I thought these were illegal?

I just saw this on the cabellas website.  I thought any holster that would allow a pistol to be shot in place was illegal.  Apparently it's not.

[url=http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Randallg53/media/pocketshotholster.jpg.html]pocketshotholster.jpg[/URL]

The confusion comes from certain holsters that cause a pistol to be classified as a AOW.  those particular holsters hide the fact that it is a gun and also allow you to action the trigger.  think briefcase gun or the like.  In this particular instance the holster does not disguise the firearm and therefore is perfectly legal.   The practical application of these is that they supposedly assist in helping to maintain the weapons orientation in your pocket while allowing you to fire from the pocket if necessary without having to "draw" the weapon.  Not really my cup of tea but they do fit a certain nich and are no more dangerous than pocket carrying a small DAO pistol without a holster.

• Like 1

for a pistol with a long trigger pull, I see no danger.  I have never understood how anyone can pull a 10 pound ish trigger a full inch or more "by accident".   Try it on an unloaded gun of this type .... you cant do it.  you can lift the firearm by its trigger, no bang.  The gun has to be immobile or it will move (entire gun) under the force.  Once it is immobile (not easily done even in a pocket), you have to stick something in the trigger guard at a precise angle and apply a ton of force (angle is difficult to get in a pocket).  How could one not notice this happening???   Its not dangerous.  Yes, someone could probably find a way to fire the gun by "accident" anyway -- but you can do that even if the gun is sealed in a steel box, given the self destructive nature of some people.  

• Like 1

for a pistol with a long trigger pull, I see no danger.  I have never understood how anyone can pull a 10 pound ish trigger a full inch or more "by accident".   Try it on an unloaded gun of this type .... you cant do it.  you can lift the firearm by its trigger, no bang.  The gun has to be immobile or it will move (entire gun) under the force.  Once it is immobile (not easily done even in a pocket), you have to stick something in the trigger guard at a precise angle and apply a ton of force (angle is difficult to get in a pocket).  How could one not notice this happening???   Its not dangerous.  Yes, someone could probably find a way to fire the gun by "accident" anyway -- but you can do that even if the gun is sealed in a steel box, given the self destructive nature of some people.

I didn't believe this but I tried it on my wife's LCP and it has a mile long trigger pull. Don't care for the holster, I like to have a proper grip, but it's safe enough.

I don't need one or want one really.  I just stumbled on it in my daily search for some 22LR to sell at the gun shows for $75 a brick..... :hiding: JUST KIDDING....LOL...

Here is the best back pocket holster money can buy IMO.....the back flap flexes back when you reach in to get the pistol out and it has a thump push to help....the pistol just slides into you hand yet is help firm.

[URL=http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/Randallg53/media/20bc4a83-e23b-4e96-ac31-70d58b1aa1e9.jpg.html]20bc4a83-e23b-4e96-ac31-70d58b1aa1e9.jpg[/URL]

In regards to shooting through a pocket make sure that you are carrying ammo that the fibers from your clothes will not clog up the hollow point and cause the bullet not to expand.  I have a friend that does a lot of ballistics testing and I've seen certain bullet designs get clogged up by shooting them through something as simple as a beach towel.  Of course this should be a concern with all defensive ammo but when you are knowingly planning on possible putting that bullet through another layer it may be something to take into consideration.

I've got one of these and carry if often and have practiced drawing and shooting with the gun as shown. Not the greatest, but it does what is intended which is to make the gun ride property and in disguise in the hip pocket. I wish they had made some way to better anchor the gun to the holster as it is now it just sort of sits in there.

There was  holster back in the 70s-80s for the old High Standard .22mag derringer that basically folded over the gun and snapped and had just a hole for your finger to reach the trigger. Everybody was good with it for years and the holster alone accounted for a lot of the gun's sales. It was just a neat outfit. Several years ago they re-classified the holster as AOW and that pretty much killed the whole thing.The gun was not visible at all in the holster.

Guest carter

I mailed buds gun shop about these, they stated they aren't because the slide is exposed... on the previous NFA holsters the slide is concealed in the holster... yet another stupid ruling and law

I personally believe that these wallet holsters are illegal and thought so when I seen them in a flyer a few months back.

The basic rule is if a gun doesn't look like a gun then it is a AOW. Like those briefcase guns are AOWs and pen guns are also AOWs now. I would really like to make a threaded pen gun for my suppressor but not going to spend $200 on what would amount to a useless toy.

From the ATF website in the link above...these are in the AOW category:

If you link the site and scroll down enough there is an explanation...but my limited cyberskills prevent me from being to link it directly...sorry.

[URL=http://s783.photobucket.com/user/Prag03/media/Handguns/wallet-holster-2.jpg.html]wallet-holster-2.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s783.photobucket.com/user/Prag03/media/Handguns/wallet-holster.jpg.html]wallet-holster.jpg[/URL]

Guest carter

but as 

From the ATF website in the link above...these are in the AOW category:

If you link the site and scroll down enough there is an explanation...but my limited cyberskills prevent me from being to link it directly...sorry.

wallet-holster-2.jpg

wallet-holster.jpg

but as you can see the entire firearm is covered... again this is from Buds sales staff... not ATF... but the slide on the OP's is clearly visible... i think this slight difference makes them legal :shrug:  

Edited by carter

My understanding was because the slide was not covered , it was legal. I think when it covers the top of the firearm , like on the revolvers , that is when they call them AOW's . It does break up the lines of the gun and makes it look like a wallet when in a pocket. I carried one just like it for years with a 380 . Like so many of the ATF laws , there is a fine line between legal and not. So many gun laws are stupid just add this one to the list.