Changed the mainspring housing on my Kimber Raptor

As many 1911 owners know, many 1911 manufacturers today, including Kimber, use a plastic mainspring housing.  Also like many 1911 owners, I question the durability of such a vital part and think the plastic looks like crap.  After picking up this Kimber Pro Raptor II recently, I decided to upgrade the plastic part with a quality matching stainless part.  Here are the results.

This is the before photo:

P1010946_zpse80efdcd.jpg

The Raptor pistol has a pretty unique texture on the slide and frame.  I found this part made by Ed Browne and thought the "chainlink" texture was a good compliment for the pistol:

P1010944_zps5b6897a1.jpg

Installation was pretty straight forward and took me less than an hour with no fitting required.  Here are the results.  Personally, I think the part looks excellent and almost perfectly matches the texture on the remainder of the pistol.  The texture of the housing definitely gives you good grip without being to aggressive.

P1010949_zpsb9cfaa82.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That do look sharp! But I am a bit confused, the original part is plastic??? That looks like metal and looks good, also.

Yep, lots are using plastic. Unless you drop it square on the housing the plastic ones function perfect and look fine.

With that said I would still swap it for a metal one. To me it's not worth the weight/cost savings to keep the plastic one.

When you see it in person, it's obvious it's a plastic part and it drove me crazy.  You can sort of tell when you look at the before and after pictures.  The plastic one was a darker gray and didn't have the metallic sheen of the stainless steel part.  

So far, I have read that Kimber, Springfield, Colt, and even some of the other high-end 1911 pistols are now coming with a plastic housing.  The ones I've read about breaking were usually dropped, but a couple were chipped around where the grip safety meets the mainspring housing.  I am quite pleased with the change for $40 and about 45 minutes of work (most of that trying to get the darn mainspring installed in the new housing.  Now I have no worries about breaking it!  :up:

It looks great

I am also making a few changes to my Sig Tacops. I am adding wood grips, stainless steel bushing, stainless steel recoil spring plunger, stainless steel slide stop and 17 pound recoil spring
I may or may not change the black safety to SS.
Guest 6.8 AR

My Rock and the Springfield had metal ones, but I did the same as you, ET. That looks good. I guess Kimber

and a few others are using the polymer ones to lighten them up some. That's news to me, too.

My Rock and the Springfield had metal ones, but I did the same as you, ET. That looks good. I guess Kimber

and a few others are using the polymer ones to lighten them up some. That's news to me, too.

My Springfield mil-spec has a metal one as well.  I had no idea, but when I did some research on it, it seems more and more are using this approach.  I would venture a guess that it's cost savings for the manufacturer as much as it is weight reduction.  If I am correct, that is annoying because I think most people expect to get a steel mainspring housing on their pistol at that price point.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grout

Colt was the first to start putting plastic mainspring housings on 1911's.They started doing it with the 1991A1 models