What to look for when buying a used AK-47

ncldwell

What should someone look for when making a purchase decision?  If firing isn't an option at the point of sale, what are the steps for a proper function check?  Is there an easy way to confirm where it was manufactured?  Any brands to be avoided?  Any tips to be aware of or any warning signs to look for with the rifle?  Has anyone been burned with a purchase that could share some lessons learned?

Pay very close attention to the front sight block and how it lines up with the rest of the rifle.  A lot of them, especially from Centurty Arms, are canted.  It can be fixed and is usually more of an annoyance than anything, but it's nice to not have the front sight posted adjusted all the way over for the thing to shoot straight.

I would also advise doing some reasearh on values.  Do not pay $1000 for a $500 WASR/10.  A lot of people are taking advantage of the latest panic to jack up AK prices to ridiculous levels.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
Look for Century Arms. If they built it....leave it.

Backwater cess pools and third world countries have all built AKs that work just fine. Century Arms seems to be about the only one who can screw up building an AK on a regular basis.
  • Like 2

Look for Century Arms. If they built it....leave it.

Backwater cess pools and third world countries have all built AKs that work just fine. Century Arms seems to be about the only one who can screw up building an AK on a regular basis.

I keep reading this over and over on the internet, and frankly don't understand it. I have a Century Arms WASR, and it is quite accurate, and works flawlessly.The trigger in it is miles ahead of any AR I've seen. As I have yet to see ANY AK with the fit and finish of a pre64 Winchester, I would like to hear an explanation as to why these are so bad.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I keep reading this over and over on the internet, and frankly don't understand it. I have a Century Arms WASR, and it is quite accurate, and works flawlessly.The trigger in it is miles ahead of any AR I've seen. As I have yet to see ANY AK with the fit and finish of a pre64 Winchester, I would like to hear an explanation as to why these are so bad.

Some CAI's look like a monkey with a welder got hold of it. However people like to complain when cheap #### actually works and beats their 1.5K AK.

• Like 2

Some CAI's look like a monkey with a welder got hold of it. However people like to complain when cheap #### actually works and beats their 1.5K AK.

It is a cheaply built firearm, but I thought that was the whole point of the AK. So I don't have to worry about it coming apart or anything?

It is a cheaply built firearm, but I thought that was the whole point of the AK. So I don't have to worry about it coming apart or anything?

If a guy can build one out of a shovel in his garage and put a tactical leather belt sling on it I don't think I would worry too much. However I've only owned a Saiga so I'm far, far from an authority on AK rifles.

• Like 1
After a CETME, a Galil, and a couple AKs I just gave up on Century.
The Galil had over .010 too much headspace.

It's not a matter of fit and finish. It's a matter of out of spec parts and assembly. They really are the retards of the gun world.
Are ALL of their guns junk....no, of course not. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
  • Like 1

I keep hearing this, but I must be the lucky one.  I've owned two Century AK's (a WASR and now a SAR-1, the WASR's predecessor).  Both were accurate and reliable.

Guess I got lucky too. As much as I like shooting the WASR, I probably couldn't handle an original Norinco!

The WASR 10/63's came into the country as single stack guns during the AWB. After the AWB was lifted they would open up the magwell to accept standard magazines. Problem was they were probably done by hand so some have very, very loose fitting magazines. This can case all kinds of malfunctions. So if you are looking at ANY 10/63 make sure to check magazine fit and if it has a wobble walk away.

The canted sight problem is common place with Century guns. It is fixable but it does take money so take that into account if you are thinking of buying one with a canted front sight.

Century specific guns, any of them, have had various issues over the years. So if it is a Century scrutinize it very closely. As a matter of fact if I could not meet at the range and shoot a Century gun I would pass on it. I have seen more with issues than those without.

• Like 1
Has anyone heard of Inter Ordnance (also known as IO) out of NC? They manufacture AKs and provide a lifetime warranty...been in business 15 years. Anyone have any feedback on them and their rifles? Edited by ncldwell
  • Like 1

Canted sights is the most common problem with AKs, have heard Arsenal even sends them out with canted sights. My Saiga's front sight is canted a little, not enough for me to worry about but it is canted.

The magazine is going to wobble side to side a little, just make sure it is not excessive. Wobble front to rear should be 0.

Some AK74s were built with 5.56 barrels instead of 5.45 barrels. I believe this was mostly, or all, a century issue.

