, bullets, holster and weapon because chances are they will let you shoot! First time I went a guy offered to loan me a gun and holster to use).

You need a gun, ammo and 3 mags, holster and mag pouches.........tell them your new and everything else will work itself out. Just make sure your holster is safe to draw/reholster and you don't have to use 2 hands to reholster or sweep yourself.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I appreciate all the info. I think I will go and watch a match or two. I've watched some YouTube videos and it sure looks like a lot of fun.

Yeah, I wasn't joking - if you enjoy shooting you will be kicking yourself if you don't shoot the first time you go!

• Like 3

I love shooting, but pistols are my favorite.  I have a Glock 34 I like really well and plenty of 17 round mags and just bought a CZ 75 B in 40 S&W with 12 round mags.  I don't have a holster for either yet, but will soon fix that.  I'm really partial to the blackhawks, but like other brands as well.  I'll be checking those out this week. Are paddle holsters legal or do they have to be on a belt?  I've got plenty of ammo and pistols...just got to fine tune and jump in.  LOL

All good advice. Another suggestion but not absolutely necessary. Electronic hearing protection is a benefit to hear what's going and range commands. That's about the only time I wear electronic muffs. Another item I use for IDPA is a set of Perry suspenders. Keeps the shirt tucked in, the load comfortably distributed and never need to fidget with my gear.

Like stated above, show up to shoot, not watch!

• Like 1
After researching, I'm going with the Fobus Evolution. they are available for both the Glock 34 and the CZ. I can get them at Academy for about $25 each. having the same holster design for both I think will work out well as far as continuity.

After researching, I'm going with the Fobus Evolution. they are available for both the Glock 34 and the CZ. I can get them at Academy for about $25 each. having the same holster design for both I think will work out well as far as continuity.

I tried a Galco paddle first and hated it for IDPA. The Fobus belt holster worked well for a long time, but once I tried a Safariland, I was hooked.

A couple of other things: mags can only be loaded to 10 rounds and you cannot have more than 2 mags on your belt, IIRC. Good rule of thumb: equipment must be designed for concealment, not for quick draw/USPSA.

Edited by BigK

is your Safariland a belt holster, or a paddle?

It's a belt holster. I like them much more.

Check out their models 5187 and 5197. They are rock solid and IDPA legal.

Edited by BigK

All good advice. Another suggestion but not absolutely necessary. Electronic hearing protection is a benefit to hear what's going and range commands. That's about the only time I wear electronic muffs. Another item I use for IDPA is a set of Perry suspenders. Keeps the shirt tucked in, the load comfortably distributed and never need to fidget with my gear.

Like stated above, show up to shoot, not watch!

I's shoot da Fo-Tee Gat so I's just stuffs it in my drawers wit dem a saggin         hey it be my "realz world" carry YO!   (translation - my jeans sag cuz I'm fat and I need a pair too)