In search of Lee Lubesizer

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do have a question the reloaders bench had a .357 but is that to far out of spec for a 9mm?

i slugged the barrel and if i did it right it was .356 Edited by camp

I load the Lee 356-124 RN in my 9mm. They drop at .358. I load them "as cast".

They load fine in the case, pass the "plunk test", and shoot good. I'm shooting a Glock with a Lone Wolf barrel. They also shot fine in my stock Glock barrel.

I'd say give them a try. If they will chamber, they will shoot.

i did loads fine , used a se of mic's and it did not bulge the case at all, you think its good to go with out being sized.

thx

steve

If it goes into the chamber form the mag, yes try it.

You will not have any problems shooting them as cast. When you seat the bullets in the case the case sizes them down a little. I bet if you pull the bullet from the case it will be perfect.

I try to make sure my cast bullet are .002" over the bore. And I have never had a problem.

Cast bullets are different than jacketed bullets. Cast bullets easily squeeze down to the bore diameter where jacketed does not. I honestly cannot think of any negatives from a bullet being .001"-.002" over while a bullet that is the same size as a jacketed ro smaller can have problems from leading. In a pistol leading is caused by gas making it past the bullet and this is caused by a bullet that is undersized. When a cast bullet is fired it kind of squishes out of shape and seals itself to the bore. If the bullet is too small no smount of squishing will seal it to the bore.

What kind of lead are you using?

Guest TN.Frank
Even if my bullets drop the exact size that I need I still like to run them through the Lee sizer die just to keep things consistent. If your barrel slugs at .356" then you want to be .001" over size or .357" so if they're dropping at .357" then you should be good to go but it'd still be nice to run them through the sizer die to make sure they're all round. Measure the bullets on both axis and I'll bet that they're not round if you're using a Lee mold. I've NEVER had a Lee mold that'd drop a round bullet, hence the sizer die to true them up and make them round.
thx frank, i still plan on getting one just not in as much of a hurry, i loaded 20 rounds and other than they needed a little more powder they seemed to work good, they just did not consistently cycle the action.

thx

steve
Guest TN.Frank
I know a lot of guys over at the Cast Boolit forum don't bother with sizing, they just shoot em' as they drop but me, being somewhat OCD, would just rather take that extra little step to make sure they're round and true then to just shoot "as is". What can I say, I'm just "funny" like that.LOL.
Right now I'd say if Midway USA has one in stock order from them, they'll get it to you in 2-3 days. Graf & Sons is shipping up to 3-4 weeks from the day you order. I ordered some 9x18mm Lee dies, trim gauge and collet and extra shell holder on Monday the 1st and it's still not shipped. Not sure why Midway USA can get an order out and to you in 3 days and Graf & Sons takes weeks, guess they're just better organized or something.
thanks all, they are droping at .357 127grn , loaded on top of 3.6grn #2 acurate they are working good.

i know on my 40 they drop at .402 and will bulge that case so i had the same concern on the 9 but after trying 30 or so rounds they seem to be working great.

thx for all the help

steve

Do you have a taper crimp die? If so you can size your boolit while crimping it in. For most that size to .356 & then taper crimp too them the boolit will be resized again  to a smaller diameter.

If loading your .357 as dropped boolit doesn't bulge your case then just taper crimp it in.

Edited by xd shooter
Do not go below .356" in a 9mm otherwise you will have a leading problem.

Nothing bad can happen from having an oversize cast bullet. I shoot .313" bullets in a verified .308" bore.

I use a bullet that drops at .357" without issue. I am sure the case takes it down to .356". The only time I have has leading was when I used a cast bullet sized to .355".