Bird # 1 2013...interesting day!

Well, I was skunked last weekend hunting a new farm locally.  Hadn't seen much sign there, so I decided to go back to my honey hole.  Now, I haven't hunted in TN in four years because I moved up north so it was no real surprise (disappointment, yes) when I saw a couple of trucks parked on the farm when I got there.  It's an hour drive, but worth it so I began the hike the half mile into where my spot is.

About 1/3 the way through the woods (got there a bit later than planned) I spotted the top of 3 strutters' fans, so I set up on 'em.  They were already henned up and headed away from me.  I circled wide on 'em heading to my 'spot' only to find a popup blind about 50 yards from where I wanted to set up.

Had to hunt back in the woods further than I like.  Next couple hours spent hearing other hunters shoot.  In total heard 8 shots....some pretty close by.  Lot's of gobbling, just couldn't get 'em to come my way.  Everybody seemed have the 'gobble, gobble bang' luck except me.

I set up about 200 yards from the guys in the popup and stayed quiet and let them call, hoping I may have a stray walk by on the way to check 'em out.  More gobbling, but no bangs.

About 10:00 I backtracked to see if the trucks were still there, and luckily I fainally had the woods to myself.  I made a beeline to my 'spot' to check it out.  Pretty grown up.  The old groundblind I had 4 years ago was pretty much wasted, so I figured I'd tear it out and start to reconstruct it for a midweek hunt.  Made a ton of noise, so I figured any Tom that was nearby was gone.  Looked in my pack and couldn't find my favorite all-weather striker.  Must've lost it, so I figured I'd practice a bit with this old graphite striker that I can't use worth a flip....always sound like crackhead mallard for some reason.

Yup, sounded like crap....but first cutt I was cut off by a fairly close gobble.  Soooo....I plop my but down in my 'spot', put my gloves and mask on and start making more ridiculously heinous noise with the slate.  He keeps cutting me off gobbling hard!  Before long I see a big ole white softball head Tom coming my way about 100+ yards out.  Coming kinda slow at first, then he made his mind up that he had himself a nooner in the making and beelined it to me in a darn near run.  Waited til he went behind a cedar and set the sight on the opening, and boom at about 35 yards.  Didn't know it until I shot, but there were 2....the second one took flight.  They must've been racing each other.

I run down and flop on him so he doesn't mess his fan up from flopping around.  After he 'seems' dead, I pick him up by the feet.  Only thing is this sucker's far from dead!  Evidently this bird's turned into a 'walker.'  Couldn't get his neck wrung, so I had to club him with a rock...got blood all over my hands, my gun, my gear....kinda squirted out the side like a zit!

Anywho.....here's the bird.  22 pounds, 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs. 

zksb9v.jpg

• Like 1