Glock v snubbie

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

I'm new to this whole carry thing and quite respectful of the power of firearms.

I bought a Glock or two with the intention of carrying them and I have but not with one in the chamber. At this point in time the thought scared me to death that I would screw up some how and have an accidental discharge.

My Taurus 85 stubbie on the other hand fits me like a glove and for the last week it's about rusted going everywhere I go, doing everything I do and being with me dusk till dawn. Fully loaded with an extra speed loader and 4 more in the holster. Not a thought at all about it anymore it's just there.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that I'm scared of my evil glock. But I am. With age for me has come a lot of extra caution. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's just extra nuerosis. Any thoughts? I love my glocks just cautious of them till I get some more carry time.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, you're not even close to the first person who was nervous about a chambered round while in the beginning stages of carrying.

I'd suggest carrying the Glock as much as possible, chambered or not. After a while, you'll become more confident with your abilities. You can always carry your snubby as a backup. I'd also suggest carrying your Glock around the house. The more you carry it, the sooner you'll become more comfortable.

If you can remember to keep your finger off of the trigger of your revolver you might be able to remember to keep your finger off the trigger of your Glock.

That being said, it is very common for someone just starting to carry to take some time getting used to the idea of carrying with one in the chamber and/or with the hammer back and the safety on.

But keep in mind this isn't Israel.

Guest superslacker

IMO, if you are comfortable carrying the snubby everyday and all day without giving it a second thought and you can hit your target with it, then by all means go for it. There's no shame in carrying a revolver. I've been carrying a glock for 4 years and it still makes me a little nervous sometimes.:bat:

Guest Bronker

Been there, and done that. Seriously, I went through the exact same thing when I started carrying my XD 40 SC. For a few weeks I carried without one in the chamber. I posted about it on another forum, and one of the better suggestions I got was:

-As Trip said, carry around the house unloaded, but cocked and ready to go nonetheless. I would suggest only doing this at home, and take only the snubbie as your carry gun when you go out. You don't want to have to decide which gun to go for if the proverbial excrement should strike the air-circulation-initiating apparatus. Especially when you wrongly choose to rack the slide on an already empty glock. You don't want to have to think about it. Anyway, place it in your carry holster. Go about your normal activities of the day. Add a few even more eventful activities...yardwork, rolling around in the floor with the dogs and/or kids, etc. Do things that require a great deal of motion, bending, squatting, etc. At the end of the day, check to see if it discharged. I did, and the XD didn't.

At the end of the day (make that days)...I convinced myself that I could take this gun, load it to full capacity, set it in the middle of the floor, run around in circles, jump up and down, call it names, make fun of it, talk about its mama, do a Cherokee rain dance, taunt it, sneak up on it and scream bloody murder, make it watch Days of Our Lives for 9 hours straight with my mother-in-law (enough to make me go off:D), not feed or water it, leave the room, etc...

And finally I convinced myself of the one simple truth regarding a fully charged deadly weapon...

IT WILL GO OFF, IF...AND ONLY IF, I PULL THE TRIGGER !!!

So, I bought myself a few good holsters that cover the trigger no matter where I lay it down, or where I stash it in or on my britches. And now, I continue the same basic principles of gun safety and don't give it another thought.

Not to make light, Buddy. We all go through this. And it will pass.

Good luck pal.

Well, think about it.

What's the difference between the two guns?

They both have a round in the chamber.

Neither will discharge due to heat, cold, rain, humidity, noise, etc etc.

Neither will discharge if you drop them.

Neither will discharge except in ONE WAY: yep, trigger pulled.

So really, I know of NO DIFFERENCE safety wise between the Glock and the snubbie.

Can you think of one?

- OS

Guest mikedwood

Thanks for the replies so far. I talked to Phantom6 about it last week and he said that the main cause of an unintended round going off were the trigger getting stuck in the shirt tail during holstering. Which I know I have done with the Glock twice but I don't know if it was bad enough to make it fire, but it did make me see the possibility that dang I can see how that would happen.

