S&W 340 PD

Guest YANKEE2500

Guest YANKEE2500

I'm thinking about getting a Smith 340 PD. I'm wondering what those of you who have or have had one have to say about it. Thanks John

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton
I'm thinking about getting a Smith 340 PD. I'm wondering what those of you who have or have had one have to say about it. Thanks John

I have a good deal of experience with the 642/442's in .38sp and they are great pistols. I have not shot the 340 PD, but I bet 11.4oz and .357 is gonna kick like a mule!

• Administrator
I know of a good gunshop in East Nashville that will give you a deal.

I can point him to several of our authorized vendors also. It's always nice to support those who support us here at TGO.

• Coal Creek Armory
  • Goodlettsville Gun Shop
  • Guns and Leather
  • Hero Gear
  • Skip's Firearms

Gallatin Gun Shop isn't too far from Nashville's East Side either. :screwy:

Guest Todd@CIS
The Scandium Snubbies are basically uncontrollable with magnum ammo.

Best bet is a 642 or 442.

+1

Recoil is abusive with little gain in terminal ballistic performance from a 2" barrel.

You also may run into certain rounds "jumping crimp" because of the recoil.

Additionally, and this may not matter to you, the clearcoat finish used on the scandium guns is a little more delicate with some cleaning methods. I had a 342 that I used Gunscubber on and the clearcoat started to peal off after the first use. I contacted S&W and they said they don't recommend GS on their scandium guns.

Since they didn't put that warning in the owner's manual, they refinished the gun for free. I sold it and went back to a 642.

The scandium's small weight savings wasn't worth it to me.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest mtsusean
The Scandium Snubbies are basically uncontrollable with magnum ammo.

Best bet is a 642 or 442. I know of a good gunshop in East Nashville that will give you a deal.

I bought a 442 from that place of which you speak. Great pocket gun and I ordered a Mika holster for it which I got last week.

The price was right and I didn't have to drive all the way to Greenbrier or Gallatin.

• Administrator
Goodlettsville gun shop???

Or am I missing some place?

My bad. :blush:

I bought a 442 from that place of which you speak. Great pocket gun and I ordered a Mika holster for it which I got last week.

The price was right and I didn't have to drive all the way to Greenbrier or Gallatin.

You know, just because I already have the reputation of being a dick in respect to this stuff... I'm going to start charging people for advertising every time they try to get one in for Rabbi.

Rabbi is no longer a vendor here because of the misleading information he thought was funny to include in his for sale posts and subsequently refusing to remove that stuff when asked and then ordered to do so.

If you guys are going to be cute and try to post thinly veiled references to his shop, then I'm going to start invoicing you for a month's advertising each time it happens. And when you refuse to pay for the advertising, you'll be banned for posting unsolicited commercial ads exactly as HE was banned for doing so.

This stuff stops now or heads start rolling. We have vendors who have chosen to support this site and who operate with the utmost of integrity and offer our members tremendous deals, often at better price points than they give to "walk-ins". We will absolutely protect their investment in our forum by ensuring that everyone plays by the rules.

And you can take that and go back to TN Civil Society and bitch and whine about it all you want. But you won't be bitching about it here if you refuse to cease.

Period.

You know, just because I already have the reputation of being a dick in respect to this stuff... I'm going to start charging people for advertising every time they try to get one in for Rabbi.

Rabbi is no longer a vendor here because of the misleading information he thought was funny to include in his for sale posts and subsequently refusing to remove that stuff when asked and then ordered to do so.

If you guys are going to be cute and try to post thinly veiled references to his shop, then I'm going to start invoicing you for a month's advertising each time it happens. And when you refuse to pay for the advertising, you'll be banned for posting unsolicited commercial ads exactly as HE was banned for doing so.

This stuff stops now or heads start rolling. We have vendors who have chosen to support this site and who operate with the utmost of integrity and offer our members tremendous deals, often at better price points than they give to "walk-ins". We will absolutely protect their investment in our forum by ensuring that everyone plays by the rules.

And you can take that and go back to TN Civil Society and bitch and whine about it all you want. But you won't be bitching about it here if you refuse to cease.

Period.

well, its about time this came out. now its in writing for all to follow

• Administrator
well, its about time this came out. now its in writing for all to follow

I'm going to assume you're supportive of this. If so, thanks. It simply is not fair to our supporting vendors to keep allowing this childish underhanded advertising to happen without being addressed. These vendors have been exceedingly patient as the Staff has tried to handle it with at least a little diplomacy.

My diplomacy has run dry. It has to stop.

I've got one, and I have no problem shooting the Speer Gold Dot in 125gr .357 Mag.

What I can't shoot a lot of, however, are the Remington jacketed soft point 125gr, also in .357 Mag. These are a lot hotter, I think, and I've still got an almost-full box of them that I've had for nearly a year.

That said, I love this gun. It goes practically everywhere I do, because it's so damn easy to carry. Depending on what I'm wearing, it's either in a SmartCarry holster (under my hospital scrubs), a DeSantis Nemesis (when I'm wearing shorts), or a Blackhawk Serpa (when I'm wearing jeans and an untucked shirt...or want to carry openly).

yes, i am supportive of it. now it is written in the public forum so that there is no excuse for anyone to continue the actions that have been happening. you're right it isnt fair for the supporting, paying vendors, who follow the rules btw, to put up with continued advertising for a former vendor that broke the rules and was banned for it.

