Buying a mattress (Nashville / Knoxville)

So my fiancee and I are moving to Nashville soon and one thing we want is a new bed.  We are looking to get a king size mattress but we have never bought one.  We realize that beds cost a fair amount of money for quality.  Anyone know of a good place around Nashville where you can get a decent quality mattress and not spend an arm and a leg?  We currently live in Knoxville and are not opposed to picking one up out here and transporting it if there are any good places out here.

Thanks all.

Edited by TNcitizen22
We bought ours at Clinton Bedding. They used to have a shop in Solway (between Oak Ridge and Knoxville) but I don't think that store is open anymore. We paid about $2000 for the upper version but it wasn't the top tier. It was a lot of money but we love it, it's a great mattress. The key to it is its a pillow top on both sides so it can be flipped to extend its life.

If we were to buy another one I'd seriously look into Sleep Number, I've heard they are good, but haven't priced or laid on one.
If you would have posted this about 2 weeks ago, I could have gotten you a smokin' deal on one. My girlfriend works for Southerland, and she gets 3 killer deals (usually about 1/2 retail) per year. Problem is, everyone hits her up within the first couple months. I'm pretty sure she's all out of discounts, but I'll ask. Edited by TripleDigitRide

The wife and I had a sleep number and hated it. If the sides were at different settings, the person on the high side would roll off on to the lower side. That was several years ago.they may be different now.

We bought a Jamison from Brown Squirrel and absolutely love it. They're made in Franklin, TN so I'm sure you could find someone close that sells them. Our King memory foam bed cost us half of what a comparable Tempurpedic and its designed better I think because it won't make you overheat. Check em out.

If you would have posted this about 2 weeks ago, I could have gotten you a smokin' deal on one. My girlfriend works for Southerland, and she gets 3 killer deals (usually about 1/2 retail) per year. Problem is, everyone hits her up within the first couple months. I'm pretty sure she's all out of discounts, but I'll ask.

The wife and I have a Southerland and love it. We picked it out of the crowd based on feel, quality, warrantee, etc. It was just a bonus that it was made in TN. 

for the mattress people, we have a question...

Usually buy cheap mattresses but 2 years back we bought an expensive memory foam, think it's a sealy.  This darn thing got a dip in the middle of it just like our cheap ones did, even if we flipped the old ones, and rotated the memory foam (can't flip it).  We thought about buying a sleep number or other adjustable one for the new house this month, but Glenn's issue is not one we want to deal with either.

I guess it's cause I have a big butt or something, cause my wife and I together weigh about 300 pounds and barely sleep maybe 6 hours per day at most.  Does anyone know of a good mattress that is resistant to getting that dip in the middle? Don't think anyone with a warranty actually covers that.  At this point in time we don't really care how much it costs cause we can't afford to keep buying these $700 mattresses every few years, we want it to last a long time.

We've purchased a couple of mattresses at Sleepwell Mattress Outlet and been pleased with the value.  First one was on the cheap (because that was what we could afford) and while it didn't last forever, considering the price, I felt like we got our moneys worth.  (For what it's worth the wife and I are not height / weight proportionate and thus hard on a mattress.)  Second time we spent more and it's holding up better.  IMHO, while not always a perfect correlation and I assume there is some point of diminishing returns, I think you typically get what you pay for with mattresses. 

The wife and I have a Southerland and love it. We picked it out of the crowd based on feel, quality, warrantee, etc. It was just a bonus that it was made in TN. 

They do make some very nice beds. They don't advertise, so they aren't as well known as brands. They make everything from the cheap ones that I wouldn't force my dog to sleep on, to their top of the line gel beds. I have gotten many for friends and family over the years, and no complaints so far. As a matter of fact, they had some kind of year end inventory reduction a few years ago, and a few TGOers took advantage of it. If I get rid of her now, I'll be forced to sleep on crappy beds again.

I forgot to mention I bought a queen size Englander firm mattress from Knoxville Wholesale Furniture. That mattress is great!!! It was too firm for my wife's liking so we upgraded to a king. But I would go look at KWF an lay on some and see what you think. Good prices.

for the mattress people, we have a question...