Century has a 1 year warranty, but it doesnt start at consumer purchase it starts either the day it was built or the day it leaves Century.

Have heard IO is on par with Century, but I have never owned either so I have no personal experience.

Saigas are good but require a little work to convert.

Polytechs are good but expensive, Mak90s and Egyptian Maadis are good but require parts to convert. They are easier to convert than a Saiga.

Waffen Works makes a good AK but they only make AK74s, they havent got into the AK47 yet.

You cant hardly go wrong with a Chinese AK.. . post ban mak 90 do have some stock limitations due to the thicker receivers. . . yes Polytechs are expensive but in my opinion worth the money. . .buy once cry once. . .Egyptian Maadis are a very good variant all except the MISR series. . . those are egyptian receivers built with chinese parts kits which are not easily compatible so at very best fit and finish will be aweful even if functional. . .a Romanian SAR 1 should be good to go. . as well as an Arsenal. I know alot of people have good luck with century built WASR's but I would not buy one without intense inspection and make sure trying different types of mags for lock up and wobble and of course canted sights. .But as far as best bang for your buck cant go wrong with a MAK 90. . . The Chinese designed AK's in 7.62x39 are reffered to as Type 56 guns and if you take the dust cover off and look at the guts of a Type 56 and any of their european cousins you will see the difference. . .

So to sum it up. . .if I was looking for best quality/value on a first AK and I knew I was going to be happy with a traditional style AK with a wood stock I would get a MAK 90. If I thought I might want to "play" with it and maybe try a sidefolding stock or what have you I would try to find an Egyptian Maadi ARM model imported by Intraac of Knoxville. . .these are good to go and the muzze threads are intact and covered by a tackwelded muzzle nut. . .

Edited by turkeydad
  • Like 1

Pretty sure a lot of the century stuff in the past was farmed out to other builders as well.  Some of which were great and some less than stellar.  Another thing to check for on Ak's is the cycling of the action.  Should be smooth and not tight or binding when hand cycling.  If you are purchasing one that is used you might want to check for chrome lining on the barrel just in case the previous owner wasn't too diligent about cleaning after he shot a bunch of corrosive ammo out of it.

I have a SAR-3 from Century and it has always functioned flawlessly with reasonable accuracy. I haven't fired it at anything past 100m so I can't speak for its ability to use as a sniper rifle, but I'll go ahead and assume it isn't a match quality gun, and I'm totally okay with that.

As for a recent Century AK I've molested, their Yugo AK pistol is very, very nice. I was impressed after shooting it and learning it was from CAI. I was going to buy one but went in another direction after a different brand.

Has anyone heard of Inter Ordnance (also known as IO) out of NC? They manufacture AKs and provide a lifetime warranty...been in business 15 years. Anyone have any feedback on them and their rifles?

I used to have an IO, it's quality isn't quite Arsenal but it kicks the CRAP outta Century.

Has anyone heard of Inter Ordnance (also known as IO) out of NC? They manufacture AKs and provide a lifetime warranty...been in business 15 years. Anyone have any feedback on them and their rifles?

I have an IO that I recently purchased. There's a lot of bad stuff online regarding them. Mine functions fine with all the crap ammo brands and mags, plus looks pretty good. I may have gotten lucky. From what I've read about them they are a pain to deal with if you get a lemon. I figured worse case when I bought mine would be waiting a couple of months for a refund. I've seen posts about them dragging their feet, but I haven't seen anything saying they refused a refund.

I  have a 1960 Polish milled receiver AK47 from CIA that is one fine gun. But I have heard that CIA did not do the build on these, just the import.

Just luck of the draw I guess.

Edited by crossfire
Let's be honest - these are guns that by design allow for a lot of slop in their operating tolerances. About the only things that can go wrong from a builder and the
Reasons are listed below:

Canted sights due to poor attention paid during the build. Easy to spot.

Bad headspacing - again a build issue

Poor finish work (paint, guncote etc). Easy to spot

Wobbly mag (using low quality receiver). Easy to spot

Rough racking (poor quality receiver, poor rail installation, no lubrication). Easy to spot

Other than these things I can't think of anything that could actually go wrong with an ak after buying it that would necessitate a warranty of any kind. Their internals are built solidly and replacement parts are easily and cheaply obtainable should some bizarre accident befall your gun.