Turkeys have gone Silent....

I got out at 5:15am this morning.

No Gobbles

I worked a Ridge/Logging Road that has had lots of Turkey activity....nothing.

At 10:30 I started working my back to the car.

When I got to the bottom of the Hill I spotted a Tom going Up the Hill (where I had been).

The only noise it made was from walking in the leaves.

I sat down and called a bit.  Nothing.  Didn't feel like chasing after it.

That sighting motivated me to work another Ridge where I had seen several Turkeys last week.

At 11:00, I climbed up and went a few hundred Yards and spotted a Large Tom in Full Strut right in the middle of the Road.

I Sat down and called.  No response and it didn't look my way.  Still Fanned out.  

I started wondering if it was a Decoy....then I saw it move.

Started working my way closer staying behind cover.

Called some more.  No response.

Stalked in closer and got BUSTED...it ran off into the Bushes.

Took a lunch break and went back up from 2:00-4:00...nothing.

Moral of the Story:  Just because you don't hear them doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Also....don't Rush in when you spot a Tom in the middle of the road!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. Last weekend I heard one gobbler that was fired up but, he was on a neighbor's land. Just got in a while ago from hunting a different spot and saw 3 jakes and called'em right in but, didn't shoot. Ended up seeing about 6 more but, all hens. Did n't hear any gobbling though. I'm gonna hunt there saturday morning. Good luck to everybody.

I have hear more gobbling this year than any other. <br /><br />I hunted this morning and they gobbled all morning, they just went the wrong way. <br /><br />It's normal for the gobblers to go quite when they hook up with the hens in the morning. They usually start back gobbling a little later in the morning after the hens go to nest. <br /><br />Still lots of hunting left.
Guest Averhoeven

Skunked.

But it was a nice day to sit in the woods.

Caught my limit in Ticks!

Careful with those ticks, there's a national Doxycycline shortage!

Gobbling should stat back up again this week.

Please post if you hear it.

I was at Boxwell Reservation for Scout Camp over the weekend and saw a bunch of Large Toms there.

Hear NO Gobbling, a little bit of Cackling when some Dogs started harassing Hens at about 3:00am :)

Gobbling should stat back up again this week.

Please post if you hear it.

I was at Boxwell Reservation for Scout Camp over the weekend and saw a bunch of Large Toms there.

Hear NO Gobbling, a little bit of Cackling when some Dogs started harassing Hens at about 3:00am

:)

I hope they start back up. I hunted hard the whole weekend and never even got to set up on a bird. I'll let verybody know if I hear any.

Edited by roverboy

I'll report back for the Maury County area this Saturday.  Last weekend I saw nothing but hens but the weekend before I talked back and forth with a gobbler for 2 hours who was deep in the woods and would never come out.  Frustrating.  I would have made too much noise going in after him.  The pursuit continues. 

Thanks!

Just don't want to miss the 'bump' before the season ends.

I went out yesterday end of day and didn't see/hear anything.

But a friend of mine was out riding horses and saw a few a couple days ago strutting in the afternoon in my favorite hunting spot.

So they're still there....