George Jones dead at 81

Volzfan

Saw him March 22 in Chattanooga. Lucked up with Row 6 Middle Orchestra Pit two hours before the show.

The scheduled Nashville show in November with all the guest stars would have been awesome. Hate to see he didn't make it that long.
I received his book " I lived to tell it all" back in 97 for a birthday present and shortly after I was working as a stage hand in Nashville., had the opportunity to meet him and he signed my book with a Happy Birthday as we talked for a good while. A very great, down to earth, approachable and humble man and will be truly missed.
A man amongst men
R.I.P. Mr. Jones

No Show Jones...

Good thinking there.

I'd say Ol' George would appreciate the irony.

Grew up with country music with all the oldsters in my family. And like most of us young upstarts, rebelled against it and went to pop and R&R. But came back home to country in the late  80's.

My Dad always hated the "noise" I listened to. Said the only stuff he could stand was some of the very early rock from the 50's. If it wasn't country, it just wasn't cool.

One of my memories of dad's last years was of us riding in my car and he told me I didn't have to have the country radio playing just for him. He couldn't believe when I told him that's where it usually stayed. Seemed to meet his approval, he didn't say much about it. Just grinned a little.

And yes, he was a big fan of Ole' George. He and Mom actually got to meet and talk with the Possum one night backstage at the Old Ryman. They used to go pretty often with a friend of his who played almost every weekend show with the stage band. But of course I was too young and too cool to go to the Grand Ole Opry. What a dumbass I was then.

Anyway, we will all miss one of the greatest of the last 50+ years in music. 

Edited by hipower