What is a good knife sharpener to buy?

I forgot all about that sharpie method! I used pass that on all the time!

You can also buy the wheels for bench grinders. I know a lot of people have one of those in their garage they hardly use. If you have the right make, they even have aftermarket jigs you can attach to get a uniform edge.

I mentioned my Smith's system earlier. I also wanted to share that I called Smith's to inquire about purchasing a replacement clamp because I'd messed up one of the adjustment screws. The telephone rep from Smith's sent me a replacement clamp FREE OF CHARGE!!!!!

That's customer service.

For those of you that want the best bang for your buck, I just bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204MF from a reputable seller off of Ebay for $53.68 shipped, this is a great deal on a knife sharpening system so good that Mr. Chris Reeve himself uses this kit in his shop.
  • 1 month later...

Spyderco Sharpmaker is the best bang for you buck, unless you want to spend more than $200.00 then I would go with Edge Pro Apex 4, that is the kit that I use and love

The Edge Pro looks GREAT. You can set the precise angle for the knife, and I assume, log the distance to the top of the bar with calipers so you can return to it later. I'll own one of them, probably sooner than later. I'm way too spastic to get anywhere with bench stones.

I bought the belt sander sharpener. It does a good job, but I don't trust it for real good knives.

Edited by mikegideon
I used to watch my dad sharpen a knife on a handheld stone and get it sharp. I can't do it. Mine never has a clean edge. I can't make every stroke at the same angle.

So, I have to use a system of some kind. I like the Smith/Lansky style and used one for a while until another thread just like this turned me onto the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's so easy, even I can do it.

The Edge Pro looks GREAT. You can set the precise angle for the knife, and I assume, log the distance to the top of the bar with calipers so you can return to it later. I'll own one of them, probably sooner than later. I'm way too spastic to get anywhere with bench stones.

I bought the belt sander sharpener. It does a good job, but I don't trust it for real good knives.

You will not regret the Edge Pro, you can do a mirror polish on a razor sharp blade that will blow you away. The only thing is you can not do a Recurve blade like a Zero Tolerance 300 series knife with out an adapter, this is why I bought a Spyderco sharp-maker as well now I can sharpen anything. I did own a Wicked Edge system for a short while, a friend of mine wanted it so bad that he made me a trade offer so good I could not pass on it, they are extremely nice as well but at the end of the day will cost you more than the Edge Pro will

You will not regret the Edge Pro, you can do a mirror polish on a razor sharp blade that will blow you away. The only thing is you can not do a Recurve blade like a Zero Tolerance 300 series knife with out an adapter, this is why I bought a Spyderco sharp-maker as well now I can sharpen anything. I did own a Wicked Edge system for a short while, a friend of mine wanted it so bad that he made me a trade offer so good I could not pass on it, they are extremely nice as well but at the end of the day will cost you more than the Edge Pro will

Yeah. I have a 350. I was scratchin' my head on that one.