looking for a 3". 10mm auto, any ideas?

mci2727

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Wesson makes a Commander-sized Bobtail 10mm 1911.

Yes, and they are very nice but sort of hard to find. When you can capture one expect to pay around $1000.

I would post a "caught in the wild" picture, but I sold it yesterday.

Yes, and they are very nice but sort of hard to find. When you can capture one expect to pay around $1000.

I would post a "caught in the wild" picture, but I sold it yesterday.

I know that there are 2 of them at Hero-Gear in 10mm... (I've almost bought one of them several times... check for drool marks). And yeah... DW 1911s are easily a grand. But, they have the quality of 1911s twice the price.

Yeah, we a couple DW 10mm bobtails in stock. We sell quite a few of them.

DW 1911s represent one of the best values in the 1911 market. They have a very narrow product line, but the guns they do sell are first rate and a ton of bang for the buck.

If you want to get snobby with your 1911 purchase, We have 20 or so from makers like Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, Ed Brown, etc that will run you 2k and up. :P

Guest EasilyObsessed
I know that there are 2 of them at Hero-Gear in 10mm... (I've almost bought one of them several times... check for drool marks). And yeah... DW 1911s are easily a grand. But, they have the quality of 1911s twice the price.

My father picked up a Pointman Seven back in January and that gun is AMAZING. Every time I shoot it I have momentary flashes of regret for picking up the CDP Pro instead of the DW Commander Bobtail.

medium weight, fast moving projectile(10mm)>heavy, slow projectile(.45acp)>medium weight, medium velocity projectile(.40s&w)> light, fast moving projectile(9mm)

Yeah, but I can put three 9's on target, before you can get 2 10's there. Plus I'll have some left over for the other guys!:hat::D

Guest Grout
Yeah, but I can put three 9's on target, before you can get 2 10's there. Plus I'll have some left over for the other guys!:hat::D

Never shot a Glock 20 have you?.The recoil is very snappy meaning you are back on target faster.

yea, but where as you NEED all 3 9's to hit your target in order to stop him, i only need 1 10 to stop him :love: and im pretty sure all the 10mm autos carry more than one round :D

well, honestly I love the 10mm round. I hunt with it in a modified Glock 20 with a 6in Glock hunting bbl. I have had Colt Deltas, Bren 10's, S&W's and Glocks. I must say the only ones I could get to run for my satisfaction are the Glocks and the S&W 1006's. Now Im picky. The Colts all had little issues at one time or another and it was hard to find good quality mags for them.

Not too familier with the Dan Wessons, but its a 1911 and a 1911 pistol is only as good as its mags... so how are the DW mags? Because its going to be tough finding good ones by another company.

So IMHO... the S&W 1006(big and heavy) or the Glock 20(big and light) or the Glock 29(small and light) are the only ways to go in 10mm.

Just my :hat:

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
Someone tell me why i SHOULDNT get a Dan Wesson Commander in 10mm besides the ammo cost. Im really starting to want one and probably should hold off.

you are asking a question that no one has an answer for.

unless you get one of the holy JMB 1911 guys that preach the 1911 should be chambered in .45acp and only .45acp

Well right now I have quite a bit of .45 ammo and no .45...I sold my last one and thought for sure I would have another, but after comparing ballistics and magazine sizes (single stack) I see no reason to use a .45 over a 10mm and the DW Commander is the perfect size (4.25" as I was previously leaning on a Kimber Compact Stainless that is 4")

Guest Verbal Kint
Someone tell me why i SHOULDNT get a Dan Wesson Commander in 10mm besides the ammo cost. Im really starting to want one and probably should hold off.

You'll shoot your butt off! Wait... what 10mm platform are we talking about again? :hat:

Guest Verbal Kint
Dan Wesson....not that plastic stuff your carrying :D

No pics of the P6... and now your dissin' my "heater"! Oh snap! That's strike 2... one more. :hat:

Well............

Of the folks I know of who have and tout a 10mm, regardless of brand, they seem to have an attitude of, "Hey, I can handle a caliber that even the FBI couldn't", rather than "I have a caliber that does a lot better than a 40 S&W." The term "cowboy" comes to mind.

There are advantages in larger, but slower, rounds at close range. That's why I carry a 40 S&W for urban work, while longer distance field work gets a 9mm. In all honesty, I don't see an advantage in the 10mm. Bleed out time is the same as a 40 S&W. Ballistic vests still stop them and the time back on target is significantly slower. The cost of factory rounds is also higher, of course, and reloading incurs additional civil liability.

In all, I think there are a lot of reasons to not go with a 10mm. I know of no serious professionals who use them.