Outdated signs? Signs over the bar? Carry or not?

I have been in several places that have outdated signs...you know the ones that say it is a crime to carry a weapon where alcohol is sold.  They are normally about 8.5" x 11" and printed in red letters and they hang over a lot of bars.  I have seen them in Walgreens near the cashier, and at Puleo's Grill and numerous other places.  There are no postings on the door that say guns are not allowed.  Only this outdated sign for a law that no longer exists in Tennessee.  When I pass through the entrance of an establishment and see no signs prohibiting guns, what am I to think when I see an illogical/outdated/meaningless sign like this?  Do I turn around and leave, or do I ignore it because it no longer has meaning?  Thoughts?

Best wishes, B

To me, an outdated sign like that doesn't show that the owner is trying to limit your 2A rights. When that law was in place, it was the law and the owner had no say in the matter; regardless of whether he was the strongest 2A supporter in the state or not. I wouldn't let the sign you describe deter me from patronizing an establishment, unless they had properly posted signs at the door (in line with current law). This would show his true intent of non-support for the 2A, and I would likely keep moving and choose another establishment.

Obviously, if posted or not posted, if you're enjoying refreshments it's best to leave the piece at home.
  • Like 1

In some places it's not the owner.  Some ABC agents are still telling places the they have to post the "guns and alcohol" signs just like the "pregnacy" and "ID" signs.  Don't know if the individaul agent has a problem following the law for personal reasions, if his boss has told him to enforce the old law, or if it's an agency just not keeping up with changes in the laws in their instructions to their agents.   There seems to be a disconnect between agancies and the legislature.

• Like 1

Those old signs don't really make sense to me anyway.  I seem to remember that most of those signs were used before HCP's.  In those days, it was illegal to carry a handgun anywhere, whether in a bar or not. I could be wrong though. I feel if an establishment is not posted correctly and according to state law, then it's not to be considered as a posted establishment. The law should have been clear on this.

• Like 1

...  In those days, it was illegal to carry a handgun anywhere, whether in a bar or not. ...

Yes, but it was actually a separate additional offense to carry where booze was sold. It was even illegal for an HCP holder the first 2 or 3 years the permit was enacted, then HCP holders were exempted, then whole statute was repealed in 2010 that these type signs refer to:

ABC.jpg

ABC2.jpg

- OS