Purty Guns - and A Question

How you like these? One is my Model 18 3" .22 Long Rifle; a GREAT plinker.

The other is a Model 38 Airweight Bodyguard. This is a pre-'98 model and will not shoot .38+P ammo. I would like to start carrying this gun some because it is perfect pocket size. Since I cannot put +P in it, what is the most effective ammo I should shoot?

18and38001.jpg

Edited by Luckyforward
Better wording
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

undercover.jpg

Lucky, I have similar situation:

That's an old 1960's Charter Arms Undercover. Shoots well. Though I'm planning to carry Kahr PM9 predominately, thinking I might carry this instead some. I've run a couple chambers of +p through it, but no way it's "rated" for it. Some folks I'm sure would say to just carry +p in it but practice with standard .38, but I wouldn't want to take the chance that the one time I needed it for my life it might blow something loose.

Those are just lead round nose in the pic, and I'm sure they'd do the job, and not being FMJ, would probably not pass all the way through, but...

Anyway, I can't find ANY non +p hollowpoint of any kind in Knoxville for it, so think I'll order some, probably from CheaperThanDirt, since I want a few other items they have.

Federal makes HydroShok 110 grain JHP:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/68253-5.html

Hornady makes several variants, including a 158 grain JHP:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/87386-5.html

I like the idea of 158 grain, but these are all "XTP". Is that a higher pressure load, like +p? It only says 850 fps, though and the Hydroshok claims more than that. Anyone know?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest nj.piney

wallmart has 100 round value packs of remington 125 gr +p hp ammo. i shoot 50 rds of it every month in a 1975 s&w model 36 revolver 3 inch barrel. no problems for the last 19 years. the gun is still tight and reliable. maryville walmart. edited to include +p

Edited by nj.piney
wallmart has 100 round value packs of remington 125 gr hp ammo. i shoot 50 rds of it every month in a 1975 s&w model 36 revolver 3 inch barrel. no problems for the last 19 years. the gun is still tight and reliable. maryville walmart.

Huh? Knoxville Wally World sure doesn't have that, only FMJ.

I can't find a hollowpoint non +p on Remington's product site at all in UMC or Express.

Only 100 round .38 they list is indeed a 125 gr SJHP, but it is +p

You have any in box? What's the product number or whatever?

Thanks in advance

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Hornady makes several variants, including a 158 grain JHP:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/87386-5.html

I like the idea of 158 grain, but these are all "XTP". Is that a higher pressure load, like +p? It only says 850 fps, though and the Hydroshok claims more than that. Anyone know?

- OS

Think I've answered my own question.

XTP seems to be all about Hornady bullet construction, not about powder load, these might be what I order.

- OS

Guest nj.piney
Huh? Knoxville Wally World sure doesn't have that, only FMJ.

I can't find a hollowpoint non +p on Remington's product site at all in UMC or Express.

Only 100 round .38 they list is indeed a 125 gr SJHP, but it is +p

You have any in box? What's the product number or whatever?

Thanks in advance

- OS

got the box in my hand. remington umc 38 special +p 125 gr semi jktd hp we have two walmarts in maryville,the west maryville store has it, the east maryville store does not. l38s2b sorry ,it is +p

Thus, the question is whether there is a JHP produced by anyone that is not +P . . .

Lucky, I've done some more onlining re the Hornady.

Even sat through their online video, which is actually pretty good.

It really looks like an all around good choice for .38 hollow point defense round to me.

- OS

ammunition to go has speer gold dot 125 gr hp for $23.95 per box of 50 says unicore bonded ?

Checked out CCI/Speer. Unless I'm missing something, those are +p. Or a discontinued line.

Interestingly (or not), Speer-Hornady started out as the same company.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest janwbrown616

Not sure how much it holds up now but at one time the best round for an older 38 snobby was either the round nose lead or the 158 grainr soft lead hollow points.

I laughted when I was told this by an FBI Firearms expert, but low and behold the soft nose lead bullets shot better and were easier to control.

With the barrel being so short and the Muzzle velocity so low, some hollow points might not expand properly. But, with the soft nose lead 38 rounds available, when you hit someone with it, it does a nice bit of damage.

I use the +P in my SW Model 60, but I DO still like the soft nose lead bullets in a 2" weapon.

AT one time I had some 158 Grain soft lead hollowpoints, that were great! I have not seen any of those in a while....

Not sure how much it holds up now but at one time the best round for an older 38 snobby was either the round nose lead....

Well, most opinions that I find state it is actually about the worst!

Will kill, but not stop.

No expansion.

Bad ricochets.

Etc.

- OS

I carry Federal Nyclad 125 gr LHP standard pressure in my Colt Agent. The fella I bought it from was a retired postal inspector and it was his BUG. He highly recommended them and after shooting them through this particular pistol I can understand why! :tinfoil:

I also understand you can't get them anymore. However I checked out Midway's online inventory and they have several standard pressure .38 loads to choose from. I may try to get some Federal Hydra-shok 110 JHPs. These are designed for low recoil out of a 2" snub, but also generate 1000FPS. :mad:

Guest janwbrown616
Well, most opinions that I find state it is actually about the worst!

Will kill, but not stop.

No expansion.

Bad ricochets.

Etc.

- OS

If you can find the 158 soft lead hp, you'll see they work pretty good in the 2". They penetrate but do not leave the body. Therefore, the energy is all expanded inside the target. "Kill but not stop"?? Hmmm,