1022 recommendation

graycrait

I have been dorking around with 1022s for a while.   A couple of recommendations if you have decent eyeseight and like to hit sometimes moving targets.

1. Get a Green Mountain 24" Running Boar barrel.  Install it, it is easy.

2. If you have a newer polymer trigger housing, get the new Kidd trigger kit for 105.00 and install it - it is easy.

3. Get and install a C-More Railway 4MOA red dot

4. Stock choice: Ideally get a Tapco with a forward vertical foregrip, but to save money the 24" Running Boar will fit in either stocks designed for  standard taper carbine barrels or .920 barrels, whatever you have on hand. The barrel pictured below is in an Archangel Target stock and works well but if I had this barrelled, scoped receiver in a standard stock or tactical stock it would work as well or better.

cmore1022_zps03cb4aec.jpg

Edited by graycrait
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice setup…here is mine - sorry no pic available except the small one I uploaded for my avatar. No internal mods yet, but I have an extended mag release and auto bolt release to install just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Aim Sports quad rail over the  carbine wood stock (love the contrast and was cheaper than an Arch Angel kit). Right now a 4x scope on top, puts all 25 rounds in a 2 inch circle at 50 yards and can put 25 in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards. I have a new Vortex 3.5-10x50 scope I think I will install this weekend and try to dial it in more.

Have a bipod on the lower rail, and a 45 degree offset holographic on the left rail dialed in for 25 yards. Great shooting, fun at the range and deadly in the woods.

Edited by jonathon1289

If on a budget and want a much better trigger pull than what comes on a stock 10/22 then replace the hammer with the Voquartsen target hammer for about 35.00: http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC10TH&Category_Code=R1A

This really applies to the metal trigger housing that Ruger used to make as they have inconsistent specs, but the VQ hammer works its magic in any of them.

If you have a poly Ruger housing I can emphasize the Kidd trigger group enough.  It is costly, 105.00 plus shipping, but it works so well.  http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-1022-trigger-job-kit_p_95.html  I don't know how well they may work in a metal housing but they are great in the more consistent spec polymer housings.

Lastly setting the torque on the action screw that holds the rifle stock and action together is simple with most 10/22s the trick is the barrel's v-block screws.  Because i switch out things a lot on my guns, not just 10/22s, like optics, I needed a good torque driver.  I got the Wiha 10-50 inch lb torque driver and I think it is great.  http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/285vario_s.htm

There are a couple of other variable torque drivers recommended by gunsmiths and tinkerers, but their cost is about 2x what the Wiha is. This is one of them: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/general-wrenches/torque-limiting-screwdriver-prod18668.aspx

Of course there is always the Fat Wrench and maybe that one is good enough. 

I also have one of these and it is reliable but it is huge I find it awkward to use for my purposes.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-handles/magna-tip-adjustable-torque-handle-prod25706.aspx