Coach Side-by-Side 12ga Shotgun

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Has anyone seen any used Coach Side-by-Side 12ga Shotgun with external hammers?

I wasn't wanting to get a junk Chinese or expensive Whirlybird

I know they ain't much use besides having fun with but I've been looking for something along the lines of a $400 Baikal MP 220F. They're supposed to have screw in chokes. Thanks

aD7K_4698.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COOL  but, when they are old like that how do you know if you can use modern ammo?

That particular gun is damascas steel, which means absolutley NO modern ammo.  (I wouldn't shoot it at all, but light blackpowder loads would probably be safe).

As stated earlier, the Stoeger guns (Turkish) are probably going to be your best bet. 

Edited by dcloudy777

See if you can find a Rossi Overland.

It would be the last gun I ever parted with.

My family has been using a 20" SxS for as long as I can remember for HD. It was the first shotgun I ever shot. And probably the gun I own that I have shot and carried the most. It is like an old friend.

It has the external hammers and double triggers, and is built like a tank. They are very popular, and those that have them don't like to come up off of them, but if yo ucan find one, I honestly don't think you could do better.

Mine was imported in the early 70's best I can tell. 

See if you can find a Rossi Overland.

It would be the last gun I ever parted with.

My family has been using a 20" SxS for as long as I can remember for HD. It was the first shotgun I ever shot. And probably the gun I own that I have shot and carried the most. It is like an old friend.

It has the external hammers and double triggers, and is built like a tank. They are very popular, and those that have them don't like to come up off of them, but if yo ucan find one, I honestly don't think you could do better.

Mine was imported in the early 70's best I can tell. 

this!!! I have one of these and it is an awesome package.  

Do not shoot wire-wound antiques unless you get the barrel checked out by a pro or replaced.  They are wallhangers.  

Guest Sgt. Joe

I wouldnt mind having something like that myself. I really enjoy my Mossberg Over/Under 20Ga.

It may only be 2 shots of 20Ga but it is a lot of fun to shoot even without the hammers.

That coach gun looks like it would be a blast to play with.

I to have wanted a double barrel, but it just holds 2 rounds, I guess I spoiled by my Saiga 12.

I keep going back and forth on wanting a coach gun because of the 'just two rounds' thing.  I already have an HD shotgun so it would be mostly just for fun but I could build a short barreled, pistol gripped pump shotgun that would be just as fun without spending as much money and the pump would hold more ammo in case I needed it for a 'serious' purpose.

I have one double (won't cut it down, etc. because it belonged to my grandfather) and, honestly, I think I can achieve a faster rate of fire with a single barrel as the singles eject spent shells while the doubles just extract.  The singles are lighter and kind of handier, too.

All that said, there are still few guns that look more badass, in my mind, than a short-barreled SXS double, especially one with exposed hammers.  Besides, how many things are you likely to encounter on a daily basis that would still be a threat after taking two rounds of 00 Buckshot?

Rossis are pretty sweet. Daring your friend to pull both triggers on two barrels of high brass 3" magnum shells, priceless.

I'll go you one better.  My BIL has an over/under 10 gauge and I have pulled both triggers on 3.5 inch 'goose' loads.  Now THAT will get your attention.

Actually, I think it helped me.  I had a trapped nerve or something - had been experiencing pain/stiffness/soreness between my shoulders for a few days and one arm/hand would periodically go numb.  Touched off both those 10 gauge barrels at once, my shoulder blade popped and the numbness immediately started going out of my hand.  Within five minutes or so, all stiffness, soreness and numbness were gone.  Of course, by that point I was kind of wishing for a little of that numbness to stick around and move to the front of my shoulder.  It wasn't too bad, though - the worst part was that, under recoil, the back of the front trigger sliced the finger that was on the second trigger.  To be truthful, I have an old Stevens 94C single shot 20 gauge that, without a buttpad, hurts worse than that ten gauge.

