Tennessee: House Approves School Security Measure

I received this email this morning.

online_alt.jpg

0header_leg_alert.jpg

0subhead_leg_alert.jpg

572-blank.jpg

Tennessee: House Approves School Security Measure

line.gif

Yesterday, House Bill 6, sponsored by state Representative Eric Watson (R-22), passed in the Tennessee House of Representatives by an overwhelming 82 to 15 vote. Its companion bill, Senate Bill 570, passed in the Senate Finance, Ways and Means Committee on Monday by a 6 to 2 vote and is scheduled for consideration on the Senate floor tomorrow. It is important that you contact your state Senator and respectfully urge him or her to support Senate Bill 570.

House Bill 6/Senate Bill 570 would allow a person employed or assigned to a Local Education Agency to possess and carry a firearm on the grounds of that school if they are current or former law enforcement. The individual would also be required to have a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) and the written authorization of the director of schools.

This legislation would provide parents and teachers peace of mind during the school day, and allow for an important measure of defense for protecting students and faculty should the need arise. Please contact your state Senator TODAY and respectfully ask him or her to support SB 570 so that our children and teachers are provided the opportunity to stay safe in schools.

Contact information for your state Senator can be found here.

top-right.jpg

Edited by washabra
Guest 270win

I was under the impression in TN that a certified LEO, prison guard, or reserve LEO could already carry in the school.  What does this law fix?  Why not just legalize carry for all with permits and if the school catches someone with a gun they do not want there, let the school ask the person to leave but no criminal charge when the person has a permit.

Allows teachers and janitors to carry in schools, with HCP and permission. Maybe even bus drivers.

- OS

House Bill 6/Senate Bill 570 would allow a person employed or assigned to a Local Education Agency to possess and carry a firearm on the grounds of that school if they are current or former law enforcement

Help me understand.

House Bill 6/Senate Bill 570 would allow a person employed or assigned to a Local Education Agency to possess and carry a firearm on the grounds of that school if they are current or former law enforcement

Help me understand.

Oopsie. Skimmed rather than read.

Emily Litella, y'all.

- OS

Guest PapaB

Sarcasm warning.

Sounds like a real solution. I can now sleep peacefully at night. Who wrote this, Rube Goldberg?

If the 5th child is born on a day with a 7 in it and their left leg is 3/4 of an inch shorter than the right then they can carry a gun in schools where the principal is named alice or juan as long as they get permission from the superintendents mother. Yeah, that'll make everyone safe.

End of sarcasm.

Note for those wondering. Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist, inventor and engineer. He was known for designing complex machines to perform simple tasks in a convoluted way.

Sarcasm warning.

Sounds like a real solution. I can now sleep peacefully at night. Who wrote this, Rube Goldberg?

If the 5th child is born on a day with a 7 in it and their left leg is 3/4 of an inch shorter than the right then they can carry a gun in schools where the principal is named alice or juan as long as they get permission from the superintendents mother. Yeah, that'll make everyone safe.

End of sarcasm.

Note for those wondering. Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist, inventor and engineer. He was known for designing complex machines to perform simple tasks in a convoluted way.

My guess is they tried to come up with something that wouldn't cost money.  At least until the lawsuits start....

As for Rube, I consider him the godfather of German engineering.  And I used to work with a number of German engineers. 

Guest 270win

No superintendent will give permission to an employee (even off duty LEO) to carry a handgun, except in a possibly very rural area.

Off duty LEO's in Tennessee, including reserves,  can already carry in schools on their credentials.  I do not know if retired LEO's can carry in schools in TN when they get a HR218 ID.  What really does this bill accomplish?  A teacher who is a reserve LEO can carry but may possibly be breaking policy of the school.  As long as he keeps it quiet, he will be ok.

In my opinion, this bill will accomplish nothing.

Edited by 270win

So how does a school - or a police department for that matter - determine that the individual is a former LEO? In my instance, I was a LEO in a small town in another state that is not even staffed with the same administration. It's not like there's an entry in the NCIC that someone is a former LEO.

Guest 270win

I'm guessing they verify former job/certification.  But still what does this bill fix?  If you are a full time or reserve, you can already carry on school property on your credentials when off duty.

I am against this for one reason only: I am former military and still cannot carry. It does not matter. I am a citizen and should be able to carry my weapon on a college campus. Period. We must start fighting minutae and start getting rights restored. Creating a speciality class of current and former law enforcement reinforces the belief that LEOs are "special" and not civilians. They need to live like the rest of society. Period.

• Like 1
Guest 270win

Paladin I agree with you.  People carry in schools in other states with no problem, why not in Tennessee?  We need true improvement of our carry rights, not some watered down consolation prize of "Oh you get to keep your gun in your car now with a permit".  So what that is already legal in a lot of places and to me I think is worse than someone carrying on their person.  At least someone carrying the gun on them at a school can't have the gun stolen like in the school parking lot.