IMO your previous post has been due for quite some time now. You have been MUCH more patient than I could have been while dealing with this matter, and more than reasonable just from what i have seen, and from what i understand i havent seen half of it as it wasnt in the public forums.

Diplomacy can only do so much, after a certain point you have no choice but to take action.

I carry the 340PD daily as a primary or backup depending on how I am dressed, and what the zombie threat level is.

If you make it down my way, I would be happy to let you shoot mine, and I can also give you an amazing deal on one if you wish to purchase one.

Guest m4coyote

My cousin has a 340 PD, and it will probably be my next purchase. My wife has a 638, and the 340 PD is quite obviously lighter. I really like the 638, but the little PD really rocks. I agree with the above statement that the 125 gr. Gold Dots are not too bad, but they will definitely get your attention. The blast and recoil are stouter than the garden variety .38 special +P.

There may not be much terminal difference between .38 special +P, and the .357 mag. out of the short barrel, but there is a difference. If one had to use the little PD for defending life or limb, then you probably would never notice an increase in the recoil.

Guest mtsusean

You're quoting my post as a reference?

I've shared my experience with an authorized S&W vendor. I also mentioned a holster manufacturer that sent me an excellent product. He's not an authorized vendor here.

I've also bought a Series 70 Colt and shotgun at Guns and Leather. I bought a SP 101 and 50th Anniversary Ruger Mark II years ago from Goodlettsville Gun Shop. All those transactions were good experiences. And I've been to Hero Gear. And to Coal Creek Armory.

But nowhere on this site do I see an "authorized vendor" list.

If you want to make your statement, it's your site. But please don't use my statement as the proverbial straw. Making the announcement in this thread will limit the visibility throughout the site so that all are informed.

Guest Verbal Kint

But nowhere on this site do I see an "authorized vendor" list.

If you want to make your statement, it's your site. But please don't use my statement as the proverbial straw. Making the announcement in this thread will limit the visibility throughout the site so that all are informed.

I personally find it funny that you started a thread, and asked the question about the vendor list, over on "that other site" an hour ago... and just now pose the same question here. Guess you had to get it out of your system first, and share with the others, before you tried getting an answer from the source.

Not that I haven't noticed that trend before from you, in threads over there.

I'm sure the staff will address the vendor list soon and post a current copy, as this has been thrust back onto the front burners due to recent incidents. And as they stated over on the other site, it was being worked on before but I think Tungsten got busy with other feature and neglected to complete that project.

Guest mtsusean
I personally find it funny that you started a thread, and asked the question about the vendor list, over on "that other site" an hour ago... and just now pose the same question here. Guess you had to get it out of your system first, and share with the others, before you tried getting an answer from the source.

Not that I haven't noticed that trend before from you, in threads over there.

I'm sure the staff will address the vendor list soon and post a current copy, as this has been thrust back onto the front burners due to recent incidents. And as they stated over on the other site, it was being worked on before but I think Tungsten got busy with other feature and neglected to complete that project.

what trend would that be?

I'll go ahead and edit...

it was implied in this thread there is a vendor list in place. Where is it?

Edited by mtsusean
Guest Verbal Kint
Why won't this die?!

A - Because TGO is a communist party and all non-believers must be sentenced to death!

B - The fact that Bill still hasn't figured out how the hell to turn off unregistered viewing of threads, or create a private area, for Triggertime and Steelharp to continue their bitch sessions. (Read: Any time someone pisses and moans over there, it gets relayed back over here.)

C - People keep trying to slide promotions in under the radar, any chance they get, even though it's public knowledge that he got his privileges revoked for not playing nice.

Take your pick.

I kinda like option A... would give you AK guys something to do. :D

I think there is more conspiracy theories than really exist. It's starting to feel like McCarthyism. I posted one and it was in no way some underhanded slight. But to have discussions pertaining to firearms and not be able to mention certain (one in this case) shops is a little crazy if not petty. Kinda like wanting to talk about big box stores and not being able to mention Target cause they messed you over one time....or ten.

You can run around trying to put out all the little fires, but in the end you're just get tired and choke on the smoke.

Guest Steelharp
B - The fact that Bill still hasn't figured out how the hell to turn off unregistered viewing of threads, or create a private area, for Triggertime and Steelharp to continue their bitch sessions. (Read: Any time someone pisses and moans over there, it gets relayed back over here.)

May I have an example, please?

Edit: I did a search of all of my posts there, and didn't find one that would measure up to the above accusation. I would sincerely like clarification, please.

Edited by Steelharp
Guest Verbal Kint
May I have an example, please?

Well I liked your comment about TGO standing for "The Grand Orifice" and stirring the pot by bringing up the reloading thread Rabbi had started before his ban. Those were good, and just one of the threads you commented in. :D

I'm not going to argue with you or any of the other members from over there. It's all in public on that site to see, if anyone really gets bored enough to read it... or isn't sick of this crap by now. But I will ask why people that think this place sucks so badly keep coming back?

Guest Steelharp

I see. I can see where the TGO thing might be considered in a "bitching" vein. The other simply is not.

This isn't a bad place at all. There is a wealth of good info and good people here. I would never want to be in a mods shoes.

(Wait. I am, on the steel forum.)

I must admit, though, in all the avenues I've traveled in life, I have found few people as strong in their opinions as firearm people; and few people that are equally as anal about the veracity of their opinion alone.