Usually buy cheap mattresses but 2 years back we bought an expensive memory foam, think it's a sealy.  This darn thing got a dip in the middle of it just like our cheap ones did, even if we flipped the old ones, and rotated the memory foam (can't flip it).  We thought about buying a sleep number or other adjustable one for the new house this month, but Glenn's issue is not one we want to deal with either.

I guess it's cause I have a big butt or something, cause my wife and I together weigh about 300 pounds and barely sleep maybe 6 hours per day at most.  Does anyone know of a good mattress that is resistant to getting that dip in the middle? Don't think anyone with a warranty actually covers that.  At this point in time we don't really care how much it costs cause we can't afford to keep buying these $700 mattresses every few years, we want it to last a long time.

I weight more than both of you combined, and I've never had that issue with the Southerland beds that we get through her employer. They've always been the higher-end beds. With that being said, the warranty should cover that. Southerland does.

There is a certain amount of "dip" that they consider "normal". You'll need to take somethng flat (like a yard stick) and place it over the dip like a bridge. Then you'll have to use a ruler or measuring tape and measure the distance from the deepest part of the dip to the bottom of the yard stick. Take a couple photos of the measurement. This is the process they use at Southerland for warranty issues, so I'm sure other companies will do something very similar. I would contact the manufacturer before I buy a new bed. 

Edited by TripleDigitRide
If there is one thing that I have learned in life it is that you get what you pay for with mattresses. I cringed the first time I paid for a Temperpedic mattress at the high price, but have never slept so well in my life. My wife and I now have 2 in our home. I do not think there is a price that I would not pay for the great nights of sleep these mattresses have given her and I for the last few years.

I know a lot of people like spring mattresses better and that is fine, I guess my point is get the absolute best mattress that you can afford there is no substitute for a great night of rest Edited by willis68

I bought a mattress from The Bed Store in Maryville about a year and a half ago.  It is a memory foam mattress and the brand is Vivon.  I am extremely happy with it.  I happened to get this particular mattress on clearance and paid about $800 for the mattress and box springs, it is a queen size.  My parents have a Tempurpedic and say they can't tell the difference.  The people at The Bed Store were very helpful in choosing a mattress and were very low pressure.

There was a newschannel5 special awhile back about used mattresses bein sold as new here in nashville at several discount mattress places including essex. Like 3 weeks later we went to one of the branches of one of the other companies they mentioned, they had some stupidly expensive units & a closeout section. One of their closeouts had a small visible stain through plastic I could see, I asked & he claimed it was from a roof leak but it was just water. It was almost script & verse what the salesman said on the undercover special. We walked 2min later. Mattresses have a manufacture date on the tag. Don't buy anything new that is more than 4-6 months old.
We bought an Englander normally 1900 for 700 at an independent family owned one on mallory lane kind of across
from barnes & noble. Great service but I can't remember the name offhand. Love the mattress.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I bought a mattress from The Bed Store in Maryville about a year and a half ago.  It is a memory foam mattress and the brand is Vivon.  I am extremely happy with it.  I happened to get this particular mattress on clearance and paid about $800 for the mattress and box springs, it is a queen size.  My parents have a Tempurpedic and say they can't tell the difference.  The people at The Bed Store were very helpful in choosing a mattress and were very low pressure.

We also bought one from The Bed Store in Maryville about 5 years ago.  By far the nicest and most knowledgeable sales guy we found, and we went a bunch of places.  Our mattress is a Sterling & Thomas and it's ... ok.  Its a normal spring mattress with a layer of memory foam on top.  It too has developed dips where we typically sleep.  The Sealy pillow top we had before was in better shape after 10 years than this one at 5 years old. 

I got my Serta iComfort at rooms to go. It's MSRP pretty much every where (around $1,200 I think) but if you shop around you'll find places who offer bonus items. I went to R2G because they had a deal where if you bought the mattress, they would toss in two of the matching pillows. Granted they were for a queen and we bought a King.. but those things are like $100 a pop. So it was worth it.

Best mattress ever. Looking back, I almost wish I had bought one of the more expensive models. It may seem like a lot of money but it's soooooo worth the investment since you spend a third of your lifespan sleeping.

***edit***

By "looking back" I mean that as, I LOVE MY MATTRESS and could only imagine how much nicer the cush upgraded model must be.

Edited by NoBanStan