MVP Varmint 5.56

Guest CZ2075

Guest CZ2075

I finally got around to burning some ammo through the new Mossberg. I installed a 3x9-42 Sightron II, and roughed it in at 40 yards before the latest trip out. I was able to look the gun over at the store before buying it it. I have seen some pics of bad fit, but mine fits the stock well and everything looks good. I really like the looks of the rile with the laminated stock, and it also fits me well. There are a few few things that may bother some such as the bolt is not super smooth to operate, the mags have some wiggle when installed, and my rifle only likes metal mags. The rifle feeds well from the factory mag, and a 10 round ASC mag. I have attached a few pics from my range time. Keep in mind, I am not a benchrest shooter and this is the first time I have ever shot prone. I was using a set of Caldwell sandbags, and shooting at 100 yards. Sorry only three shots groups this time, as I was running out of daylight. So far I am very pleased with the rifle.

IMG_20130412_190903_zpsa0567f75.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1/9 twist should shoot 69s wonderfully.  My Savage 10PC is 1/9 and I have no issues up to 77gr.  69 gr Sierra match king with 24gr of Varget is my show off load lol.  Of course ymmv...   My guess is trigger or poor breath control and you got a flyer.

Don't give up on the 69s just yet (5 shots will be more definitive and rule out a flyer or lucky group, hard to do with our current ammo situation though I know...)

Thats a good looking rifle.

Edited by trevorst
Guest CZ2075

Thanks,trevorst. I hope to get out and try all the rounds again plus a few more. I am new to group shooting, so I am sure there was some user error on my part. I haven't checked the trigger weight yet either, but it is adjustable. Having the ability to reload and replace the factory rounds I am shooting makes it a little easier to swallow. 

Guest CZ2075

Fired a few five shot groups with the 50 gr. LCT and 55 gr. Winchester Varmint X performing the best. I also had a couple others at around an 1 1/2. Usually three or four nice clusters and a flyer. I need to practice my trigger control, and things should get better. Hopefully I will be able to work up some handloads soon.

IMG_20130420_202338_zpsd0bf4814.jpgIMG_20130420_202354_zpse8c28f5e.jpg

Guest CZ2075

I figured I would need a baseline to refer back to in order to judge mine and the rifles improvement over time. Plus I wanted to check performance with different weight bullets. I now have 100 rounds through it, and will start working up some loads of my own.