I keep going back and forth on wanting a coach gun because of the 'just two rounds' thing.  I already have an HD shotgun so it would be mostly just for fun but I could build a short barreled, pistol gripped pump shotgun that would be just as fun without spending as much money and the pump would hold more ammo in case I needed it for a 'serious' purpose.

I have one double (won't cut it down, etc. because it belonged to my grandfather) and, honestly, I think I can achieve a faster rate of fire with a single barrel as the singles eject spent shells while the doubles just extract.  The singles are lighter and kind of handier, too.

All that said, there are still few guns that look more badass, in my mind, than a short-barreled SXS double, especially one with exposed hammers.  Besides, how many things are you likely to encounter on a daily basis that would still be a threat after taking two rounds of 00 Buckshot?

Depending on how short you go with a pump you won't hold that many more rounds. I think the Serbu only holds two?

I am biased, so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally think I can touch off and reload the SxS faster than I could touch off and reload two in a pump. It is an accepted fact that a double trigger will always allow you to get your second shot off faster than any other action. Of course, you have to get back on target.

I'll go you one better.  My BIL has an over/under 10 gauge and I have pulled both triggers on 3.5 inch 'goose' loads.  Now THAT will get your attention.

Actually, I think it helped me.  I had a trapped nerve or something - had been experiencing pain/stiffness/soreness between my shoulders for a few days and one arm/hand would periodically go numb.  Touched off both those 10 gauge barrels at once, my shoulder blade popped and the numbness immediately started going out of my hand.  Within five minutes or so, all stiffness, soreness and numbness were gone.  Of course, by that point I was kind of wishing for a little of that numbness to stick around and move to the front of my shoulder.  It wasn't too bad, though - the worst part was that, under recoil, the back of the front trigger sliced the finger that was on the second trigger.  To be truthful, I have an old Stevens 94C single shot 20 gauge that, without a buttpad, hurts worse than that ten gauge.

Several years ago I had to deal with a predator at my property in Monroe county. Had a very antisocial and wounded dog come up and start eating my mother's chickens. Her dogs were all small and the final straw was somewhere around twenty stitches for her older chihuahua. I took two rounds of 00 and the dog and I had a rather short chat about apex predators and why humans are at the top. Pumps and semiautos are nice, they have a little added weight, the semiauto eats up a fair amount of recoil, and even the pumps have rubber pads built in.

A coach gun doesn't have any of that.

All the force of those barrels goes right back into your shoulder. And rib cage.

There is nothing I own that is nastier at full tilt boogie than that damn coach gun. But it is downright friendly with some low brass birdshot. 

Depending on how short you go with a pump you won't hold that many more rounds. I think the Serbu only holds two?

I am biased, so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally think I can touch off and reload the SxS faster than I could touch off and reload two in a pump. It is an accepted fact that a double trigger will always allow you to get your second shot off faster than any other action. Of course, you have to get back on target.

Several years ago I had to deal with a predator at my property in Monroe county. Had a very antisocial and wounded dog come up and start eating my mother's chickens. Her dogs were all small and the final straw was somewhere around twenty stitches for her older chihuahua. I took two rounds of 00 and the dog and I had a rather short chat about apex predators and why humans are at the top. Pumps and semiautos are nice, they have a little added weight, the semiauto eats up a fair amount of recoil, and even the pumps have rubber pads built in.

A coach gun doesn't have any of that.

All the force of those barrels goes right back into your shoulder. And rib cage.

There is nothing I own that is nastier at full tilt boogie than that damn coach gun. But it is downright friendly with some low brass birdshot. 

You are correct about 'depending on how short you go.'  I wasn't thinking about anything short enough to require any 'additional government oversight', though.  Just a pistol-gripped pump with a barrel long enough to meet (at least) the 18.5 inch barrel/26 inch OAL requirement.  A coach gun would still have a much greater 'cool' factor but the pump - especially if I started with a used Mossberg, etc. - would likely be a good bit cheaper to build than trying to buy a coach gun.

Edited by JAB