okay new shooters, school me

i just ain't that smart. can not spell most of the time, piss poor grammer even though i have a A.O.S. and B.A. some docs says a little to much head tramia

i trying to understand the idpa training thread. i mean i think i get the idea.

know this that each and every club idpa, uspsa, hi power etc will do its best to help you. without  you the clubs would fail. there are still clubs here that have not raise the cost to shoot in about 15 years. like 10 for non members and 5 for ladies and minors. different clubs can teach you different things.

i have never been a good pistol shooter not sure if i still can.

know that there is a lot advise and some bad as well. also someone with a different idea

but is this some stuffyou the new shooter is looking for. most of this is done at home.

1 when you first grab your pistol is your hand as far forward as possible on the dove tail

2 looking in a mirror slowly draw your gun, does only the gun raise up? if the holster rides up something needs to fixed.

3 now that you have double checked unloaded and empty. looking at a point or object draw the pistol, were is the front sight? i bet it not on the object

4 reloads bring the gun up in front of your eyes to do this, so your eyes are still down range.

5 move forward and backwards is the front sight moving, bend the knees and roll the feet

6 stick with one model gun at first, learn the feel of the trigger reset, once that is reached stop moving your finger forward and shoot.

is this the kind of stuff you are looking for? if it is there plenty of these little things that can be added

remember that those fast guys are not shooting factory stock guns and are shooting light loads THIS DOES MAKE A DIFFERENTANCE. the guy who thinks his glock is bad azz because he put in a 3.5 disconecter is mistaking. now with that said there great shooters who can do well with a factory gun

always be safe and have fun and know this! slow is fast and fast is slow

IDPA does not allow light loads.  You have to make a specific momentum with your ammo that is on par with standard pressure factory ammo, if you are under I think you will be disqualified.   Light target loads are used in target shooting competition, but not action shooting sports.   Also many heavy steel targets are used that light loads may not be able to knock over.

IDPA does not allow light loads.  You have to make a specific momentum with your ammo that is on par with standard pressure factory ammo, if you are under I think you will be disqualified.   Light target loads are used in target shooting competition, but not action shooting sports.   Also many heavy steel targets are used that light loads may not be able to knock over.

Light is obviously a relative term. The loads I use are much lighter than factor but still make power factor easily. They are light enough that factory loads sometimes make me jump because I am not expecting the noise and concussion that comes with it.

• Like 1

Light is obviously a relative term. The loads I use are much lighter than factor but still make power factor easily. They are light enough that factory loads sometimes make me jump because I am not expecting the noise and concussion that comes with it.

Its all relative.   If they had no rules about it, I would probably shoot 9s that were on par with target quality 380.  

Its all relative.   If they had no rules about it, I would probably shoot 9s that were on par with target quality 380.  

the light loads are very light, but will still have a 130PF there is a big difference on recoil and muzzle flip on a 126 or 147 grain gamer load over any factory load you will need to try some to believe what differece that they make. HUGE

your little 380 pistol will recoil more than a 9mm gamer load.

Edited by RWF

see above post, but statement in incorrect, not even close to a factory load. they dropped the power facter on the SSR very low to 115 i think. all the action sports ammo can be down loaded.

Ah, I missed they had lowered it so far.  Have not kept up, its a lot less than I remembered! 

I was saying I would make 9s that were about at 380 power for target shooting, not that I would use an actual 380.  

They keep drifting farther away.... used to be about using stock equipment and has moved more and more into the pay to play arena.  Kinda sad.

Lagerhead, I know you shoot bayou bullets.  What's your favorite recipe on those?

I use Vihtavuori powder, 3.1gr and 147gr bullets. Of course I also have changed every spring in my gun (XDm 5.25 9mm). This won't run stock springs in my gun. 

dont crowd cover so you can shoot around the other side without extra movement

do not, if possible shoot with your feet together, weak side foot forward

do not wait for the buzzer to stop, as soon as it starts move

do not wait for steel to fall, you hear the ping go to next target.

do not try to make up a 1 down you can not do it fast enough (yet)

125/130 PF is bunny fart in a 40 or a 45 for ssp/esp    SSR is 105.........those are pretty light.

They keep drifting farther away.... used to be about using stock equipment and has moved more and more into the pay to play arena.  Kinda sad.

What has drifted?  IDPA dropped the power factor for SSR from 125 to 105 so that people could more easily make power factor with FACTORY ammo.  What else has changed?

Another reason the SSR PF was dropped was you had to reload your own ammo to make PF when it was at 125,000 or try and find some ++p you couldn't just buy regular 38spl factory ammo that was legal and the +p or the ++p wasn't recommended (dangerous) to shoot in some of the older K frames so  IDPA tested all the major name brands of the 38spl ammo to come up with the 105,000 PF.

Also make sure your muzzle stays down range at all times

Don't move with your finger on the trigger.

Do NOT touch your gun until you are instructed too.

Don't work on being "fast" work on being smooth and accurate with your target transitions.

Practice shooting at 25+ yds

STANDARDS STANDARDS STANDARDS

I know a few of those are basic safety instructions but new and experienced shooters alike sometimes have issues with this. A slow time is way better than a DQ

thank you dimeadows and of course everyone else, that is what i was hoping for people adding some different idea's. corrections etc.

i knew the minor pf was 125, i just use 130 because thats what most will target to be safe.

i was not sure about the SSR other than it changed a year or 2 back.