I'll get there I know I will but it's a process.

OhShoot, The trigger pull is the difference! One is long and hard,the other short and light.....

Okay, I'll concede that difference.

But the trigger still has to be pulled, period.

And I certainly agree that reholstering ANY loaded handgun has probably the highest risk of AD.

- OS

Oooooh...I just had an unsolved mysteries flash.

Man with unloaded handgun (aka metal rock) found dead in streets of (anytown).

J/K sounds like it would give you the confidence to start carrying it. Of course fall and winter carry change drastically over summer (in most cases) If your worried about it hanging on your shirt or coat, etc....go shirtless or get a carry bag. Maxpedition makes a fine one!

Guest mikedwood
OhShoot, The trigger pull is the difference! One is long and hard,the other short and light.

Mike;Why not try carrying it cocked,but unloaded to see if you will ever pull the trigger accidentally.

Been doing that some and no problems but my fear of an unloaded gun and my fear of a loaded gun have really gotten me attached to this stubbie. Of course it's also summer and the stubbie is cooler cause the holster is small or drop it in my pocket.

Leading me to another question with the semi's. Once a round is chambered how long can it stay and be usable. Does it have no effect on the gun like moisture or rust? Also how many times can you chamber the same round before it's suspect to malfunction.

I realize that's ^^^^ probably a dumb question that I should ask on Glocktalk instead to save embarrassment but I trust you tngunowners.org much more.

Guest Todd@CIS

If you are comfortable and proficient with your revolver, why try and jam a square peg in a round hole?

I can carry anything I want. The gun that I have with me always, on or off duty, is a S&W 642...I may have other guns on me too, but I always have that 642.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest GLOCKGUY
If you can remember to keep your finger off of the trigger of your revolver you might be able to remember to keep your finger off the trigger of your Glock.

That being said, it is very common for someone just starting to carry to take some time getting used to the idea of carrying with one in the chamber and/or with the hammer back and the safety on.

But keep in mind this isn't Israel.

i agree. :)

Guest GLOCKGUY
Been doing that some and no problems but my fear of an unloaded gun and my fear of a loaded gun have really gotten me attached to this stubbie. Of course it's also summer and the stubbie is cooler cause the holster is small or drop it in my pocket.

Leading me to another question with the semi's. Once a round is chambered how long can it stay and be usable. Does it have no effect on the gun like moisture or rust? Also how many times can you chamber the same round before it's suspect to malfunction.

I realize that's ^^^^ probably a dumb question that I should ask on Glocktalk instead to save embarrassment but I trust you tngunowners.org much more.

i never chambered a round more then 2 times after that i will put it in my range ammo box and shoot it at the range.

Guest grimel
Thanks for the replies so far. I talked to Phantom6 about it last week and he said that the main cause of an unintended round going off were the trigger getting stuck in the shirt tail during holstering. Which I know I have done with the Glock twice but I don't know if it was bad enough to make it fire, but it did make me see the possibility that dang I can see how that would happen.

I'll get there I know I will but it's a process.

Did he remind you to draw quickly and holster in a slow and controlled manner? It doesn't matter what you are using if you get in a big hurry trying to re-holster bad things can happen.

Guest janwbrown616

I've carried the Glock for as long as they've been produced. They are as safe as a revolver and easier to carry in some instances. I've dropped mine, had it thrown from a vehicle, dropped in water and mud and backed over by a truck. It has NEVER misfired, or jammed or gone off from any of the above adventures.

Having said that, You should carry what you are comfortable with.

I would NEVER carry any automatic for protection WITHOUT a round in the Chamber. If the chamber is empty, the gun might as well be in a locked case somewhere.

Just my opinion....

Guest Verbal Kint

Just shoot yourself in the ass now, and get it out of the way. Then you'll be good to go. :mad:

<--- Carries a glock, but ordered the kevlar boxer briefs. :tinfoil: