Radios for SHTF

So I'm looking for options for short range radios in a bad situation. Range would be as far as possible, but at least 500-800 yds in the woods. Need to be able to run a hands free headset, and need a suggestion for that too. Price and battery life are also major consderations. I have longer range stuff covered, so this would only be for communications while scouting ahead, around camp, etc. Thanks guys

Spots, if you don't mind me asking, what setup do you have for long range and what distance does it achieve? I was trying to read into it, but I have to much stuff bouncing around in my head to nail down which frequency is best and which model has the longest distance. I start reading that stuff and eventually I just exit out, start over later.....

I have a cheap CB radio in the truck, with a fire stick, and an amplifier. I can get a long ways with the amplifier, not that I've ever tried because thats illegal. But some of the bigger ones your talking states away lol. It only works if both parties have them, otherwise they can hear you but not the other way around

If you have your license,

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88470

Around $100 for the whole setup (Radio is only $40), will give better range than blister pack radios.  When you're in your car you can hook it up to an external mobile antenna. If you can hit a repeater you'll easily outrange a CB.  In addition to 2m and 70cm you can also monitor FRS and NOAA weather. You can recharge via USB cable from what I understand meaning a solar charger like the Goal Zero kit will keep you up and running.

The Baofeng UV-5R is another very popular radio in this price range. It's a little larger, but still very small and does allow for direct freq input as well as full 5w transmit.

• Like 1
Guest uofmeet

When it comes down to it, It is all about antenna and antenna height. You can have the best amp in the world, but if your antenna is crap, it doesn't matter. A long time TV/Radio engineer, MARS/Ham friend says if he had $1000 to spend, he would spend 100 on the radio and $900 on the antenna. Also, antennas that come stock on hand held radios, they are called rubber ducks, or rubber dummy loads.

I knew about licensing before I bought it.  The father in law is licensed already.  I've spent a couple of hours studying already, and am getting ready for some testing that is coming up in the 'Boro in a couple of months.  (May and July)  This is for my survival prep, so I'm pretty excited.

Guest MilitiaMan

Not sure if you are interested in overall communications, but check out the TRC-500 w/ VOX. If you are looking for decent walkie talkies too.

Guest Ceolas

We did MURS band base station and handsets on our farm.

http://www.amazon.com/MURS-TWO-WAY-BASE-STATION-RADIO/dp/B0002XQWF2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365611642&sr=1-2&keywords=murs+radio

With the right antenna and terrain you can supposedly get 8-9 miles.

When going base station to handset, my real world experience has been ~1.5 miles.

I have a 6 foot copper J pole on the side of the house.

I don't wanna get too much off subject, but I'm looking at getting a ham license this summer any tips or recommendations as to what license to get, I'm not sure I would use it alot with the exception of a shtf scenario.  My stepdad has had his for a while and is the one that is responsible for getting my to start thinking about it.

• Administrator

Technician class is fine for anyone who wants to talk "locally" on 2-meter repeaters.  Depending on the repeater network you're accessing, local can mean multiple counties and states.  We routinely hear folks from Kentucky and Alabama on the middle Tennessee ARES repeaters.  Without a repeater you're looking at multiple tens of miles of distance of commo, terrain and atmospherics dependent, when operating in simplex mode with another station.

The General class license can certainly get you across the country and into foreign countries with the right equipment and right conditions.  Extra class is the top of the heap and is geared up for much greater distance commo, again with the right equipment and conditions.

It looks like everything posted requries a ham license. Does anyone have a suggestion for good short range radios. As I said im not looking to chabge my long distance, Im only looking for short range, small groups radios.

Other than piercedan's suggestion. I will look into some c9bras with voice activated headsets

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere Edited by Spots
It depends do you want range and public contact or do you want privacy. <br /><br />A ham setup is good but that's public and do not rely on repeaters in a SHTF it's a high probability they will be down. <br /><br />A CB is more public but with Single Side Band is a bit more private to the newbies while adding range plus cheaper. <br /><br />I have both and in a SHTF id be on Ham to talk to others and CB on low power and or "off channel" to stay a little more private. <br /><br />On the less then legal side some swear on marine radios for range and weather toughness. <br />
Guest Ceolas

It looks like everything posted requries a ham license. Does anyone have a suggestion for good short range radios. As I said im not looking to chabge my long distance, Im only looking for short range, small groups radios.

The MURS set-up I posted is un regulated. No license required.

• Administrator

I a real SHTF situation I don't think many folks are going to be worried about the FCC but in the meantime get your license....

Non-licensed individuals may already use any available comm frequencies in case of emergency, per the FCC.  The catch is you must be able to prove you were in an emergency situation if you are challenged by the FCC later.