Esee 3 Forced Patina & Dyed scales

Guest KCampbell

Guest KCampbell

I got this Esee 3 about three months ago,and just because I can never leave anything alone I removed the scales and dyed them black and then a few days ago I decided to strip it and do a forced mustard patina.I like it, it seems to stay sharper a little longer to without the factory coating.I did the striping with aircraft stripper and the scales are dyed with black Rit.

20130304_185214_zps1b75885d.jpg

20130409_184121_zps4e25590b.jpg

20130409_184128_zpsb8ab1b2b.jpg

Edited by KCampbell
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KCampbell

Man, that looks great.I really like the mustard patina on the carbon steel.

Thanks,I think it came out pretty well, I was considering doing apple cider vinegar but I though it would look to reddish.

Guest KCampbell

Sweet!!!  I wish ESEE would make models of their knives without the coatings on them, just so you can do stuff like this, easily!

That would be awesome,and maybe a nicer sheath.I might try my hand at a kydex one eventually.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Guest Broomhead

Thanks,I think it came out pretty well, I was considering doing apple cider vinegar but I though it would look to reddish.

Looks damn good! Good job.

The vinegar, if left on long enough or done while the vinegar is hot, will turn the steel a uniform grey. It shouldn't turn red at all, that would imply that it is rusted.

Edited by Broomhead
Guest KCampbell

Looks damn good! Good job.

The vinegar, if left on long enough or done while the vinegar is hot, will turn the steel a uniform grey. It shouldn't turn red at all, that would imply that it is rusted.

Would you submerge it in the hot vinegar to get the uniform grey or what?I have another knife I may try that with,a uniform grey would be nice.

Guest Broomhead

Yes, submerge it after a good degrease and removal of any oils and fingerprints, leave it for awhile, depending on how dark you want it to go. Then take it out and scrub it with a non-scratch scrubbing sponge, like a [url=http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BriteBrand/Scotch-Brite/Products/Product-Catalog/~/All-Purpose-Cleaning-Pad?N=4337+3294631809&lang=en_US&prodID=0ND5C4BRRQgs&rt=rud]Dobie pad[/url] (not a Scotch-Brite pad). This will remove the gunk and reveal the grey coloring. If it's not dark enough for you, just do it again. You can use a Scotch-brite pad but it will cause scratches similar to sandpaper, most people just create a scratch pattern by scrubbing in one direction from grip to tip.

Another thing you can use is ferric chloride, aka PC board etchant from Radio Shack. It will give a much darker grey, almost black, than vinegar will. Most folks dilute it with water, usually 2 or 3 parts water to one part FC. Submerge it for a few minutes, remove and scrub like you would with the vinegar. Repeat it if you want it darker. Be sure to neutralize the FC with something like ammonia glass cleaner or a baking soda paste, then oil liberally after cleaning that off.

Edited by Broomhead
Guest KCampbell

Yes, submerge it after a good degrease and removal of any oils and fingerprints, leave it for awhile, depending on how dark you want it to go. Then take it out and scrub it with a non-scratch scrubbing sponge, like a [url=http://www.scotch-brite.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotch-BriteBrand/Scotch-Brite/Products/Product-Catalog/~/All-Purpose-Cleaning-Pad?N=4337+3294631809〈=en_US&prodID=0ND5C4BRRQgs&rt=rud]Dobie pad[/url] (not a Scotch-Brite pad). This will remove the gunk and reveal the grey coloring. If it's not dark enough for you, just do it again. You can use a Scotch-brite pad but it will cause scratches similar to sandpaper, most people just create a scratch pattern by scrubbing in one direction from grip to tip.

Another thing you can use is ferric chloride, aka PC board etchant from Radio Shack. It will give a much darker grey, almost black, than vinegar will. Most folks dilute it with water, usually 2 or 3 parts water to one part FC. Submerge it for a few minutes, remove and scrub like you would with the vinegar. Repeat it if you want it darker. Be sure to neutralize the FC with something like ammonia glass cleaner or a baking soda paste, then oil liberally after cleaning that off.

Cool thanks a lot. I will probably give both methods a try.The FC especially

Guest KCampbell

it seems to stay sharper a little longer to without the factory coating.

This part is in your head.  The factory coating isn't actually on the sharpened edge so it wouldn't effect edge retention.  

You're right, maybe it just seems to be cutting easier

Guest Broomhead

Cool thanks a lot. I will probably give both methods a try.The FC especially

Oh, and use a plastic, glass, or rubber tray for the FC, and stay away from aluminum trays with the vinegar. Don't worry about neutralizing the FC after all, I just read the bottle and it said that washing it will stop the reaction.

Birchwood-Casey's Perma-blue will give you an almost black finish and will keep a highly polished blade shiny, whereas the FC and vinegar will give more of a matte finish.