I want to restore this, who can offer advice?

UncleJak

This was given to me by my grandfather. It is over 100 years old and seems to be in ok shape.  i want to re-do it but don't know where to start.  It doesn't have to look like the original either.  I was thinking a camo stock, shorter barrel, re coated metal...

Any help is appreciated.  Here is a pic:

photo6_zpsad190d0f.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

First check the lock up.

Make sure itis unloaded.

Close it.

Grip the barrel with one hand the stock with the other.

Try to twist and open with out unlocking the action.

There should be no play or movement. You do noy want aby flex between the receiver and barrel.

If there is do not fire it until you have it looked at by a gunsmith

Next look at the bore is it heavily pitted, is it damascus steel? in either case don't shoot it until you get it checked.

Do you know the chamber length? It could be shorter than 2 3/4 inches. In which case shooting modren shotshells could cause an overpresure situation which is bad.

First check the lock up.

Make sure itis unloaded.

Close it.

Grip the barrel with one hand the stock with the other.

Try to twist and open with out unlocking the action.

There should be no play or movement. You do noy want aby flex between the receiver and barrel.

If there is do not fire it until you have it looked at by a gunsmith

Next look at the bore is it heavily pitted, is it damascus steel? in either case don't shoot it until you get it checked.

Do you know the chamber length? It could be shorter than 2 3/4 inches. In which case shooting modren shotshells could cause an overpresure situation which is bad.

Ok, did all this.  It has the slightest amount of play when i move the barrel like i want to open it.  The bore is good and looks like 3", but definitely 2 3/4. It is a 16 gauge Colombia. It also has a weird  flower looking thing on the side that flips open.  Here are some pics:

0330131211_zps7d5c09a5.jpg

0330131212_zpsf09c4ff3.jpg

Old 16 gauge shottys were made for a shell that was 2 9/16" be really careful to make sure a modern 2 3/4" is ok in it! If its not the thing could go boom, but not in a good way. There is a gunsmith that can do everything you are wanting to do (personally, I agree not to change it but it is yours to do with as you want) up in Springfield, very good 'smith and a great guy - http://www.midtngunsmithing.com/